Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift suggestions for Academy Graduation

Okay everyone,

My son will be getting sworn in, in less than 3 weeks and will be graduating from his academy about 10 days later. I am looking for suggestions for useful equipment that can be given as a graduation gift. A few ideas I've had.....

1. Wristwatch....Is it better to get an inexpensive (Casio?) watch and just replace it when it gets damaged or is it better to spend little more $ and get one that will stand a little punishment? If so, which would you recommend?

2. Binoculars....Something to keep in the duty bag (Which I've already purchased). How powerful? What manufacturer etc...

Price is not really the most important factor here. I want to give him something (or several things) that will actually be useful to him. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks

How about a nice set of engraved Cross pens for his uniform or for the dress uniform. You can have them engraved with his name and start date or PD name or something like that.

You can also try (this would probably be more useful for those of us that don't ride double in the cars) the seat organizer from Galls or something...I'd suggest the hard one, not the cloth ones.

OR...LOL...I'm full of suggestions...a nice knife that he can carry in uniform (if his new department will allow same).

I wouldn't go with a nice watch unless he's only going to wear it when he's not working...IE-I work in the projects...no way I'm risking my nice watch when chances are I'll be in at least ONE fight that night.
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Or possibly a Stinger flashlight by Streamlight (or some such type)...it's smaller and can be real handy in a pinch. does he have the necessary field equipment? Metal notebooks to hold citations? Second set to handcuffs if his department will only issue one (such as MY department...LOL)
      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Well I would suggest some nice sunglasses but I doubt that he'll be seeing the sun on-duty for quite a while (graveyards WOO HOO!! ).

Now depending on the $$ you want to spend you might look into getting him a back up gun. Sometimes when things go bad they go REALLY bad and it could save his life. Try to find out what BUGs are authorized by his department and look into it.

I recieved an extra name plate for my uniform and it was an excellent gift. If his issued one gets lost or broken it can take a while to get a new one because of the engraving and what not. It can be good to have a spare on stand-by.

Knifes are always good, just look for one that's not too thick so it's not overly bulky in his pocket. Gerber has some good options. Or maybe a Leatherman/Gerber multitool that he can keep on his duty belt.
        Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by copdad
          Price is not really the most important factor here. I want to give him something (or several things) that will actually be useful to him. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks
          Firstly, congratulations on the anticipated arrival of your brand new, bouncing baby LEO

Since you want to get him something, or things he'll use, why not let him decide. Gift certificates are nice...just as good as cash, but a bit more from the heart
          "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

A flat badge (off duty) and an I.D. case. In order to get the badge you must have a signed letter from a station commander - generally the new LEOs - and contact a uniform store in your area. They can have it made up for you. Cost is nominal - somewhere between $75 and $100. Talk to a rep at the uniform store or at the academy to see if they can provide more info.

http://www.sunbadgeco.com/
            http://www.blackinton.com/home/default.aspx

Also, you may wish to consider an academy ring.

http://www.joyjewelers.com/modules/e...FQJ_YAoduGNjwQ

Lastly, a St. Michael medallion to be worn. St. Michael is the patron Saint of Law Enforcement.

http://www.joyjewelers.com/modules/c...FRTCYAodzQ1Zxg
            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

It all depends on your gift budget. May I suggest you get him something he can carry over his entire career? You might want to think about something he can carry or use over his career, so that when he retires his kids might have something to cherish. Doubly so if he can pass it on to any kids who follow in his footsteps, and if there are multiple kids in LE they can each receive it on their graduation day.

When I first started many years ago, my dad and mom gave me two things on the day I was pinned. The first thing he gave me was a .38 calibre snubby he had bought when he moved to Detroit. He had it engraved with, "Blessed are the peacemakers." I still have it, in decent shape with wear and tear. If one of my kids join I will pass it on to them. If more than one joins (heaven forbid!) I will give them each one exactly like it. The other item my mom gave me was a sterling silver "coin." On the coin was engraved, "Walk with the Lord." On the other side was, "Walk with pride." I carried it every day for 17 years, now it's in a case with my badge, name bar, shoulder patch, and stripes sitting on my desk.
              Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

"Defense aint for no nice people." Neamiah Warrick, first year starting Saftey, Michigan State University 2006

Comment

I love the cross pens idea, unless he's gonna work a ghetto area.

A nice Smith&Wesson 2" revolver back up gun if your budget permits.

I like the stinger/surefire idea too!!

Lots of great ideas!

EDJ
                "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Get your son the gift that keeps on giving by possibly keeping him alive. Buy him all Three Caliber Press "Street Survival" series books in hardback. They sell them in most Police Supply Stores. The first two are mostly tips on how to go home safe. The third one is mostly Job helpers dealing with Criminal Patrol and Drug Interdiction. I still glance at mine from time to time going on Thirteen Years. My father bought me the first two books "Street Survival" and "The Tactical Edge" and I bought the third "Tactics for Criminal Patrol". My father was important to me and he died suddenly four years ago but though he is gone I still have those books and glance at them from time to time. The are the "Gospel of Law Enforcement"
                  "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

I'd second that too!

Hopefully your graduate is a bit of a reader.

EDJ
                    "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

All very good suggestions.

I carry the surefire and it is by far the best flashlight I've used yet.

If his department is relatively relaxed in terms of footwear, that is always a good choice for some comfy boots. I am wearing these ones and so far they've been a very good choice ( http://oakley.com/pd/3552 ), but a gift cert will be helpful to him in getting the ones he likes best.

Congrats to him joining the LE family!

Comment

A gift certificate for the local equipment store.
                        The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

My suggestions:
                          1. A new flashlight, but get his name and agency engraved on it. No "Officer" in front - he might get promoted someday.
                          2. A folding "clip" knife (the equipment store will know what it is), again, with engraving.
                          3. A good "war bag" with his name, and maybe his department name, embroidered on it.
                          Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Like Many others have said:

1. Folding Duty knife/utility tool.
                            2. Flashlight
                            3. Duty watch (nothing to expensive)
                            4. Gift card to all night coffee joint =)
                            5. Gear Bag
                            6. If need be: Metal clipboard, pens, etc..
                            7. If his Dpt doesnt issue leathers, maybe a pair of duty boots.
                            8. BUG of choice (my father did this for me).
                            9. Extra name plate.
                            10. Pair of duty gloves. (Nomex,leather,neoprene based on Dpt Guidelines)

Comment

Lots of very good suggestions. Thanks. I believe I'll be going with a mix of the things suggested here. Again, My thanks!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5373 users online. 310 members and 5063 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X