300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put my under the table job on my employment history

First post on here but a long time lurker so Hi.

I'll get right too it. I'm actively trying to get into a law enforcement career and have just recently started applying like mad.

On one in particular though that I just recently got invited to do the PAT test I put my under the table job on my employment history without thinking. Will this DQ me during a BI process? I'm only working here because I couldn't find anything that would support myself and my parents who I'm helping out financially right now.

I have integrity and I'm willing to omit that I did work under the table but I didn't file my taxes this year on it due to financial reasons, so I just filed my Marine Corps Reserves W-2 instead. I do want to 1099 and file them at some point so I can have a clear conscious (Also because it's illegal not to) but, once again I'm in a tough spot financially right now.

If I make it that far in the process I refuse to lie about it, but I just would like to know if its an immediate DQ for doing so. I also have a fear of them calling and my boss saying that I was never employee due to those reasons as well.

The late Jimmy Hoffa used to tell his associates, "If you screw up, you'd better tell me about it, because I'm going to find out anyway". You know where I'm going with that.

OK, there's considerable ambiguity concerning your "under the table job". In other words, I (we) don't know what it is. If it's illegal, semi-legal, or simply paying you cash without withholding , that's illegal in itself. That said, the onus, the responsibility is still yours. And yes, you can be certain that a Background Investigator will find out about the job. If it's not on your application or employment history, you can count on being questioned concerning it.

You'd be well advised to get in touch with a reputable tax advisor, attorney, enrolled agent, or somewone who can advise you how to proceed with respect to your tax situation. If you live in a state which has state income tax, this advice will cover that as well.

BTW, you still have time to file your taxes, so you'd be well advised to seek this help as soon as you can. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenUSMC View Post
      First post on here but a long time lurker so Hi.

l.
      If you are a long time lurker.....................you know the answer to the question

TRUTH at all costs. Integrity is the one thing that no one can stress enough. If you don't have the integrity to tell the complete truth on a Law Enforcement application....................we don't want you
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

First, working "under the table" is not illegal. You are instead an independent contractor who is responsible for your own withholding and FICA. What most people don't realize is that as an independent contractor you now have many legitimate tax deductions you wouldn't have as an employee that can minimize if not negate your tax liability. For example, as an employee you cannot deduct your mileage to and from work but as an independent contractor you can deduct mileage to and from the job site. You can also deduct for phone, computer and tools, business meals and a whole slew of other items that have a reasonable connection to your earnings. You need to talk to an accountant or someone experienced in preparing taxes, but I have seen people working part time reduce their tax liability on under the table earnings to zero through legitimate deductions. For example, one of my fellow retirees was driving 86 miles a day round trip, two days a week for a part time job that only paid her $105 per day. 86 miles X the IRS authorized write off of $0.535 per mile = $46, immediately reducing her earnings for tax purposes to $59 per day. She also wrote off the cost of her cell phone, and monthly internet service which she used for work, the prorated cost of her computer and printer, and any restaurant meals she ate with others in which she discussed business. She also wrote off that portion of her tax preparation directed spent on the business. The list was endless and all legitimate. When she was through, she owed no taxes on the money earned.

In retirement I continue to run two businesses as an independent contractor that are fairly successful. I have an accountant who hounds me worse than the IRS, yet through legitimate business deductions I am only required to pay taxes on around 50% of what those business earn.

The whole point is, be honest, report it on your PHS, but at the same time learn the IRS rules about independent contractors and legitimate deductions and you will have little to fear tax wise.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

All depends what you were doing under the table. Was it done only under a table or was it done other places like the back seat of a car or on a dressing room? Did it require the use of knee pads? Were bodily fluids exchanged?

As stated earlier, without knowing the specifics of the job, you may or may not be ok.

First step is disclosure, next step is to pay your taxes and make things right.

​​
          Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
            First, working "under the table" is not illegal. You are instead an independent contractor who is responsible for your own withholding and FICA. What most people don't realize is that as an independent contractor you now have many legitimate tax deductions you wouldn't have as an employee that can minimize if not negate your tax liability. For example, as an employee you cannot deduct your mileage to and from work but as an independent contractor you can deduct mileage to and from the job site. You can also deduct for phone, computer and tools, business meals and a whole slew of other items that have a reasonable connection to your earnings. You need to talk to an accountant or someone experienced in preparing taxes, but I have seen people working part time reduce their tax liability on under the table earnings to zero through legitimate deductions. For example, one of my fellow retirees was driving 86 miles a day round trip, two days a week for a part time job that only paid her $105 per day. 86 miles X the IRS authorized write off of $0.535 per mile = $46, immediately reducing her earnings for tax purposes to $59 per day. She also wrote off the cost of her cell phone, and monthly internet service which she used for work, the prorated cost of her computer and printer, and any restaurant meals she ate with others in which she discussed business. She also wrote off that portion of her tax preparation directed spent on the business. The list was endless and all legitimate. When she was through, she owed no taxes on the money earned.

In retirement I continue to run two businesses as an independent contractor that are fairly successful. I have an accountant who hounds me worse than the IRS, yet through legitimate business deductions I am only required to pay taxes on around 50% of what those business earn.

The whole point is, be honest, report it on your PHS, but at the same time learn the IRS rules about independent contractors and legitimate deductions and you will have little to fear tax wise.

My colleague has just given you information worth a dump truck full of cash, IMHO. You got it free. Absorb it, act on it. It's the best advice you're going to get. Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 16449 users online. 479 members and 15970 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X