300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My background and becoming a cop

My dream right now is to work in law enforcement and to get on with the Denver Police Department . However, I have some things on my background that I am worried about. My freshmen year of college I got an MIP, this was in 2012. My friend was prescribed adderall, and let me have one and used it to study, didn't help and never used it again, this was also in 2012. I smoked weed about 4 times in my life and haven't used it since 2012. Since then I have nothing on my background and have not used any drugs whatsoever. I am currently in my last year of graduate school and hope to get on after I'm done.

What is an MIP?
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• silvas006
      silvas006 commented
      Editing a comment
      Minor in possession of alcohol, when I was 18.

MP - Weed possession ?????

"About 4X" sounds weird. It's either 4 times, less than 4 times, 4-5 times, 4-10 times, etc....
    As someone who does some of the BI work for my department, an answer such as "about four times" is gonna have me questioning your candor.

Anyway, if no arrest, and assuming MP is what I guessed it is, I'd say in most departments you will be a decent candidate, as long as you are 100% honest during the BI process.
    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
    SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

• silvas006
      silvas006 commented
      Editing a comment
      It was 4 times, because I tried it twice in HS and twice in college. However, I am more worried about the adderall use because it is categorized as a hard drug, I did it once. Never went back to it because red bull helped me more than that did.

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    What is an MIP?
    Usually means "minor in possession" (of alcohol).

Many (if not most) college kids have done it. A few unlucky ones actually get caught and charged with it. Not a deal breaker, in my opinion.
    Last edited by not.in.MY.town; 01-12-2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
      not.in.MY.town commented
      Editing a comment
      silvas006 I assume you WERE guilty of the offense though, correct? I would caution you not to minimize the issue when speaking to the BI or panel. Own up to what you did, don't make excuses ("wrong place at the wrong time"), and don't suggest that "everybody does it". While most BI's realize that many college kids drink underage...you shouldn't be casual about it either.

• silvas006
      silvas006 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah most definitely, I was just going off of what you said about the few unlucky ones getting caught and charged. I own up to it, and I know it was wrong, not trying to minimize what I did.

• Iowa #1603
      Iowa #1603 commented
      Editing a comment
      In Iowa it is called PULA
      Possession Under Legal Age

• not.in.MY.town
      not.in.MY.town commented
      Editing a comment
      Iowa #1603 Yeah, New Jersey also calls it possession under legal age...which is more accurate than minor in possession. Obviously an 18-year-old isn't a minor, but they ARE under legal age to possess/consume alcohol.

Originally posted by silvas006 View Post
    My dream right now is to work in law enforcement and to get on with the Denver Police Department . However, I have some things on my background that I am worried about. My freshmen year of college I got an MIP, this was in 2012. My friend was prescribed adderall, and let me have one and used it to study, didn't help and never used it again, this was also in 2012. I smoked weed about 4 times in my life and haven't used it since 2012. Since then I have nothing on my background and have not used any drugs whatsoever. I am currently in my last year of graduate school and hope to get on after I'm done.
    I'm not familiar with Denver PD's hiring standards or how competitive the process is. But generally speaking, none of what you posted should DQ you or pose a HUGE hurdle.

- Like I mentioned above, underage drinking in college is pretty common. Some people just happen to get busted.

- One time use of Adderall as a "study aid" isn't anything too off the wall either. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a criminal offense...but not that unusual among college kids. If you had developed a habit of doing it you'd have a much bigger issue getting hired.

- Four times weed should still qualify as "experimental" and can be forgiven. Anything more than that could cause problems.

With everything you posted, "time is your friend". With more than five years since these events you should be fine. Successfully completing a graduate degree will work in your favor as well. Good luck!

Comment

• silvas006
      silvas006 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your feedback, I will be applying in March, I hope none of this affects me too heavily.

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    What is an MIP?
    I would have said "Major Idiot Problem", which I tend to encounter regularly. But that was before we were directed to be a kinder, gentler community.

On a totally unrelated note, there appear to be scuff marks on my footwear. If only there were a way to rectify the situation.

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
      not.in.MY.town commented
      Editing a comment
      Ouch. Compared to some other posters I'd say the OP only has (or had) a "MINOR Idiot Problem".

I am a bit on the fence about the Adderall. It is more commonly used than it should be in these situations. I do not personally think 1x use should be a fatal mistake, but you will run across some who do. I have no idea how Denver looks at it.
    In God We Trust
    Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

• silvas006
      silvas006 commented
      Editing a comment
      It was an automatic DQ for Lakewood dept in Colorado tho. Even though it was 5+ years since.

I don't think it's an automatic DQ. I wouldn't limit choices to just one dept. There are a lot of good depts. in Colorado. (Wyoming too, Cheyenne PD). You can lateral to DPD later if you don't get hired immediately.
    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8617 users online. 362 members and 8255 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X