300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you feel appreciated?

Good evening, I with all that has happened with Law Enforcement over the last three years I would like to know if you feel appreciated by the public? Why or Why Not? And how do you deal with the,"this is what you singed up for," crowd? Thanks

Originally posted by Chicago1991 View Post
    Good evening, I with all that has happened with Law Enforcement over the last three years I would like to know if you feel appreciated by the public? Why or Why Not? And how do you deal with the,"this is what you singed up for," crowd? Thanks
    Every day

It is a rare day that someone dosn't come up and thank me or my partner for our service.

All you have to do is watch the video's of an officers funeral procession & see the outpouring of support
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I feel appreciated when I get paid.

Okay no, for reals. It’s not every day, but the communities I serve regularly show their appreciation for public safety.
      semper destravit

Comment

OP, I'm not sure what you mean about the '"this is what you singed up for," crowd'.

Please elaborate.

Comment

Most of the time, yes, I did. For as left wing as our community is, they actually do support our local law enforcement. The strongest example was when two officers were murdered in 2013. During the funeral procession, the main street was shoulder-to-shoulder on both sides for a mile with people stsnding in sympathy with us. Many residents who I met that week were truly in grief.

Overall, it was a pretty good place to be a copper.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by espantoon View Post
            OP, I'm not sure what you mean about the '"this is what you singed up for," crowd'.

Please elaborate.
            Whenever a cop is involved in a use of force incident, and try to explain why force was used to avoid injury or death some people say stuff like, "well you know what it would be like when you singed up." How do you deal with the crowd?

Comment

• RGDS
              RGDS commented
              Editing a comment
              There isn’t much you can do with that crowd. They have 100% locked down the argument. Police Officers sign up to be murdered and maimed. It’s a fact.

Their smug attitude is cute, almost as cute as how quickly that attitude disappears when they are victimized by an armed robber
              . But, hey... it’s what I signed up for.

Whenever a cop is involved in a use of force incident, and try to explain why force was used to avoid injury or death some people say stuff like, "well you know what it would be like when you singed up." How do you deal with the crowd?
            When you ask questions like "Why or Why Not".., and "How do you deal with..." it sounds very much like questions that a Police Science instructor would assign their students to ask of a serving police officer.

Is this a homework assignment?
            You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt5811 View Post

... questions that a Police Science instructor would assign their students...
              Curt, you’re showing your age by referring to criminal justice as “police science.”
              sigpic

Comment

• Curt5811
                Curt5811 commented
                Editing a comment
                And......?

• RGDS
                RGDS commented
                Editing a comment
                It’s called Justice Studies now... or Pre-Law....

Criminal Justice and Police Science are oppressive.

• Zeitgeist
                Zeitgeist commented
                Editing a comment
                News to me. Interesting. )

Once in a blue moon I feel 'appreciated.' I 'signed up for' this job 18 yrs ago. Obviously before 9/11, I try to help people. But I see the nastiness toward my colleagues and I. I will be happily collecting a pension soon. Whatever nasty attitude people have toward me (however misguided) is their problem, not mine. I will continue to do my job. Upon retirement I will be moving abroad. People in this country will ultimately get the police dept's that they think they want. God help them. I did the best I could and my conscience is clean
              Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

I am lucky to have worked in a very pro -LE area. It was not unusual for someone to say thank you on a frequent basis. Sometimes the most sincere way of showing support and appreciation can be a simple hello, how are you or even a head nod. Knowing you are seen as a person and not just a necessary evil is what you need.
                In God We Trust
                Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

How come you would say that a portion of the population has a smug attitude about the Police?

Comment

Well when someone walks past me and says 'don't shoot me' (after I've said good morning) I'd say that's pretty smug.
                    I deal with people as if my family are watching me. I am a professional.
                    Ironically, it's not the homeless, criminals and drug addicts that give me attitude. It's the regular citizens.
                    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 12-23-2017, 08:40 AM.
                    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

How come you would say that a portion of the population has a smug attitude about the Police?
                      Because they watch news media outlets (like CNN, MSMBC, and HuffPost) that demonize police use of force incidents in order to increase viewership revenues.
                      sigpic

Comment

It's funny. I feel appreciated each month when my CalPERS retirement check comes in. And as far as the public is concerned, they have formed many social justice groups who look at the amount of my and many other cops' retirement checks and cry, "This is NOT what we signed up for."

It kind of evens things out for me.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Policing is a thankless job, but I don’t do it to be thanked and it doesn’t really bother me one bit if I’m not appreciated by the public. What matters is I’m appreciated by my wife and children. They are the ones who matter at the end of the day. They are the ones and mostly my wife who feel the stress of my job, she is the one who stays up at night waiting for me to come home worrying whether when I left will be the last time she sees me or not. Yes, there will be people who appreciate you and be thankful for you whether you hear it from their mouth or not. What matters is we do our job with the upmost integrity, honesty, and service. We do our job where we can look in the mirror every day without conviction, guilt, or remorse. Do we make mistakes, yes, and I have made a few. It’s when you sell your integrity, you can never buy it back. I have made mistakes, but never been dishonest and never sold my integrity and I could look my family in the eyes and tell them I do my very best. Individually we will not change the world, but we can change a persons life and that is why we do it. There is also a flip side to that; being a cop is an awesome responsibility with an awesome amount of power. We have the power to take a persons freedom and to take a persons life. That is no small beer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7055 users online. 291 members and 6764 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X