Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disqualification question

Thanks for the truth guys
    Last edited by Scerick20; 07-16-2017, 04:39 PM.

Your past medical history is going to be a large speed bump in hiring. Anything that requires hospitalization/counseling/medication for psychological reasons is going to be looked at HEAVILY. Be prepared to explain (but don't minimize) the situation. In many agencies (including ones I applied to before I got hired) would look at this as an auto DQ. Your results may vary.

The weed smoking is also going to be looked at. You were old enough to make adult decisions yet you decided to smoke an illegal substance. How many times did you smoke?

I wouldn't say all is lost, but be prepared to be turned down by many agencies. You may get picked up by an agency somewhere that is desperate; be prepared to move if you really want the job.

Best of luck in the process.

Comment

The involuntary hospitalization for mental health treatment will be a significant hurdle

18 USC 922(d) is quite specific

Under 18 U.S.C. § 922(d), it is unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person “has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution.”

While states have different interpretations of this statute as to LENGTH of such bans----------------------most police agencies look at this as a "lifetime" ban. It's a liability thing.

No police chief / sheriff wants to be responsible for hiring the next Drew Peterson
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys.

With the 5150 you can go to court and appeal the ban and I've know people go 1-2 years after the 5150 and restored their gun rights. I let the 5 years pass and my rights are restored but I plan to disclose everything regarding the hospitalization.

And with my drug usage ive only smoked weed when I was younger but still a adult but I know getting on will be a struggle ,I'm in Washington so I plan to apply anywhere and everywhere. Any reccomendations on how to tackle the prior drug usage Hurdle

Would getting my paramdeic license help me ?
        Last edited by Scerick20; 07-16-2017, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scerick20 View Post
          Would getting my paramdeic license help me ?
          Being a licensed paramedic doesn't demonstrate your ability to perform the duties of a police officer. Don't waste your time and money.

Your 5150 commitment is not a background issue. Instead, it falls under medical.

In most states, every law enforcement candidate is evaluated to determine if they are free from any emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer, and to otherwise ensure that the candidate is capable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position.

Whether you can be hired will depend on your mental state at the time of processing, as determined through a series of written and in person psychological evaluation as administered by a licensed psychologist. Your prior 5150 commitment will be a factor in that evaluation but the final determination will be base on your current psychological state.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

Being a licensed paramedic doesn't demonstrate your ability to perform the duties of a police officer. Don't waste your time and money.

Your 5150 commitment is not a background issue. Instead, it falls under medical.

In most states, every law enforcement candidate is evaluated to determine if they are free from any emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer, and to otherwise ensure that the candidate is capable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position.

Whether you can be hired will depend on your mental state at the time of processing, as determined through a series of written and in person psychological evaluation as administered by a licensed psychologist. Your prior 5150 commitment will be a factor in that evaluation but the final determination will be base on your current psychological state.

Thank you for your reply , very insightful

Comment

Originally posted by Scerick20 View Post

With the 5150 you can go to court and appeal the ban and I've know people go 1-2 years after the 5150 and restored their gun rights. I let the 5 years pass and my rights are restored but I plan to disclose everything regarding the hospitalization.
              That has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that MOST LE agencies won't want to hire a person with a mental health hospitalization in their past .

It's one of those things that ....................its there, we are not interested in dealing with that type of background.

My opinion (and it is worth exactly what you paid for it) is that your chances of getting hired in Law Enforcement sit smack dab in the middle of "slight chance" and "non existent"
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I'd lean towards no chance. It's a liability issue and who could say that under stress you wouldn't break down again
                Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10277 users online. 478 members and 9799 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X