300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Foot

*I understand that each department and city is different so that plays a factor in the answer*

Is it very common for officers to be out on foot? I have seen the new chief in my city (I believe he's been the chief for about 3 years now) has encouraged officers to "get out of their cars and be among the people." They're always talking about building a relationship with the community within neighborhoods, the downtown area, etc...

to give you an idea, we are a city of about 300k (a little bit of positive spike in the summer) and around 625 officers. I think it would be great to be able to do that, but is it practical with the amount of calls coming in? We're a pretty high crime area, and just on the ride along I went on, they were backed up for hours and hours.

- do you think it's practical ?
    -Is it much more common in smaller towns as opposed to cities and does it REALLY just break down to the amount of personnel vs miles to patrol?
    -do you do a lot of it personally?
    -would you like to do more of it?
    The loudest one in the room is the weakest.

Originally posted by Bauer View Post
    *I understand that each department and city is different so that plays a factor in the answer*
    Yep

You answered your own question
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

They gave me a car for a reason.
      Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

As long as you have portable communications (radio and / or phone), why not park the vehicke, het out, walk around, stop to talk to business owners, staff, and customers, and by-passers, or visit an elementary school, high school, or university?

If you are running call-to-call, I get it, but no sense just cruising around looking like you never get out and about.
        #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
        Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
        RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
        Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
        "Smile" - no!

Comment

I've always worked in an Urban setting so can't say anything about Rural or Suburban policing. Some areas of the city where I work have 'foot beats'. A lot don't. The downtown district is heavily congested w/ auto traffic most of the day. An officer on foot makes good sense. We also consider those on Segways and bicycles to be part of the 'foot beat' unit.

I used to ride a bike in a pretty high crime area. My 'mission' was to be visible. I'm proud to say that the vehicles in the parking lots that I patrolled did not have a single break in during my shift.

Depends on how the units are utilized as to how effective they will be. Very good at addressing quality of life crimes such as aggressive panhandling, homeless people relieving themselves in doorways etc.
          Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Practicality depends on geography, staffing and call load. Go to downtown Chicago or NYC and you will see foot officers everywhere.

Comment

Foot beats are pretty cool. Excellent way to get positive PR for the department. Provided that it is practical for your community, I think it’s an excellent idea.

Honolulu PD had a serious image problem and morale issues due to recent happenings with upper brass. New chief has put more officers on foot. These officers have an opportunity to interact with the community and promote a “positive image” of the department. I’ve seen foot beat officers helping elderly get across streets where drivers would previously zoom by with pedestrians in the crosswalk! Also seen foot patrol officers interacting with vagrants. A lot of the vagrants provide excellent intel on what’s going on, and in a few cases provided PC that helped solve some cold cases.

Provided that the department had the personnel and resources, foot patrol isn’t a bad idea.
              Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

In my agency, we are expected to do foot patrols when able, but most of our patrol is by vehicle or bicycle (if applicable).
                The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                that we are all that stands between
                the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Get out off the car and go kiss hands and shake babies. . . ..

In all seriousness. Our command staff encourages us to go meet the citizens of the county. We will stop in at local businesses to go say hi. We mark it down as a business check but in reality it may be a bathroom break and BS session with a local farmer.In the end its a positive contact. Who knows he might have a good farm pond loaded with bass that no one fishes.

Neighborhoods are great to find groups enjoying a cool evening in the front yard. I'll typically pull up and have a quick chat.

Working for a Sheriff's office that is very active in the community has its advantages. Its not all about traffic stops and tickets. Our level of calls varies from busy to dead. We can choose to run traffic while waiting on a call or go out and to "Community Policing".

Comment

15 years in patrol with LASD and never once did foot patrol...but 40 plus years ago had no portable radios and cell phones weren't even invented yet. Patrol area was too large and did not have a central business district.
                    Retired LASD

Comment

Plenty of foot posts in New York City.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7174 users online. 284 members and 6890 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X