300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy Problems

I have been in a Police Academy (Southern California) for about 3 months now. I am putting myself through as Pre-Service and work a full time job for a City. Recently, in our platoon, I have been unfairly accused of being to talkative in formation and in the classroom. Last night, during training, I found out who the cadet was that has been telling others I am a F_ _ _ UP. While on a head and water call, the cadet in question was arguing with another cadet. I told him to Lock it up and stop trying to TAC on other cadets. There was an argument between both of us and the class commander told us to save it for the parking lot. After training I was real upset and felt like I shouldnt of got involved in the matter and should of just let kept my mouth shut. There are allot of Brown Nosers in our platoon that wont thing twice aout diming you out to the TAC Officers. Maybe this happens allot at Academies, Does everyone always get along? Any input would be great.

No, everyone doesn't always get along so here's my advice to you. Keep your chin up...as always, the one running his/her mouth WILL be found out later and it will matter more that you kept your cool and didn't stoop to their level. I know it's hard...hell, I was the only female in my class and many didn't want me there. You also won't get along with everyone at your PD which is why I said to keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open...it will work out in the end. Don't dignify his crap with a reply...it makes you the better person.
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Interceptor77
      Does everyone always get along? Any input would be great.
      No, not always. Anytime you get a group of people together for any amount of time, personalities will clash. However, I don't recall this kind of juvenile behavior when I went trough

In the future, it may be best to do your job well, and just keep your mouth shut. If your DI's are sharp, your resident "brown nosers" haven't gone unnoticed.
      "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

I agree with the others in keeping your mouth shut. Worry about yourself and make sure you get through the academy the best you can...and when I say worry about yourself, I do not mean excluding teamwork but don't get involved in the 6th grade games.

I do not know if it was just the particular class that I went through but we had no problems or childish games like this. Those that were problematic were weeded out in the first week or two. After the bad ones were gone, we all came together as a group and considered ourselves a team...and everyone there was a team player. Instead of squabbles, we went out of our way to help each other out...Those that were poor in academics were assisted by those who did better...those that were poor in PT were pushed by those at the top.

Comment

As a former Academy instructor I can tell you with certainty that your instructors know what is going on with your class. They discuss each of you frequently - your good and bad points, they compare notes, point out issues to watch for and generally rate each of you daily.

I would suggest you maintain proper comportment and participate as a team player. Stay away from personality issues during training. Ignore silly comments and attempt to refrain from adding your two cents unless it is important to the instructions being given and the entire class will benefit.

Your personal conduct in that academy will follow you to any agency you apply to during your BI.

Good luck in your endeavor!
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Thank You for all the advice you have given. I have 6 months left and will keep my head up.

Comment

At the end of our academy we had to turn in evals on each of our fellow recruits. The ones that caused problems tended to get hammered on the evals and it would help confirm what the TAC officers already knew.

Comment

I dont really understand those evals, If someone doesnt like you for what ever reason they can hammer you. I would think the Tac Officers evaluation would be a better method for BI.

Comment

Academy Problems

Keep your eyes and ears open, and your mouth shut. That advice is as timely now as it was fifty years ago. As noted in a previous post, the Academy Staff knows within a week or two, who the brown nosers are. They also have a pretty good idea who's going to make it through the Academy, and who isn't. By all means, be a team player. That's and asset you'll need for your entire career. Pay attention in class, keep your grades up. Those are full time jobs. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you PhillipCal,

I am in the 98% range as far as grades and I am trying hard to improve my PT. I just think since im in the Extended Format, which is 10 months loooongg, I probably just got a little frustrated.

Comment

Everyone here has given sound advice. The academy is designed to be stressful and with a large group (or a small one) peoples nerves will be on edge because of everything that is happening. It happened in my class and will happen in 99% of classes.

The best advice I have has already been said. Keep your mouth shut and do exactly what you are told to do.

How long is your academy anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by Interceptor77
                        I dont really understand those evals, If someone doesnt like you for what ever reason they can hammer you. I would think the Tac Officers evaluation would be a better method for BI.
                        They do serve a purpose. You are in a class of many peers. If you receive one or two bad evals but the rest are good then your tac officers are going to know it is someone out to hammer you or a personality conflict. If all or a good portion of your evals dont speak kindly about you it says something about you no matter how much you think its just people trying to hammer you. When you get to a department you are going to have to deal with the same type of people as in your academy...only this time everyone else has experience and you are the boot. How you get along in the academy or deal with adversity in the academy will tell a lot about you and how you will interact with your department. The peer evals are just a small portion of the academy.....your performance and Tac officer evals are more important, but as I said the peer evals serve a purpose.

Comment

Be yourself but don't let your guard down.

Our class was pretty competitive with a lot of outgoing, Type A personalities who often clashed.

But we made it through in one piece.

Keep your chin up, and always take the high road.

If someone is actively targetting you and deliberately lying about you that I would not put up with and would very quietly and privately talk to the Academy instructor.

Comment

I would just keep my mouth shut. Who cares what others do/say. The instructors know who the screwups are. If that happened during the academy I went to, we all were required to jog around the complex with a telephone pole on our sholders. After one "Fun Run", those kinds of bs problems stopped.
                            John 3:16

Comment

The Academy is 10 months long,

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5291 users online. 293 members and 4998 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X