Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will these visual conditions DQ me from Law Enforcement??

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will these visual conditions DQ me from Law Enforcement??

Hello all, I am new to this so I'm sorry if I ****ed something up haha. Anyways I have a few visual conditions that I don't know if I can be DQ for. The first one is Ocular Migraines, although I DO NOT have any visual impairment from this, it is on my medical record. The second one is at night I see halos around lights and street lights( when I wear my glasses the halos are faint), but my vision is exceptionally good according to the Ophthalmologist investigating my eyes, 20/20 in my left eye and 20/25 in my right eye, My acuity is good and peripherals are good as well, I'm not sure if that issue will DQ. Lastly, last year I suffered a Corneal Erosion with was not serious, I was given eye drops to heal the issue and I have had any recurrent visual problems. Besides the few light eye floaters, I get from time to time those are all my visual conditions, my field of vision IS NOT impaired by any means. I was told that as long as the conditions are not impairing my vision and I pass the test, there shouldn't be any reason why I wouldn't get hired, I begin the Correctional Officer Academy in July assuming everything goes smoothly and I am looking forward to using this as a stepping stone to get into Law Enforcement. Thank you

Can you see? Good. Can you identify colors? Good.

I'd be more worried about your anxiety issues than your vision.
    You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt5811 View Post
      Can you see? Good. Can you identify colors? Good.

I'd be more worried about your anxiety issues than your vision.
      I definitely worry about my health and vision a lot because one condition can DQ me, but maybe the physical health process isn't as strict as i think

Comment

The police process goes by what you put down on any and all forms. They don't ask to bring in your medical jacket from birth to present day. If you out anything down stand by to explain it and have the folks needed to clear you.

also if it's not on paper some where it never happened. You don't need to give any more information than is asked for.
        I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

• Intensity22
          Intensity22 commented
          Editing a comment
          So they only look at what I put down? I thought they request your whole medical record and look at it themselves?

Check your state law and/or administrative code for medical standards for the law enforcement pension system. Those are standards you'll ultimately have to meet. There will be standards for corrected and uncorrected vision. There's probably something in there about migraine. In my state it's not a disqualifier unless "frequent and incapacitating."

Comment

OP- Think of it this way, do you really think the medical doctor for the department wants to look at every applicant's medical jacket? Most departments will contract with a local hospital or occupational med center. They have other patients. They will only, most of the time, request additional info when needed. If you feel your vision is an issue then list it. BUT look at the department you are applying with, check their medical standards and run it by your doctor. If your doc says no chances are so will the department doc.
          I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by Intensity22 View Post

I definitely worry about my health and vision a lot because one condition can DQ me, but maybe the physical health process isn't as strict as i think
            My impression is that if YOU FEEL this condition is troubling enough to worry about ......................maybe the condition will be troubling to a potential employer.

Maybe your condition isn't a deal breaker..........................but is enough of a "problem" that you would be a liability to your employer

Ocular Migraines can be disconcerting to a person as can "halo's around lights at night. I am not sure I would want a partner who experiences these conditions -------------especially when the manure hits the fan at night.

NOTE: Last year I was experiencing Ocular Migraines and the "halo" effect-------------------- since being diagnosed as a Type II Diabetic and getting my A1C "somewhat" under control I have not experienced either with any regularity ............but had I been working as a patrol officer when having those symptoms I would have worried about my ability to perform the job.

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

My impression is that if YOU FEEL this condition is troubling enough to worry about ......................maybe the condition will be troubling to a potential employer.

Maybe your condition isn't a deal breaker..........................but is enough of a "problem" that you would be a liability to your employer

Ocular Migraines can be disconcerting to a person as can "halo's around lights at night. I am not sure I would want a partner who experiences these conditions -------------especially when the manure hits the fan at night.

NOTE: Last year I was experiencing Ocular Migraines and the "halo" effect-------------------- since being diagnosed as a Type II Diabetic and getting my A1C "somewhat" under control I have not experienced either with any regularity ............but had I been working as a patrol officer when having those symptoms I would have worried about my ability to perform the job.
              I dont think that these conditions are troubling, I just have alot of visual conditions that ARE NOT serious and that DO NOT impair my vision, that could potentially be DQs just bc I have them.. If they say write down the conditions that are playing affect its going to be the halos, and the corneal erosion. Im just always worried about my health bc to be a LEO, you need exceptional health especially when it comes to your Visual Field

Comment

Vision standards will vary from agency to agency. However, most follow common basic guidelines. Print this out http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Vision.pdf, take it to your Opthalmologist and ask him to read it. Then ask him to pretend he is the police department's doctor who is being paid to represent their interests and not yours. Finally, ask him if, as the police department doctor, he would approve you for hire based on these standards, knowing what he does about your condition. That will give you a ballpark idea as to where you stand.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                  Vision standards will vary from agency to agency. However, most follow common basic guidelines. Print this out http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/Vision.pdf, take it to your Opthalmologist and ask him to read it. Then ask him to pretend he is the police department's doctor who is being paid to represent their interests and not yours. Finally, ask him if, as the police department doctor, he would approve you for hire based on these standards, knowing what he does about your condition. That will give you a ballpark idea as to where you stand.
                  Thank you, boss.

Comment

• Intensity22
                    Intensity22 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'll also add to that whenever I went to the eye doctor and they said they you have so and so condition, I would always ask them "do you think this condition will keep me out of Law Enforcement"? and they always responded saying "No I think you'll be fine".. if that means anything

You NEED to understand that what they say has zero impact on what the reality of things are.
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                    You NEED to understand that what they say has zero impact on what the reality of things are.
                    I know......

Comment

If your migraines inhibit or impair your ability to function at 100% at any given time, whether you can see fine or not... consider a different line of work. Dont put others in danger by not being able to function or do your job. Your deepest desire is not worth my life.
                      You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

Dispatcher. There's a job you can do.
                        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8420 users online. 254 members and 8166 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X