X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drug overdose investigation process questions for a novel

Hi!
    I'm writing a fiction novel featuring one main character (Rick) who's a rock star that accidentally overdoses on drugs, and is investigated by my other main character (Detective Elaina Wells). Rick survives his overdose and is currently in the hospital recovering. Elaina was just assigned the case, and it's to be treated a criminal investigation. (I've read many agencies are starting to do this, and I'm hoping I didn't read wrong.) What would her first steps be? Would she go and talk to Rick in the hospital before going to where he was found?

Also, there are two things I would like in the story, so any help with specifics that could tie everything together in an authentic way would be great. I'd like to keep things as accurate as I can. First, Rick's overdose was caused by a band member spiking his bottle of whiskey with ground up Dilaudid, though Rick himself was on prescribed Xanax and hydrocodone when he drank the bottle. The second thing is that same band member is a drug dealer who uses his position in the band and their tour schedule to sell drugs all over. I need a believable way this band member could have Rick end up on the hook for the amount of drugs initially, but not so much that Elaina can't get to the truth of the matter in the course of her investigation. If, when investigating the overdose, would it be realistic for Elaina to discover the drugs, say, in a cabinet on the tour bus where Rick overdosed? Would she need a warrant for that? If location matters, the story is set in a fictional town in California, not too far from LA.

I'd appreciate any help from those in the know. Thanks!

Yeah big investigation going into an OD lol. Narcan em, throw them in the wagon and move onto the next run on the board.

Comment

We don't investigate ODs unless there is a death or its a child. Your novel is about a DAILY occurrence in the music biz..
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
        We don't investigate ODs unless there is a death or its a child. Your novel is about a DAILY occurrence in the music biz..
        Yep, that's showbiz, just ask River Pheonix.

Comment

...and no one cares about celebrities ODing. It's actually seen as a public service.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
            ...and no one cares about celebrities ODing. It's actually seen as a public service.
            Yeah, "culling the herd", protecting the environment, the list goes on.

Comment

No death, no assignment. We would need an entire division of investigators to investigate every OD we see that survives. Even in my quiet little corner of the world, we see multiple OD's daily. The "investigation" would consist of a patrol officer asking if anybody knew the guy's name as they were loading him into the ambulance.
              Originally posted by kontemplerande
              Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                No death, no assignment. We would need an entire division of investigators to investigate every OD we see that survives. Even in my quiet little corner of the world, we see multiple OD's daily. The "investigation" would consist of a patrol officer asking if anybody knew the guy's name as they were loading him into the ambulance.
                Last edited by OfficerDotCom; 04-05-2017, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat180 View Post
                  Hi!
                  I'm writing a fiction novel featuring one main character (Rick) who's a rock star that accidentally overdoses on drugs, and is investigated by my other main character (Detective Elaina Wells). Rick survives his overdose and is currently in the hospital recovering. Elaina was just assigned the case, and it's to be treated a criminal investigation. (I've read many agencies are starting to do this, and I'm hoping I didn't read wrong.) What would her first steps be? Would she go and talk to Rick in the hospital before going to where he was found?

Also, there are two things I would like in the story, so any help with specifics that could tie everything together in an authentic way would be great. I'd like to keep things as accurate as I can. First, Rick's overdose was caused by a band member spiking his bottle of whiskey with ground up Dilaudid, though Rick himself was on prescribed Xanax and hydrocodone when he drank the bottle. The second thing is that same band member is a drug dealer who uses his position in the band and their tour schedule to sell drugs all over. I need a believable way this band member could have Rick end up on the hook for the amount of drugs initially, but not so much that Elaina can't get to the truth of the matter in the course of her investigation. If, when investigating the overdose, would it be realistic for Elaina to discover the drugs, say, in a cabinet on the tour bus where Rick overdosed? Would she need a warrant for that? If location matters, the story is set in a fictional town in California, not too far from LA.

I'd appreciate any help from those in the know. Thanks!
                  As has been posted above. LEOs involvement MAY include Narcan. (not all agencies use it or carry it). The scenario that you posted sounds like something that would be ignored here.....just another OD, which happens daily. Considered Medical not Criminal. Emphasize the attempted murder aspect.
                  Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13273 users online. 523 members and 12750 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X