300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Supervisors

Ok, so I've seen all the jokes and comments made about inept and otherwise bad supervisors.

Is this just a general joke about people above a certain rank, or are there actually that many bad ones out there...or are you just venting about particular occurences?? Do any of you have any particularly good supervisors, and if so, what makes them good? Why are the bad ones bad?

I was fortunate enough to have a good one for ten years. What made him good?

He'd gently insert a boot up our backsides only when or if we needed it.
    He'd not get emotional or belittle anyone when taking corrective action.
    He patted us on the back when we'd done a good job.
    He always wanted to know what HE could to help US do a better job.
    He had two modes: Boss mode and everyday mode. With everyday mode we became friends but there was never any doubt that he was the boss. It probably helped that I understood and complied with these two modes like I was supposed to.

In ten years I received only one emotional butt chewing from him. It was a short one but he still apologized later that day.

Comment

A good boss is one that'll fight for his troops when they're right, even though it's not the "politically correct" thing to do. He's honest, and gives credit where credit is due. If one of his troops screws up and needs his hand slapped, just slap the hand, don't cut it off at the wrist.
      Three Stripes beats Four Aces.
      Retirement: You've Won the War when you're Paid to Stay at Home.

Comment

A good boss will never ask you to do something he'd never do himself.
        -Stay safe

Comment

Originally posted by tex937
          Ok, so I've seen all the jokes and comments made about inept and otherwise bad supervisors.

Is this just a general joke about people above a certain rank, or are there actually that many bad ones out there...or are you just venting about particular occurences?? Do any of you have any particularly good supervisors, and if so, what makes them good? Why are the bad ones bad?
          being in the leo buisness in someways is very similiar to just about anywhere when it comes to supervisors, you can have good ones and you can have bad ones. Unfortuanly you probably have heard a good number of the horror stories of bad supv.'s, but there are a good number of good ones out there too.

Comment

I've had A FEW good bosses, mostly bad ones. What made them bad? The bad ones ALL had superiority complexes, wouldn't interact with the troops, put the Dept. above all else, including what was llegal. They'd lie, micro-manage, spread stories about subordinates, display favoritism & not care when called on it, expect far more from employees than they themselves did as officers, expect officers to do things they themselves didn't have the "stones" to do then criticize the officers about how it could be done better. I could go on, but I think most get the idea what these guys were/are like. The VERY FEW good ones? They knew the job, cared & associated with the troops, encouraged them & helped them progress in any way possible. IMO we have VERY POOR management, but damn good line officers here. I just don't know what happens to them when they get promoted

Comment

Ive had a few good sgts and Lts. They let us do our job and only showed up if they were asked to show up or if the #$%^% was really hitting the fan. When they did show up they supported us if we were right and didnt second guess us.

Comment

Originally posted by Camo Cop
                He'd gently insert a boot up our backsides only when or if we needed it.
                He'd not get emotional or belittle anyone when taking corrective action.
                He patted us on the back when we'd done a good job.
                He always wanted to know what HE could to help US do a better job.
                He had two modes: Boss mode and everyday mode. With everyday mode we became friends but there was never any doubt that he was the boss. It probably helped that I understood and complied with these two modes like I was supposed to.
                Sounds like my supervisor

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4035 users online. 260 members and 3775 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X