Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Examples of answers for interview questions.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Examples of answers for interview questions.

I’m just curious of what you answered for the questions they asked. I’m having a hard time trying to come up with a answer to some questions. Examples of your answers may help me better my answers.

The first question is what’s your strengths and weaknesses?

Second, why should we hire you? How would we benefit from you here at the department?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Originally posted by Turbo16turbo View Post
    I’m just curious of what you answered for the questions they asked. I’m having a hard time trying to come up with a answer to some questions. Examples of your answers may help me better my answers.

Second, why should we hire you? How would we benefit from you here at the department?

My strengths and weaknesses probably aren't the same as yours, so I don't see how my answers would be helpful to you.

You need to do some serious self-assessment and soul-searching. Also research the specific department that you are applying to and figure out what makes you a good fit.

Good luck!

Edited to add: I just looked at some of your previous posts...and you actually have a lot to work with. Think about what makes your background different from most applicants your age...and turn that into a positive. You had your first child at 18, correct? You have two kids now, at 23. That means you've had to carry a lot of responsibility a lot earlier than most people. Being a young parent means having to provide for your children, keeping them safe, juggling lots of responsibilities at the same time, keeping your cool in stressful situations, etc.

You also wrote that you don't have any college. You can use that as your "weakness". Acknowledge that you only have a high school diploma...BUT you make up for it in life experience. Don't sell yourself short.
    Last edited by not.in.MY.town; 01-26-2018, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo16turbo View Post

They do not want my answers. They do not want another experienced officers answers. What they want is your answers.

it also might be of note that the agency doesn't want a practice test answer instead they want to hear your thoughts as they come into your mind after the question being asked.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
        the agency doesn't want a practice test answer instead they want to hear your thoughts as they come into your mind after the question being asked.
        That works for some applicants. Not so much for others.

Last round we had one applicant who started rambling incoherently about his strengths and weaknesses...and eventually stopped mid-sentence and asked "what was the question again?"

Another guy was asked about his weaknesses. He thought about it for a moment and then answered "bacon". Sadly, he didn't get the job..but he did get points for making us laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

That works for some applicants. Not so much for others.

Last round we had one applicant who started rambling incoherently about his strengths and weaknesses...and eventually stopped mid-sentence and asked "what was the question again?"

Another guy was asked about his weaknesses. He thought about it for a moment and then answered "bacon". Sadly, he didn't get the job..but he did get points for making us laugh.
          If I was on the interview panel.........................it would have worked for me. & told me everything I wanted to know about the applicants

Mission accomplished
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

Another guy was asked about his weaknesses. He thought about it for a moment and then answered "bacon".

Last edited by DeaconSteve; 01-26-2018, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
              not.in.MY.town commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup. I thought "This is a guy who has his priorities straight."

To the OP -

If you are ever faced with an oral board question you don't know how to answer, a tried and true trick is to deflect the question.

Look for a nearby piece of loose paper (preferably one sitting on the table the oral panel members are seated at). Reach over, pick up the paper, hold it up, study it intensely for about five seconds and announce to everyone in the room, "This has zinc in it." Then tear a piece of that paper off, put it in your mouth, chew it and swallow, while returning what's left of the paper to the table.

Your insight into the content of that piece of paper will make an indelible impression on the oral panel and they will no longer be concerned that you never answered their original question. It works every time.

Additionally, many years ago an oral panel asked an applicant why he would make a good police officer. He gave a stellar answer I never forgot -

"Because I'm a good boy, My mommy said so."

You might remember that answer if you are ever asked the question on an oral.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
              To the OP -

If you are ever faced with an oral board question you don't know how to answer, a tried and true trick is to deflect the question.

Look for a nearby piece of loose paper (preferably one sitting on the table the oral panel members are seated at). Reach over, pick up the paper, hold it up, study it intensely for about five seconds and announce to everyone in the room, "This has zinc in it." Then tear a piece of that paper off, put it in your mouth, chew it and swallow, while returning what's left of the paper to the table.

Your insight into the content of that piece of paper will make an indelible impression on the oral panel and they will no longer be concerned that you never answered their original question. It works every time.
              When you invoke the Zinc Paper Gambit, all members of the oral board are required to raise their drinks and say "Dilly Dilly"

You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

Why not just go in to the interview and answer the questions? How do you think every previous generation of LEOs got through the interview? FFS, half of the traffic on this forum is people wanting the answer to everything.

Here's how to prepare for the hiring process:
                -Get educated so that you can communicate clearly, succintly, and precisely.
                -Work full-time for a few years.
                -Stay in shape.
                -Get out in the world, meet new people, talk to strangers, live life.
                -Stop worrying so much and just get on with it.

Here endeth the lesson.
                Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by Curt5811 View Post

When you invoke the Zinc Paper Gambit, all members of the oral board are required to raise their drinks and say "Dilly Dilly"

Of course, he could launch into a discussion about the merits of cat urine as a polishing agent for brass, handcuffs, badges and helmets. Oral boards really respect applicants who have done their research and know the secrets of keeping uniform equipment bright and shiny.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                    Why not just go in to the interview and answer the questions? How do you think every previous generation of LEOs got through the interview? FFS, half of the traffic on this forum is people wanting the answer to everything.

Here's how to prepare for the hiring process:
                    -Get educated so that you can communicate clearly, succintly, and precisely.
                    -Work full-time for a few years.
                    -Stay in shape.
                    -Get out in the world, meet new people, talk to strangers, live life.
                    -Stop worrying so much and just get on with it.

Here endeth the lesson.
                    Buddy, That's not the way things are done anymore
                    Here is how it is done now

-Really, Really , REALLY want the job after 10 minutes of dreaming to be a cop (after watching 2 seasons of COPS)
                    -Ask Mommy and Daddy if it is okay if you become a cop
                    -Listen to Mommy tell you that you can be anything you want to be if you want it bad enough & because your are special
                    -Go on the internet and ask how you can "get to the top" of the list & how you can "stand out"
                    -Ask on the internet what the questions & what the best answers are so you can ace the oral interview
                    -Cry to everyone when you find out there is a polygraph exam that you can't study for or cheat on
                    -When you are told that you probably won't cut the mustard on the hiring list......tell the forum
                    ----------You don't know the things that happened when I was growing up
                    ----------You don't know me
                    -----------Who are you to judge people
                    -----------You people are rude
                    -Make a new profile and ask the same questions & get the same answers
                    -Begin the cycle again

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

Buddy, That's not the way things are done anymore
                      Here is how it is done now

-Really, Really , REALLY want the job after 10 minutes of dreaming to be a cop (after watching 2 seasons of COPS)
                      -Ask Mommy and Daddy if it is okay if you become a cop
                      -Listen to Mommy tell you that you can be anything you want to be if you want it bad enough & because your are special
                      -Go on the internet and ask how you can "get to the top" of the list & how you can "stand out"
                      -Ask on the internet what the questions & what the best answers are so you can ace the oral interview
                      -Cry to everyone when you find out there is a polygraph exam that you can't study for or cheat on
                      -When you are told that you probably won't cut the mustard on the hiring list......tell the forum
                      ----------You don't know the things that happened when I was growing up
                      ----------You don't know me
                      -----------Who are you to judge people
                      -----------You people are rude
                      -Make a new profile and ask the same questions & get the same answers
                      -Begin the cycle again
                      It’s a shame because you are right on the money.

This planet is one giant idiot factory.

Comment

Inserting humor into a situation where you don't have a good answer will only get someone so far.
                        A buddy in a neighboring department sitting on an oral board had asked an applicant : "Why do you want to be a police officer?"
                        The guy responded "To drive fast and shoot guns".
                        Funny! Different! - but he did not get hired.

The tired old "to help people", "to make a difference", "blah blah blah" will suffice.
                        SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                        SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Originally posted by swat_op506 View Post
                          Inserting humor into a situation where you don't have a good answer will only get someone so far.
                          A buddy in a neighboring department sitting on an oral board had asked an applicant : "Why do you want to be a police officer?"
                          The guy responded "To drive fast and shoot guns".
                          Funny! Different! - but he did not get hired.

The tired old "to help people", "to make a difference", "blah blah blah" will suffice.
                          We had an applicant who worked as a customer service manager at Walmart. When asked why he wanted to be a police officer he responded, "Because I'm tired of dealing with drunks at Walmart. I'd rather deal with drunks on the street."

He got some laughs...AND the job. Granted, he did follow up with a well-thought out answer, and he was a very strong candidate overall.

Comment

True story, " I want to get my retirement time in..."
                            It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
                            Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10273 users online. 506 members and 9767 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X