300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Opinions?

Hi. I just had a question about my background and getting a job as an leo. I had a couple of harrasment charges and 1 criminal michief when i was 14. i have since had those expunged. I also used to shoplift when i was 13-14. I know this was stupid and have not done it since. i also never got caught. Other then that the most that ive had since i turned 18 is a speeding ticket. im planning on getting a degree in police science. my credit is not so hot but am planning on having it in order before im even ready to apply. do you think that i have a chance with a dept? btw, i am 19. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

How much did you shoplift when you were 13 and 14?
    Marine Infantry - Taking out the trash one country at a time.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

"Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

Comment

a couple hundred bucks

Comment

ever since i started working, i have always paid for anything that i wanted. i busted my butt pretty much while i was in school to have the things that i wanted.

Comment

So should i go for it? obviously, if i went to a dept that did not have a polygraph, i would be fine. but im not a liar, and if get a job as a police officer, i dont want to do it by lying.

Comment

I have made it through a polygraph with a history of shoplifting in a similar amount a few hundred dollars, and it was alot more recently than yours (think 3 to 4 years ago). I was upfront about it, didn't try to hide anything, and it never came up again with my BI or anyone. It probably depends on the department, but just don't lie about it and let them decide how to proceed. Everyone does dumb stuff as a kid, and as long as you show that you have changed then most departments will respect that.

Comment

What are my chances of getting hired? are there any police officers in here with a background like this, or anyone who thinks i can actually get a job?

Comment

I have seen worse get hired
                Marine Infantry - Taking out the trash one country at a time.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth- and the amusing thing about it is that they are."

"Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

Comment

The biggest thing is to be honest. Nothing you mentioned sounds like auto-disqualifiers. It sounds like enough time has passed to show that's the old you and you're different now.

A small suggestion: if you specifically remember something you stole and where, go back and pay for it. Although something like that isn't neccesary, it would look really good to your background investigator when you confess your sins to show you did everything in your power to fix them once you grew up.

The only thing I ever stole was a ruler as a kid, and I went back 15 years later and bought the lady a new one. I felt like an idiot doing it (and she thought it was funny), but it raised some appreciative eyebrows on my oral board when I told them that.

Comment

Originally posted by sbruce87
                    So should i go for it? obviously, if i went to a dept that did not have a polygraph, i would be fine. but im not a liar, and if get a job as a police officer, i dont want to do it by lying.
                    Wrong. Even if the records were expundged it doesn't mean they won't find out about it during your BI. But yes, honesty is the best way to go about it. Keep in mind the waivers that you sign when you apply can follow you. What is disclosed at one must be disclosed to all, otherwise inconsistencies in your background may pop up. Once you're tagged as a liar with one department, it's a very difficult battle to convince anyone otherwise. Not suggesting that is the case but just in the event you bounced between a poly and non-poly department to avoid the disclosure of charges....it's been known to happen.

Frankly what you did at 13-14 (within reason) is not going to limit your ability to do the job or suitability for the position since you are now an adult. I would say go through with the process and work on building up your credit. If anything that is what is going to be the biggest issue they are going to have right now. At 19 you're still pretty young but it's a good time to get into this profession with all of the vacancies and with your course you'll be a few years older.

I also agree you're a far cry from the worst of what I've seen get hired. I was told by one of our new guys there was a person on his course that couldn't even do 5 sit ups. That means I'll probably be the lucky one to get him soon enough.

Comment

No you are too young and the time between when you were a theif and now hasnt been long enough..Wait til you are 25 with no problems and you are more mature than reapply
                      "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

I would suggest getting your degree, and fixing your credit. At 19 you shouldn't have that bad of credit. That will be a deciding factor with most agencies.

As far as being a thief at 13-14 years of age. You need to be upfront about all the things illegal that you've done. If you try to hide or down play something you will regret it.

If you finish school, fix your credit, and be honest about your past you could probably land an L.E.O. job when your 21. I would at least try when your 21 then continue to try if you don't make it.

As far as taking a polygraph test. They use those to see if your honest. Not how bad you were, but how honest you are. On my department if you lie your gone. That's it no if, ands, or buts about it.

I know several officers that have worse history than you and they got on after applying several times. I've seen even worse than them get on their first time applying.

Good luck
                        The views I share are my own, and do not represent the opinions of my employing agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6730 users online. 349 members and 6381 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X