Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spike strip

Hello everyone!

A small question here: does your department use spike strips to stop fleeing vehicles? I've only seen them in videogames (which obviously don't even pretend to be trying to be accurate) and in some rare chase video, like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymWGQtu2xag (01:27)

Considering the perp just shot 5 people and was armed, I was really scared seeing the officer running so close to his vehicle to throw spikes... Or is it a generally accepted procedure?

Where I am, police either blocks the road with big rigs (if there are any) or takes shots at the tires, but no spike strips, so I don't really have other examples of its usage.

Thanks!

Laying spike strips is dangerous.................one must be very careful but they are safer than trying to shoot tires.

Many if not most agencies in my area use them with few problems.......................There are some agencies that won't or don't use them.

Blocking of roads is just not done in the US...............ESPECIALLY using private "big rigs"..................NOBODY would want that liability.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

Blocking of roads is just not done in the US...............ESPECIALLY using private "big rigs"..................NOBODY would want that liability.
      Totally understandable, the only reason it's in use here is that most of police policies were drafted in the age when no private property existed as such...

Appreciate the reply!

Comment

Not to stop criminals, but other countries like India use a type of spike strip to prevent wrong-way drivers. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p53ziavFsro . So, even if your car is equipped with the best tires like michelin and bridgestone tires, you will be in trouble if you drive in the wrong direction.

In Arizona, ADOT doesn't consider this method because of some good reasons-- https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...ers-in-arizona

Comment

We don't use them here but we're also a smaller department.

Comment

We use them, but it can be dangerous. A few years back, a fellow officer was struck by a fleeing vehicle as he attempted to use spike strips. He lived, but it ended his career.

No police agency in the US would ever authorize shooting out tires. That sort of cowboy stuff ended years ago.

As for big rigs, my state's laws prevent us from creating true roadblocks -- the vehicle has to be allowed a way out. That being said, I've heard of state troopers (my state's highway police) getting on their CB radios to truck drivers ahead of a pursuit and asking them to slow down, effectively creating a 'rolling roadblock'.

Comment

We do not use them. Too many rural areas with a lot of intersecting roads make establishing a point to use them difficult.
              Beside, we are still allowed to PIT (when authorized by supervisor).

I did once actually toss a landscape timber at the front wheel of a fleeing motorcycle from the side of the road as it whized by me. That was neat.
              SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
              SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

I did once actually toss a landscape timber at the front wheel of a fleeing motorcycle from the side of the road as it whized by me. That was neat.
                By policy, I can't even use a spike strip on a motorcycle. I can't even imagine the levels of **** I'd be in if I threw a chunk of lumber in front of one.

Comment

Originally posted by orangebottle View Post
                  No police agency in the US would ever authorize shooting out tires. That sort of cowboy stuff ended years ago.
                  Oh, it's still done a few places.
                  I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by orangebottle View Post

By policy, I can't even use a spike strip on a motorcycle. I can't even imagine the levels of **** I'd be in if I threw a chunk of lumber in front of one.
                    Me too, probably, but I missed. The driver ended wrecking out a few minutes later.
                    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                    SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8329 users online. 334 members and 7995 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X