X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hersh
    replied
    Originally posted by e-man
    There is no set percentage in PA. It has been upheld in court {i know from experience} that 'if its too dark that it prohibits me from seeing the occupants in the car' then its ILLEGAL. I dont care what your friends are going to say about percentages, we dont use them in PA.
    click here for a link

Just google PA vehicle laws
    Rosincore,
    Most vehicles are manufactured very close to the standard of 70% transmission. Don't listen to what the knuckleheads at the mod shop tell you. They hear 70% and twist that as blockage. While this level is not a reason for the vehicle to be rejected at inpection, it is a violation of section 4107(b)(2) of Title 75 Pa. Consolidated Statutes (Unlawful Activities) that Inpection certified officers may cite for. Other officers must cite under the Windshield Wipers and Obstructions section wherein it states that the vehicle can not be seen into. Realize that the amount of tinting required to meet this level changes with light availability. Exhaust systems must be "effective" at reducing noise.

Leave a comment:

• prelives1337
    replied
    After all this talk about car moding and what's legal and not, I was talking to my buddy who has been working on his '85 Mustang for a few years about what's legal and not on his and he asked what the fine is for having no "catalytic converters". Since I don't know too much about the in depth's of cars and such I'm not quite sure what that is? So could anyone shed some light on things for him as to what a general fine may be in Ontario? Haha, thanks all.

-- Mike

Leave a comment:

• rosincore
    replied
    Originally posted by SgtCHP
    No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section. (Source: P. A. 77‑37.)
    I wasnt asking for myself.. I was asking to know about other cars. People always have loud cars around here and its very annoying. But if it says you cannot modify the exhaust system, how do people get away with it? Cops can most of the time hear them when they drive by.
    I have seen many cars that you cannot see inside. I also heard this is alloud only if the manufacturer of the car made it this way.
    Thanks alot.

Leave a comment:

• redbird07
    replied
    No comments on how to modify your car. Just spend your money on something more worthwhile.

Leave a comment:

• e-man
    replied
    Scary thing about M6 and his dillusions of grandeur, I love BMWs. BUt now I understand the 'uppity' 'snooty' attitude they exude....
    Last edited by e-man; 04-09-2007, 01:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SgtCHP
    replied
    Originally posted by 99 Fenix
    what exactly is a whistle tip? sorry, ive been at work for about 10 horus on a 16 hr shift..my brain is fried..sounds like it would make you appear to have a turbo?

Wikipedia's definition:

Whistle tips, also known as whistler tips, are a piece of metal installed into the exhaust pipe of a car in order to make a high pitched whistling noise audible for up to a mile. They are mostly popular in Oakland, California, USA, where they achieved notable recognition after a KRON-TV newscast that featured a man who identified himself only as "Bubb Rubb" who told reporters "The whistles go whooooooooooo... When you want the 'woo woooooo', it's that 'woo woooooo', you know what I'm sayin'?", "That's only in the mornin', you (supposed) to be up cookin' (breakfast) or somethin' by then, so it's like an alarm clock. 'Woo woooooo'... and they ain't trippin' off the flows (flowmaster mufflers)". Another whistle tip fan in this particular interview was "Lil' Sis" who, during the interview, says, "They decoration man, it's just for decoration that's it and that's all, man, we do it for decoration", and "Yeah, I got it on my car". "Lil' Sis" is the one who "shows-off" the newly installed whistle tip and not "Bubb Rubb", as many mistakenly think (hence "Yeah, I got it on my car"). As "Lil' Sis" and "Bubb Rubb" drive off, she narrowly misses a parked car in addition to running a stop sign.(DSJH) [1] The newscast has become a legendary piece of internet humor and Bubb Rubb himself is arguably now more popular than the whistle tips that started it all.[citation needed] Whistle tips are now illegal in many North American municipalities.[2]

Leave a comment:

• 99 Fenix
    replied
    what exactly is a whistle tip? sorry, ive been at work for about 10 horus on a 16 hr shift..my brain is fried..sounds like it would make you appear to have a turbo?

Leave a comment:

• SgtCHP
    replied
    Originally posted by ask80
    hey sgtchp, can I cite under that PC for choppers and harleys? i mean some of those bikes are so damn loud...

and i do agree that putting loud exhausts are damn annoying...and are useless on the streets... i think people that do all the import stuff, like change their headlights, lower, body kit, spoiler, etc is all a waste of money. yes i do understand if it's a hobby and they enter in competition but i see too many on the streets thinking they are some professional racer. But in reality their only street racing training they've had is playing need for speed on their PS2. they don't get no EVOC training, like cops.

and i still don't understand the point of upgrading from 500hp to 600 hp on a stock M6? so you can be cool? if your daddy bought you the m6, then how come you didn't just ask for a ferrari or a saleen s7? i'm assuming money is no object for you..
    CVC 27150 (a):

27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all
    times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and
    properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and
    no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass,
    or similar device.

CVC 27150.3:

27150.3. (a) A person may not modify the exhaust system of a motor
    vehicle with a whistle-tip.
    (b) A person may not operate a motor vehicle if that vehicle's
    exhaust system is modified in violation of subdivision (a).
    (c) A person may not engage in the business of installing a
    whistle-tip onto a motor vehicle's exhaust system.
    (d) For purposes of subdivisions (a) and (c), a "whistle-tip" is a
    device that is applied to, or is a modification of, a motor vehicle'
    s exhaust pipe for the sole purpose of creating a high-pitched or
    shrieking noise when the motor vehicle is operated.

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor
    vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted
    by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance
    with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits
    established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with
    Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an
    exhaust system so modified.
    (b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor
    vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less
    than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or
    less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers
    Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle
    exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to,
    nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

27152. The exhaust gases from a motor vehicle shall not be directed
    to the side of the vehicle between 2 feet and 11 feet above the
    ground.

27153. No motor vehicle shall be operated in a manner resulting in
    the escape of excessive smoke, flame, gas, oil, or fuel residue.
    The provisions of this section apply to motor vehicles of the
    United States or its agencies, to the extent authorized by federal
    law.

27153.5. (a) No motor vehicle first sold or registered as a new
    motor vehicle on or after January 1, 1971, shall discharge into the
    atmosphere at elevation of less than 4,000 feet any air contaminant
    for a period of more than 10 seconds which is:
    (1) As dark or darker in shade as that designated as No. 1 on the
    Ringelmann Chart, as published by the United States Bureau of Mines,
    or
    (2) Of such opacity as to obscure an observer's view to a degree
    equal to or greater than does smoke described in paragraph (1) of
    this subdivision.
    (b) No motor vehicle first sold or registered prior to January 1,
    1971, shall discharge into the atmosphere at elevation of less than
    4,000 feet any air contaminant for a period of more than 10 seconds
    which is:
    (1) As dark or darker in shade than that designated as No. 2 on
    the Ringelmann Chart, as published by the United States Bureau of
    Mines, or
    (2) Of such opacity as to obscure an observer's view to a degree
    equal to or greater than does smoke described in paragraph (1) of
    this subdivision.
    (c) The provisions of this section apply to motor vehicles of the
    United States or its agencies, to the extent authorized by federal
    law.

Leave a comment:

• 99 Fenix
    replied
    i still say an electric cutout...keep the stock exhaust, but be able to open it up at the track, it does add some power to the car..cut out FTW

Leave a comment:

• nitromt
    replied
    Originally posted by rosincore
    Does anyone know the legal tint limit in Pennsylvania.?
    And also, how loud can your exhaust be without being cited for it.?

Thanks. matt
    Why would anyone want a exhaust that is significantly louder thans stock?
    1. It probably doesn't improve performance that much.
    2. Attracts a hell of a lot of unwanted attention from the police.

The best thing to do if you want more performance but don't want to attract attention is to install headers and test pipes (yes illegal).

The exhaust note may be slightly louder than stock and may not pass emissions, but at least it won't sound obnoxious.

Leave a comment:

• 99 Fenix
    replied
    I went [email protected] 114.42 with a crappy 2.0 60' on streets i know this rear end sucks on my car..the 10 bolts are worthless..i have no idea why gm puts their weekends rear end in the fbods with that much hp stock. im looking to get a new moser 9'' rear...and i also know about missing the 3rd gear, ive done it before, it SUCKs...and the ricer, wanted to drag...he coulda had a wing coming out his butt, 180hp isnt a challenge but yes, some 10bolts are worthless, but i buddy of mine went high 11s on his stock rear with 373 gears and a m6..so, its not all bad..im just sayn.

Leave a comment:

• jdh
    replied

Go watch an SCCA World Challenge touring car race. Most all the cars are front wheel drive and have wings. Yes you do need rear down force on a front wheel drive car.

The weak spot on a T56 is the 3rd gear shift fork. They bend real easy. The rear end is weaker than the transmission. And at 400 hp if you put any kind of sticky rubber on you should think about a drive shaft loop. The stock Alum will twist in two.

Now let me take a guess on street tires, low 13s at about 112?
    Last edited by jdh; 04-08-2007, 12:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• 99 Fenix
    replied
    hey man, my personal favorite...i asked a ricer "whats that big @$$ wing for on the back of your car?" he replied "its for downforce..so i stick to the road better" so i proceeded to ask "isnt your car a front wheel drive? wouldnt that just slow you down? he got p.o.d and took off" but i have 400hp on my stock t56 tranny on my trans-am...they can take some abuse. but i drag my car(track)..and yesir..i been paying for all of my stuff sense i was 16..got the car when i was 18 though. i still have money to waste stuff on tho...im just sayn, you can enjoy your car without being annoying..unless your a ricer..then every 1 just hates you

Leave a comment:

• ask80
    replied
    hey sgtchp, can I cite under that PC for choppers and harleys? i mean some of those bikes are so damn loud...

and i do agree that putting loud exhausts are damn annoying...and are useless on the streets... i think people that do all the import stuff, like change their headlights, lower, body kit, spoiler, etc is all a waste of money. yes i do understand if it's a hobby and they enter in competition but i see too many on the streets thinking they are some professional racer. But in reality their only street racing training they've had is playing need for speed on their PS2. they don't get no EVOC training, like cops.

and i still don't understand the point of upgrading from 500hp to 600 hp on a stock M6? so you can be cool? if your daddy bought you the m6, then how come you didn't just ask for a ferrari or a saleen s7? i'm assuming money is no object for you..
    Last edited by ask80; 04-07-2007, 10:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 99 Fenix
    replied
    yea, m6 already has a 500hp car...it will make it breath better and maybe even help up with gas mileage...but other than that...KandN buddy...helps out with gas mileage

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3104 users online. 160 members and 2944 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X