Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• received all copies of citation....hhhmmmm

greetings all,

i was sitting in a line of traffic on a city street near a busy pedestrian area where the peds consistently cross the street against the signal. as a resident of this area, it can become quite frustrating to go thru 2-3 light cycles as the walkers ignore the signal and simply walk out in front of (what should be) moving traffic.

out of frustration, i sounded my horn - not a long blast - but more than just a toot. a city officer who was standing on the sidewalk yelled to me to pull over - to which i complied (there is a large median, so i pulled there)

the officer informed me that i couldn't honk my horn in that manner - and that the horn is an emergency signal device.

the bottom line is that he wrote me a city citation for illegal use of the horn (or something similar - the citation is not in front of me) but here's the kicker - he presented me with ALL copies of the citation. the original, the pink and the yellow copy...leaving him now copy to turn in, right?

i immediately thought this odd, but thought i'd see how things would play out.

i waited a couple of weeks to check the pay-by-internet system, but the citation never showed.

so - my questions (finally):
    whats up with him giving me all copies? if he wanted to give me a warning, he could have just given me a warning. aren't all the citations accounted for? he can't just go back with a 'missing' citation, right?

what should be my course of action here as far as voicing a complaint?

look - i'm guilty as charged and was prepared to take my lumps, but it doesn't appear that this guy wanted to play inside of the rules.

thanks.

Originally posted by briyoung
    greetings all,

what should be my course of action here as far as voicing a complaint?

look - i'm guilty as charged and was prepared to take my lumps, but it doesn't appear that this guy wanted to play inside of the rules.

thanks.
    What the heck are you talking about???? You say you are guilty as charged then ask what course of action you should take for a complaint!! What complaint do you have and how did this officer not want to "play inside the rules". You received all of the copies....maybe it was a mistake. I see no misconduct from the officer based on your story..... what would think you have the right to make a complaint about this officer?

Be an adult....call the police department and let them know you received all of the copies and want to plead guilty because...in your words...you are guilty as charged.

Comment

- he presented me with ALL copies of the citation. the original, the pink and the yellow copy...leaving him now copy to turn in, right?
      Wrong! You forgot about mr. "greenie." It's completely possible, the officer gave you his copies, and kept yours. Nothing nefarious, sinister, or outside the rules here...just a mistake
      "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

There isn't anything in your statement that indicates this officer wasn't ,in your words, "playing inside the rules". It sounds at best that he made an honest "mistake" by maybe giving you all the copies. This sounds like a typical situation where someone is obviously guilty of an infraction, by your own admittance, and is trying to put it back on the police officer, who was doing his job, and get him jammed up so you can walk. YOU SHOULD CALL AND LET THEM KNOW WHAT COPIES YOU HAVE AND NOT TRY TO BACK DOOR THE COP.
        "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

i guess i didn't explain the situation clearly enough. i AM guilty as the officer charged - i sounded my horn improperly....and it's VERY possible that as Compton pointed out - he kept my copy and gave me his, but i don't think thats the case.

i got the distinct impression that i got all copies (yes, all of them - i'm sure of that) in an effort to intimidate me rather than actually cite me.

i'm not trying to put anything back on the officer if there isn't anything to put back, irish. if it was a mistake, fine - i guess its my lucky day, but there was a feeling that he was simply trying to flex.

i guess i got lucky.

Comment

"i got the distinct impression that i got all copies (yes, all of them - i'm sure of that) in an effort to intimidate me rather than actually cite me."

How was that intimidating?
            Retired 02/01/13

Comment

Man, you must have reeeeeeeally made him mad. The madder they made me, the more copies they got. Did you call his honor into question at any time?

Thinking about it, I would just apologize and pay it, offering an additional amount to the local police widows and orphans fund, to help the wives and kids of officers killed in the line of duty protecting you and yours at all hours of the day and night, except for when they have to take precious time away from that to deal with folks who need to honk at pedestrians for no good reason.
              The All New
              BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
              Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
              - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

i believe it was an effort to intimidate me by pulling me over (which, in and of itself can be an intimidating act for some) but in the end, simply hassling me since the citation never shows up in the system and nothing ever really comes of it.

1042 - you're joking, right? the officer made the choice to yell at me to pull over. he was standing on the sidewalk having a cup of coffee with 2 other officers - not taking up any precious time 'protecting' anyone.

as for the pedestrians - if he REALLY wanted to serve the public, he should have been writing up jay-walking tickets.

Comment

An effort to intimidate you? Who are you that an officer will go out of his way to stop you just for intimidation? What an ego!

As far as screwing with you by handing you the original with all the copies, bzzzzzzzt! Wrong answer. Now the officer is going to have to fill out paperwork explaining the missing cite. Citations are numbered, and are accounted for. Then on top of that, if he works with any kind of people that the rest of us do, his coworkers will give him grief, and he will most likely be the recipient of radio traffic about giving the original to the driver every time he calls in a car stop.
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer
                    An effort to intimidate you? Who are you that an officer will go out of his way to stop you just for intimidation? What an ego!

As far as screwing with you by handing you the original with all the copies, bzzzzzzzt! Wrong answer. Now the officer is going to have to fill out paperwork explaining the missing cite. Citations are numbered, and are accounted for. Then on top of that, if he works with any kind of people that the rest of us do, his coworkers will give him grief, and he will most likely be the recipient of radio traffic about giving the original to the driver every time he calls in a car stop.

EXACTLY what i was wondering. what happens when one of the citations goes UNaccounted for?

intimidation? from a cop? really? c'mon....of COURSE thats all it was (unless it truly WAS a mistake for him to give me all the copies - that i can understand. everyone makes mistakes.)

pulling someone over and actually writing them up for honking their horn? pul-leeze. while techincally against the law, thats a complete waste of time of an officer, unless its overly egregious...which mine certainly wasn't - and is simply an act of him pulling me over just because he can. there was no public service involved here.

you want to opine about being out there and 'protecting the public'...well, maybe thats what he should have been doing instead.

Comment

but in the end, simply hassling me since the citation never shows up in the system and nothing ever really comes of it.
                      This makes absolutely no sense at all. Why would a LEO bother to cite you, then not turn a copy into the court system? But you keep thinking this way, and see what happens to those who "fail to appear" in court.

as for the pedestrians - if he REALLY wanted to serve the public, he should have been writing up jay-walking tickets.
                      Now the real reason for this post rears it's ugly head..."why didn't the officer cite the "other" law breakers, instead of me!"
                      "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

why would a LEO bother to cite me, then not turn a copy in? to simply mess with me, but not have to waste his time showing up in court. pretty simple. he would do it to be the big man and pull me over knowing that i would have to do what he said to do.

as for the real reason - you just don't get it. i noted earlier that i was fine with getting the citation. i acted outside the law, got called on it and was ready to pay the penalty. i just don't think the cop had any intention of issuing a legit citation and simply wanted to hassle me and waste a bit of my time.

i think its a pretty good bet that had we shown up in court on this one, with my driving record, it would have been dismissed.

i'm still wondering what happens to unaccounted for citations....

Comment

I just told you what happens with unaccounted-for citations. Pull your head out long enough to read the words. The officer will have to explain, in writing, what happened to the cite. (At my agency, the paperwork goes to the Chief Deputy of Operations Bureau, the second-in-command of the department.) He could get anywhere from a verbal reprimand to a suspension for it. It will cause him more grief than it did you.

There is no way he intentionally gave you the original. He did it to avoid going to court? Right. Traffic court is not a burden. Every ticket we write, we expect that it might go to court.

And as regards court, your driving record will not be taken into account by the judge. You aren't getting any dismissals because of a heretofore clean record.

Our job is enforcing the law. If you don't like it, work to get the law changed.
                          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

why would a LEO bother to cite me, then not turn a copy in? to simply mess with me, but not have to waste his time showing up in court. pretty simple. he would do it to be the big man and pull me over knowing that i would have to do what he said to do.

as for the real reason - you just don't get it. i noted earlier that i was fine with getting the citation. i acted outside the law, got called on it and was ready to pay the penalty. i just don't think the cop had any intention of issuing a legit citation and simply wanted to hassle me and waste a bit of my time.

i think its a pretty good bet that had we shown up in court on this one, with my driving record, it would have been dismissed.

i'm still wondering what happens to unaccounted for citations....
                            Why not call the Agency in which you got the Citation from? I am sure they could answer your questions for you. As far as the Officer giving you all Copies, his mistake. I did it a few times when not paying full-attention or getting an emergency call during a stop.

You admitted to breaking the law, so why not drop all of the other comments about intimidation, etc? All you are going to do is make others made in here or get yourself banned.

My suggestion, call or go the Agency in which you got the citation and pay it. You admitted to being at fault, so be a man and pay it.
                            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer
                              I just told you what happens with unaccounted-for citations. Pull your head out long enough to read the words. The officer will have to explain, in writing, what happened to the cite. (At my agency, the paperwork goes to the Chief Deputy of Operations Bureau, the second-in-command of the department.) He could get anywhere from a verbal reprimand to a suspension for it. It will cause him more grief than it did you.

There is no way he intentionally gave you the original. He did it to avoid going to court? Right. Traffic court is not a burden. Every ticket we write, we expect that it might go to court.

And as regards court, your driving record will not be taken into account by the judge. You aren't getting any dismissals because of a heretofore clean record.

Our job is enforcing the law. If you don't like it, work to get the law changed.
                              hey - ok....and no, you didn't explain this earlier. you simply said they would have to do 'paperwork' and then get crap from his colleagues....thanks for the specifics and i appreciate the response, but not the 'pull your head out' comment. read your original response and you'll see it was lacking on specifics.

as for my driving record not being taken into account by a judge....are you serious? go to traffic court where i live and in nearly every case, either the state or the judge (or both) will make reference to the defendants driving record when considering a plea or penalty.

ok, ok...so the guy made a mistake....sheesh. sorry i brought it up.
                              Last edited by briyoung; 04-03-2007, 02:00 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6276 users online. 370 members and 5906 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X