Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Perps reaching for a P.O.'s service weapon...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueLineBrad
    Well they better damn say it quickly before they meet a wall of lead. Deadly force situations happens in mere seconds and sometimes less than a second, im not gonna stand there and play 20 questions. If the media and special interest tards wanna sit back in their chairs and spend a month talking about a decision i had to make in under a second then thats their problem, im going home one way or another, i dont play these damn games.
    No doubt, it would be a "short lived window of opportunity" for them.

My point is simply that a situation changes fast (as you point out) and what may have been justified 3 seconds ago may no longer be justified. Just because a situation reaches a "lethal force appropriate" level doesn't mean that all that occurs after that remains so. A person has to keep the mind in gear.

Like I said, it wasn't a "flame of you", I just used your post and added info to try and illustrate a point for some greener types who might be looking over this.

Originally posted by -1042 Trooper
    As usual, T150, you're the thinker here. Your caviat is well put, again, as usual.
    I don't kniow that it's so "usual", but I do thank you for the comment. I knew what all you seasoned hands meant, but it just didn't seem complete in the writing.

Stay safe y'all ......
    Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 03-31-2007, 04:37 PM.
    "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

yeah, i copied and pasted it from my archives, and didnt proof read it...

here is what the full quote is.. sowey... lol

I have a real simple solution for gun retention, him, on the floor, unconscious for trying to get my gun. ~ Marc MacYoung
      Last edited by BikeCop501; 04-01-2007, 11:24 PM. Reason: i really need to start proof reading more
      Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

what do you think?

I am still a recruit with my local SO reserve program, in our training, we have been taught that if a suspect honestly grabs for our gun, we are to grab the suspects hand and hold it to the gun so they can not get it out of the holster, then yell out " LET GO OF MY GUN" while striking the suspect any way I can to produce distance and retain my weapon.

Does this sound like standard training to you veterans?
        because it seems to work for me
        Do the right thing, even when no one is watching

Comment

Originally posted by sorral
          I am still a recruit with my local SO reserve program, in our training, we have been taught that if a suspect honestly grabs for our gun, we are to grab the suspects hand and hold it to the gun so they can not get it out of the holster, then yell out " LET GO OF MY GUN" while striking the suspect any way I can to produce distance and retain my weapon.

Does this sound like standard training to you veterans?
          because it seems to work for me

That is what I was trained to do as well...pin their hand to the gun and lock down.

I've only had it happen one time..also with a safariland. I was able to get my asp baton out (not extended) and he got a few wacks in the forehead with a closed baton. Worked as intended.

Comment

Sounds right, that or grab the bottom and pull toward my body, that way its not able to get out...
            Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Originally posted by MiraiPO
              3 Questions: 1) Have any of you ever had a situation where a perp tried to take your gun from you? 2) If so how did you deal with it? 3) Is shooting someone that tries to take your weapon from you within your police guidelines?
              When a subject tries to take your weapon from you, there's one thing that's about to happen.... a murder in progress.

Comment

Well they better damn say it quickly before they meet a wall of lead. Deadly force situations happens in mere seconds and sometimes less than a second, im not gonna stand there and play 20 questions. If the media and special interest tards wanna sit back in their chairs and spend a month talking about a decision i had to make in under a second then thats their problem, im going home one way or another, i dont play these damn games.
                You can always tell when the answers come from a non cop. You may have to shoot the bad guy who is trying to disarm you. Or, you may be able to retain your weapon, create distance and draw down on him. If anyone thinks that killing someone just because they made the error of attempting to disarm a police officer is justified, please don't ever get hired and work near me. If you paint the picture that your life was in jeopardy, you may very well be justified. Think carefully before giving such a cavalier response, you may have to defend your current mindset somewhere down the road. By the way, when you go home, you should hope to stay there and not get yourself incarcerated.
                Jerry
                "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

Originally posted by jerrymaccauley
                  You can always tell when the answers come from a non cop. You may have to shoot the bad guy who is trying to disarm you. Or, you may be able to retain your weapon, create distance and draw down on him. If anyone thinks that killing someone just because they made the error of attempting to disarm a police officer is justified, please don't ever get hired and work near me. If you paint the picture that your life was in jeopardy, you may very well be justified. Think carefully before giving such a cavalier response, you may have to defend your current mindset somewhere down the road. By the way, when you go home, you should hope to stay there and not get yourself incarcerated.
                  Oh boo-hoo... its not normal behavior for a person to try and disarm a police officer, he has 1 intention and 1 intention only, to kill you. U can retain yer weapon and get some distance, like i said above, but then u need to draw and fire, unless of course he screams UNCLE and jumps on 1 foot and does a circle and spits 3 times. Gimme a break dude. BTW im a real cop, just not active at the moment since I just moved to a new state. You dont know it all and you never will, you will never really know what your going to do in a situation, im just explaining that the act above is not normal behavior and only has one purpose, to kill you. Retain, get back, draw and fire cause the second that gun clears that holster and u draw on him, retaining your firearm gets very difficult.

Comment

Ok so i was sittin here wondering why in the hell an officer would try and tell me I was wrong, then I realized that maybe there is a misunderstanding here, there has to be... Im assuming the suspect tries to get your weapon, Officer of course retains, and gets a little distance but the suspect continues to charge at you...

I did this type of scenario with another officer, I was able to retain and the best amount of distance I was able to get was like around 6 foot away from him and just as the muzzle cleared my holster he was already on top of me again, but i was able to "shoot" him, i deflected him and then fired... but he was back on top of me in no time, and you cant really get a lot of distance, you cant turn your back to the suspect and run a damn marathon away from him and get like a football field distance, thats unlikely.

Another situation maybe your not thinkin about is the amount of space your already in, and or objects in the way of you creating much distance at all, you cant afford to draw your weapon and say FREEEZE! This topic is really a non-issue for much discussion, I dont know if it was misunderstanding or not, I sure hope it was..

Comment

A very articulate response. If you can't discuss it here, you'd never justify your actions before a grand jury. I know, who cares? I can honestly say that I have been in such a situation, other than a training scenario. I'm greatful that I was able to retain my weapon, create distance and order the suspect to the ground. if he hadn't complied and rushed me, no doubt I would have shot him. Possibly multiple times. My concern is that you are already determining how you will respond when and if this happens. You might consider your options and not advertise your predetermined actions. If you think that these forums are so secure that your posts could never be used against you,think again. And no, this is a very good topic for discussion.
                      Jerry

Comment

My concern is that you are already determining how you will respond when and if this happens.
                        Its always WHEN. And NO, you prolly wouldnt want me working with you, Id take all your arrests and make you look bad.

Comment

Its always WHEN. And NO, you prolly wouldnt want me working with you, Id take all your arrests and make you look bad.
                          Is "prolly" an english word? And do I need any more proof that your law enforcement experience is non existant?
                          Jerry

Comment

What is the exact justification (articulation) if you break away, have him at gunpoint, and he comes at you empty-handed?

Seeing the "Police shoot un-armed man" concept...I've always been a little bit confused about that...

Comment

Is "prolly" an english word? And do I need any more proof that your law enforcement experience is non existant?
                              Ignore him....he's been banned......

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357
                                Ignore him....he's been banned......
                                Every now and then, I get sucked into these little exchanges. Thanks.
                                Jerry

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3943 users online. 247 members and 3696 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X