300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex cop car questions

Due to a series of bad things happening at the same time(Blew out my cars transmission and have no money because of college) I decided to buy a surplus crown vic because it was cheap and they're know to be somewhat reliable.

I do agree that I should de-cop it and make it look like a civillian car but I ran into a little bit of trouble, the dept I bought it from left all the lights in the car wired up to work and from the looks of it they have a weird power box wired up in the trunk that i'm not familiar with, controlling more than just the lights its controlling the ignition, power and most of the car really.

If I cut the power switch to the lights from the inside of the car will that be good enough for now, The only lights on the car are cornerlight flashers, mirror cap lights and some stuff behind the grille.

Originally posted by Cvjpmg View Post

If I cut the power switch to the lights from the inside of the car will that be good enough for now, The only lights on the car are cornerlight flashers, mirror cap lights and some stuff behind the grille.
    Probably not.

The interface box will probably power your headlights and tail lights also..........cutting ANYTHING may or may not cause needed components to not function properly
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

What year is your Crown Vic? Can you take pictures of it?

Comment

It's a 2005, It was originally a civillian car that chicago converted for police use but from the info that I could find they only used it for 6 months. Still has the chrome trim and stuff that you would find on the base cars. The whole wiring seems kinda half-assed so that's why I'm hesitant to go cutting everything.

I have the auction pics attached
        Attached Files

Comment

Grow a stache and get some aviators and embrace it.
          Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Originally posted by Cvjpmg View Post
            It's a 2005, It was originally a civillian car that chicago converted for police use but from the info that I could find they only used it for 6 months. Still has the chrome trim and stuff that you would find on the base cars. The whole wiring seems kinda half-assed so that's why I'm hesitant to go cutting everything.

I have the auction pics attached
            You'll have to look that one up. I don't know how much the civilian version differs from the CVPI version.

Search on-line for a 2005 Crown Vic upfitter's guide and compare it to yours. If any of the lights are strobes make absolutely 100% sure you have the power off before screwing with them. Best bet is to disconnect the battery.

You may want to take it to a professional.

Comment

I'd check the VIN to see if it was an interceptor or not. Ford offered some models with "street appearance" packages over the years.

Comment

Here's a different thought.

A lot of agencies build and install light control boxes that are unique to their vehicle lighting set up and design schemes. My department has one for black and whites, another for unmarked, a third for unmarked command cars, etc. They usually consist of the box and a wiring harness, Once you understand them they are usually pretty easy to install, uninstall and move to another vehicle.

If you're sure this is a CPD car, you might take a run by the city shop that installs lights, radios, shotgun racks, cages, etc., in new patrol cars that come from the factory, chat with one of their techs and see if you can hire him to moonlight and uninstall the system in your car. That will probable be the quickest an least complicated solution.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

There was an eastern US police chief here a couple weeks ago, looking for just such a car. Maybe you can flip it to him, then buy a car less likely to get you in trouble.

Dont reply to the thread, send a PM

https://forum.officer.com/forum/offi...ush-bar-lights
                  Last edited by Curt5811; 01-10-2018, 08:48 AM.
                  You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5534 users online. 243 members and 5291 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X