300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualifications for CHP

I'm looking into pursuing a career in the California highway patrol, I am currently 25 . I would like to consider myself a good candidate but would like to hear others opinions from those who passed or are in progress with the CHP and what to expect

Employment history is rather decent been with my current employer for 4 years, have had 2 terminations in the past but also good moral standing with the other employers.

financial: I currently do have good credit no bankruptcies, no current collections, payment obligations current good standing

education: I have a bachelor's in science in technical management specialization Criminal justice not the grandest GPA nevertheless I do have a degree from an accredited college.

Driving history: one speeding ticket, a fix it ticket for Tinted windows , 2 Registration expires, 1 failure to provide insurance(did have insurance just forgot it at home) all have been taken care off

criminal history: I have no priors, or convictions record clean

extra: I do have 2 years of volunteer work I heard this can really help. CASA( Court Appointed Special Advocate) serve as a legal representative for a child in foster care. Also mentored and helped disruptive teens in a continuation school. No previous military work

New to this forum, thanks

Why do you want to go work for the Highway Patrol?
    Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
    Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

It's a challenging career with great benefits and respect. I have many deciding factors of I would like to pursue it. They serve the community, make challenging yet rewarding decisions that can have an impact on lives an keeping the areas safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Jyanez1992 View Post
        It's a challenging career with great benefits and respect. I have many deciding factors of I would like to pursue it. They serve the community, make challenging yet rewarding decisions that can have an impact on lives an keeping the areas safe.
        Yes, that all sounds great.

Not to disparage our guardians of the highway, but they take accident reports, arrest DUI's, and write tickets. That''s about it. Unless you're on a special assignment, a task force, etc. Their mandate, primarily, is traffic enforcement. You won't respond to domestics, fights, gang shootings, etc, unless you respond as mutual aid to the primary agency. Even then, you'll probably end up putting down cones on the perimeter. This is particularly true at the larger LA Metro and Bay Area offices. Crimes that occur on a freeway, outside of something traffic related, are referred to the primary jurisdiction agency (PD or SO.) You'll never be a homicide detective with CHP.

I love the Highway Patrol, and I've got some good friends that are both active and retired CHP officers. Just understand what that job specifically entails before you get into it.

Comment

I am well aware of that regardless I do have respect for all agencies and that type of work they do, that is why I want to pursue a career in the law enforcement. Based on the basic qualifications that i posted above do I stand a decent chance in the competitive market? What else would they really look into from a background investigators standpoint. Thanks

Comment

The internet is not to be trusted. Just because two “alleged” California Peace Officers say something doesn’t make it true.

On paper you look normal. IF you are hired, their EVOC is not for the faint of heart.

Apply and find out.
            semper destravit

Comment

• Blizz
              Blizz commented
              Editing a comment
              Not everything on the internet is true?! Serio?!

• RGDS
              RGDS commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, what CCCSD and Emma said. That was gospel.

• Blizz
              Blizz commented
              Editing a comment
              I miss CCCSD. Dude was The Joker to my Batman.

I am well aware of that regardless I do have respect for all agencies and that type of work they do, that is why I want to pursue a career in the law enforcement. Based on the basic qualifications that i posted above do I stand a decent chance in the competitive market? What else would they really look into from a background investigators standpoint. Thanks
            Sure. You look good on paper. No one wants to be a cop right now anyway.

Comment

I'm looking into pursuing a career in the California highway patrol, I am currently 25 . I would like to consider myself a good candidate but would like to hear others opinions from those who passed or are in progress with the CHP and what to expect

Employment history is rather decent been with my current employer for 4 years, have had 2 terminations in the past but also good moral standing with the other employers.

financial: I currently do have good credit no bankruptcies, no current collections, payment obligations current good standing

education: I have a bachelor's in science in technical management specialization Criminal justice not the grandest GPA nevertheless I do have a degree from an accredited college.

Driving history: one speeding ticket, a fix it ticket for Tinted windows , 2 Registration expires, 1 failure to provide insurance(did have insurance just forgot it at home) all have been taken care off

criminal history: I have no priors, or convictions record clean

extra: I do have 2 years of volunteer work I heard this can really help. CASA( Court Appointed Special Advocate) serve as a legal representative for a child in foster care. Also mentored and helped disruptive teens in a continuation school. No previous military work

New to this forum, thanks
              I'm going to be a little less supportive.

You appear to meet the minimum qualifications for admission to the testing process, however, your traffic citation history may pose an obstacle in the background process. You've got six duckets, one for speed, two for equipment, two for reg and one for insurance. This does not bode well when you consider that you are applying for a job with an agency that is charged with enforcing those very laws. In addition, the nature of such repeated and ongoing violations suggest a you lack the traits of dependability, thoroughness, accuracy, good judgement, initiative and resourcefulness, all of which are minimum requirements for the position of a CHP officer. This pattern reflects an attitude of someone who only complies with traffic laws when it doesn't interfere with their lifestyle. I'd go ahead and apply, but don't be surprised if you fail the background because of your traffic history.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4348 users online. 271 members and 4077 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X