Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will i be pulled over for this modification?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will i be pulled over for this modification?

Im living in Orlando Florida. and i recently. purchased an 2007 BMW M6 Coupe. I Really LOVE the car. its got an 5.0 L V10 Engine that puts out 500 Horsepower. its a real good car. but its stock sound doesnt seem loud enoguh to me. Now i dont mean any offense to any department or individual of law enforcement. But to my observation the police are prejudice and agressive towards modified or tuned cars. Now i surely hope you know the term: Ricer. For those that dont know. ricers are your typical teenagers in their honda civics. or hyundais or dodge neons that put an folgers cofee can as an exhaust. its tips are so big you can insert an arm... they put clear tail lights. rear wings that are taller then the car. and even horrible stickers... like they wanna be in fast and the furious movie. they all drive like they got 500 hp beasts under them. rev at you at red lights and try to race you making obnoxious noises. do fly bys...with their fart cannon exhausts... and neon lights... ew... Anyway. its tasteless. They put stickers of parts they dont even have modified into their engines such as NOS ( Nitrous oxide system) HKS Turbo and KN stickers. well. they want people to think they got a mean car. They think theyre cool but theyre lame... ( i got bad english sorry for the long post) Now ill get to my point :
    Im thinking of getting an aftermarket exhaust for my M6. Both for the vocals and performance enchancements to the engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlrjox2am9I Hope linking isnt forbidden here. but this is the exhaust im thinking of getting. but i would like you to remember this is BMW s answer to Ferrari F430 its an Exotic supercar. not an mitsubishi evo or ETC. it costs 115 grand. Not meaning to show off.. My question is can i be fined or pulled over for this exhaust system?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h8OE-46l_Y here is the slightly quieter version of the same exhaust. Thanks for any advice you may give. Because in my respective opinion pulling over an BMW M6 for an loud exhaust is like pulling over a Ferrari F430 with Tubi exhaust system because its loud. It sounds beautiful. These kind of cars are meant to be like this.theyre performance purposed. and no i dont speed on streets i obey all driving laws. i do my speeding and adrenaline quenching activities on track. My last opinion is if you would pull this over.. you should pull over all ferrari owners because thats logical.. hell harleys make more sound. It seems the LEO guys have an grudge against modifiers. we dont street race... and in no way are ricers. Im sure a experienced officer with knowledge on motoring can spot a ricer. and a finely tuned car. Thanks...

PS: I Agree about complaints. But its an V10! For god sakes lol. Please pull over civics or annoying ricers...thanks and sorry for my bad english and long post

I don't know FL law, but in the jurisdictions I have worked in it is illegal to replace factory exhaust with an after market system that is louder than the factory standard.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

Same here. In Virginia, if you modify an exhaust to sound louder that what came from factory, it is considered illegal. I personally do not enforce loud exhausts if people drive them like they have some sense (gradual acceleration; not gunning it at stop signs). But if they cause excessive noise (flooring it), it's time whip out the 'ole summons-book.

Comment

Originally posted by Landric
        I don't know FL law, but in the jurisdictions I have worked in it is illegal to replace factory exhaust with an after market system that is louder than the factory standard.
        Same for Maryland and I do enforce it.

Comment

In Missouri, we have local ordinances that deal with excessive noise. If your modification is too loud, you will be cited for it.

The question you really need to ask yourself is, why does it need to be louder? I have a BMW 750il which is a 12 cylinder and I see no reason for the engine to sound any louder than the factory exhaust provided by BMW.

To make your car louder you are only saying to everyone around you "Look at me! Look at me!" So, don't be surprised if the local police decide to pay you more attention than you desire.

You have a nice car, so allow people to appreciate it and admire it for what it is without the cheap theatrics.

Regards,
          C

Comment

Originally posted by cblackthorne

You have a nice car, so allow people to appreciate it and admire it for what it is without the cheap theatrics.
            My thoughts exactly. There is no need whatsoever to modify that car. How loud your exhaust is shouldnt matter. Leave that beautiful machine alone.

EDIT: an interesting side note..... you say you do your racing at the track and are not a "ricer", but you mention nothing about your modified exhaust improving performance, higher horsepower/torque, etc. only how it sounds??????
            Last edited by Fuzz; 04-07-2007, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Hmmm something smells here. Your profile says your a student born in 1984, possibly default because you didnt include any info on you AND you buy a 2007 M-6 which costs about $100,000....
              AND you want to change it? Hmmmm
              I dont buy it...
              And if its true, is your job hiring?
              Last edited by e-man; 04-07-2007, 04:57 PM.
              I got nothing for now

Comment

+1 e-mann

You're more likely to have your car searched than to be cited for your exhaust.

Comment

Actually. It gives 30 hp increase including X Pipe and supersprint headers. ill also be getting 3.91 rear LSD and power pulley . air intake. suspension kit. all from DINAN :P and also Kelleners Sport camshafts...and For all you doubters. in which post did i say i paid for it?... I Havent earned 100 grand yet in my life but when i work hard enough to earn it my self im gonna pay back to the great man i owe this possesion to...And im not doing this to turn heads. even if i was there is nothing wrong with that. people will turn heads for this car to see what cars making that exotic sound... for ricers they just get annoyed. And also. this car is BMW rival to Porsche 911 turbo. and Ferrari F430 so this is a supercar. If someone would give this a ticket or pull it over for loud exhaust. Then they should be pulling over all the Ferrari and Porsches.. thats ridiculous. Civics are economy cars that are meant to get you from point a to point b. theyre not meant for racing. or performance. But M6 is a capable car from the factory.but BMW made its setup more tamer so its also more comfortable and economy friendly. the reason i mod it is im focusing more on performance. And yeah... Point is my dad paid for it...

Comment

Will I be pulled over?

M-6 Owner, you asked a question, you got some honest answers. Sounds like you didn't like some of them. Hey, enjoy your car. Seems like to me part of that enjoyment would be not getting stopped/cited. You can control that. Show you butt at intersections, etc, yah, you'll get stopped,yah, you'll get cited. Your call all the way.

Comment

Please don't tell me your father bought you an M6.

Regarding your exhaust question, I live in Florida and I have an aftermarket exhaust on my car. I've never been pulled over for it. Then again, I don't drive a ricermobile, I don't drive like I'm on the track and my car has a deep throaty rumble at low end and sounds like a Porsche at high end...so it's not exactly a displeasing sound. And my exhaust is pretty loud when I step on it.

Comment

Originally posted by M6-Owner
                        Actually. It gives 30 hp increase including X Pipe and supersprint headers. ill also be getting 3.91 rear LSD and power pulley . air intake. suspension kit. all from DINAN :P and also Kelleners Sport camshafts...and For all you doubters. in which post did i say i paid for it?... I Havent earned 100 grand yet in my life but when i work hard enough to earn it my self im gonna pay back to the great man i owe this possesion to...And im not doing this to turn heads. even if i was there is nothing wrong with that. people will turn heads for this car to see what cars making that exotic sound... for ricers they just get annoyed. And also. this car is BMW rival to Porsche 911 turbo. and Ferrari F430 so this is a supercar. If someone would give this a ticket or pull it over for loud exhaust. Then they should be pulling over all the Ferrari and Porsches.. thats ridiculous. Civics are economy cars that are meant to get you from point a to point b. theyre not meant for racing. or performance. But M6 is a capable car from the factory.but BMW made its setup more tamer so its also more comfortable and economy friendly. the reason i mod it is im focusing more on performance. And yeah... Point is my dad paid for it...
                        If the pipes increase the noise that the engine puts out, then you are violating the law in most jurisdictions. The legislative intent is that vehicles operate as quietly as possible. If you are modifying a car for speed, then run it on a race track and make as much noise as you want. But don't expect to be able to operate that same car on the street. If I lived next door to a car like the one you describe, I'd probably be on the phone every time the owner fired it up.

And I don't think your argument that the pipes will add 30 HP to a engine that already puts out 500 HP is going to get you too far in traffic court. There's not too much that is lawful that you can do with 500 HP that you couldn't do with 150.

The police, and the public policy generally, view cars as how you described Honda Civics. They are conveyances that are intended to get you from Point A to Point B in relative safety and comfort. Getting a pickup truck is a reasonable accommodation when you need to carry large or heavy items. Buying a van or minivan is a good choice for when you need to transport more than three or four people. A 500 HP car doesn't have much in the way of lawful application on public streets if it is used in a way that takes advantage of its special capabilities. If you're expecting to get attention, you won't be disappointed. But the attention may not come from the sources you want.

I'd save the money you're putting into modifications for traffic fines and higher insurance rates.
                        Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Im living in Orlando Florida. and i recently. purchased an 2007 BMW M6 Coupe.[COLOR=Red] I Really LOVE the car. its got an 5.0 L V10 Engine that puts out 500 Horsepower. its a real good car. but its stock sound doesnt seem loud enoguh to me. Now i dont mean any offense to any department or individual of law enforcement. But to my observation the police are prejudice and agressive towards modified or tuned cars. Now i surely hope you know the term: Ricer. For those that dont know. ricers are your typical teenagers in their honda civics. or hyundais or dodge neons that put an folgers cofee can as an exhaust. its tips are so big you can insert an arm... they put clear tail lights. rear wings that are taller then the car. and even horrible stickers... like they wanna be in fast and the furious movie. they all drive like they got 500 hp beasts under them. rev at you at red lights and try to race you making obnoxious noises. do fly bys...with their fart cannon exhausts... and neon lights... ew... Anyway. its tasteless. They put stickers of parts they dont even have modified into their engines such as NOS ( Nitrous oxide system) HKS Turbo and KN stickers. well. they want people to think they got a mean car. They think theyre cool but theyre lame... ( i got bad english sorry for the long post) Now ill get to my point :
                          Im thinking of getting an aftermarket exhaust for my M6. Both for the vocals and performance enchancements to the engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlrjox2am9I Hope linking isnt forbidden here. but this is the exhaust im thinking of getting. but i would like you to remember this is BMW s answer to Ferrari F430 its an Exotic supercar. not an mitsubishi evo or ETC. it costs 115 grand. Not meaning to show off.. My question is can i be fined or pulled over for this exhaust system?
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h8OE-46l_Y here is the slightly quieter version of the same exhaust. Thanks for any advice you may give. Because in my respective opinion pulling over an BMW M6 for an loud exhaust is like pulling over a Ferrari F430 with Tubi exhaust system because its loud. It sounds beautiful. These kind of cars are meant to be like this.theyre performance purposed. and no i dont speed on streets i obey all driving laws. i do my speeding and adrenaline quenching activities on track. My last opinion is if you would pull this over.. you should pull over all ferrari owners because thats logical.. hell harleys make more sound. It seems the LEO guys have an grudge against modifiers. we dont street race... and in no way are ricers. Im sure a experienced officer with knowledge on motoring can spot a ricer. and a finely tuned car. Thanks...

PS: I Agree about complaints. But its an V10! For god sakes lol. Please pull over civics or annoying ricers...thanks and sorry for my bad english and long post
                          Ummm, looks like YOU purchased the car. Not sure what your trying to say in your last post by saying in what post did YOU say YOU paid for it?
                          AND if anyone noticed his first post is pretty well written, proper english but the next one is alittle more childish and ricer type...
                          Just my observations.
                          Like Mr. Dees said, 400 hp or 500hp is NOT reasonable on the street, I got a camry with 268 HP and I cant use it, it can get you in trouble. Especially IF your a student with a year or 2 driving experience.
                          The answers you and ALL car modders get here are NOT what you want to hear, not going to help you get out of a ticket etc. BUT you came here, if ya dont like it, go away.
                          Or like tim said save the money and use it for your fines and costs.
                          I got nothing for now

Comment

Why not just buy a regular 6 series coupe/conv and do the engine work. I have owned 3 BMW's and none were M's. The point of the M6 is that they have already done all the work for you and got you the incredible 500 HP stock...legal....no tickets...etc. If you are going to risk tickets or getting pulled over save your money.

Comment

See? Prejudice again...I do NOt street race. and nor do i have any will to spend money for another car to make a car built for track this car will be my daily driver. which it currently is after mods it will put out 600 hp. Look at it this way : Modifications to increase your cars engine power is not illegal...and your comment about a 500 HP car being not much lawful is very wrong...Why dont we limit all cars to 50 hp then? Thats ignorant... if i got money and demand a car of high luxury and performance i have every right to drive one. No one has the right to ticket me for the car i paid 115 grand for and rightfully purchased and street legal. Well look at it this way.. Its a bloody german supercar. If a cop fines me for a loud exhaust i will take it to court. Because this car is meant to sound like this. And i believe if a modification is done in a street legal and tasteful manner no one can ticket me for this. I Wont get cat removal but i will get the exhausts. it passes emissions test and every qualification. A Cop who fines my M6 for loud exhaust but doesnt fine Harleys and Ferraris is more ignorant than a rapper. Its street legal and raises power. and im sick of hippies complaining about loud exhausts on tasteful cars like these. jealous because they own a prius while i got a german supercar... okay this seemed hateful but I HAD to vent it.... This exhaust makes 96 DB sound without cat removal which is onyl 1 db above limit... Unless im not making noise like down shifting and revving or gunning it for the sake of attracting attention. He can ticket me for noise pollution but if im driving by and the car is naturally loud. And he pulls me over. I WILL take it to court. and request he fines every loud ferrari and harley on site....Thats how it is. Ive never seen an Ferrari or harley get puleld over for loud exhaust. And no ferraris arent loud like that from factory... trust me i know they put Tubi exhausts. so if you ticket me you should ticket all ferrari owners. i have every right to modify my car street legally conforming with laws.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5537 users online. 302 members and 5235 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X