300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teenage Car Insurance

After reading Slowing-Dee's thread, I have a question about a legal issue with car insurance. Would it be illegal for me, a teenager, when I purchase my first car, to have to car put in a parent's name? This may seem like a stupid question but I'm really not sure. It does seem like fraud to me, to avoid the high costs to insure a young driver. But then again, I have actually had a police officer tell me one time that he would reccomend it. So, thoughts on the legal aspects of it?

It's not illegal, teens do it all the time to get around the higher cost of insurance for them.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

Very common. In fact, if you're under age 18, you can't have a vehicle registered in your name. However, it probably won't have a major effect on the subsequent insurance rates...your parents will still have to tell the insurance company that you'll be a primary driver of the vehicle, which will jack the rates up.
      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh
        Very common. In fact, if you're under age 18, you can't have a vehicle registered in your name. However, it probably won't have a major effect on the subsequent insurance rates...your parents will still have to tell the insurance company that you'll be a primary driver of the vehicle, which will jack the rates up.

What he said
        -Stay safe

Comment

Teenage Car Insurance

Adding yourself to your parent's insurance is not illegal. In fact, it may be the only way you can get it. The fact that you're a single male under 25 will probably have the effect of raising your parent's rates. If you have a chargeable accident, or start recieving traffic citations, the rates will increase dramatically. Insurance companies employ actuaries, who's job it is to have a "crystal ball" By that I mean, single males under the age of 25 are statisically more inclined as a group to recieve an inordinate amount of citations, or be involved in chargeable accidents.

Comment

It's better to have it under your parents name! I had my car (im 17) under my own name for like 6 months, but now I've got to take 'er off the road because $302/mo. (with a clean record) is too much after a while.
            --"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
            --"Run XC"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4662 users online. 272 members and 4390 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X