Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it doable to go through police academy and be a reservist at the same time?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it doable to go through police academy and be a reservist at the same time?

I have a little less than 5 months till academy and I'm honestly bored out of my mind. I've always wanted to join the military and I figured now that I have some free time I could go through Army basic and be back in time to start academy? I'm pretty set on doing it but one of my mentor's who is a cop but has never been in the military has said it may be a bit much? I don't want to bite off more than I can chew either but I'm honestly not sure if I'll have another "free" point in my life where I'd be able to join the military. Has anyone here gone through academy while in the reserves and did you find it difficult to balance your time? Or did you find the additional obligations fairly negligible?

You won't be enlisting and going away within the next five months. It's much more complex than that.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      You won't be enlisting and going away within the next five months. It's much more complex than that.
      I'm going ARNG as 09s(officer candidate) so I'd only need to do basic then I can be back home. My recruiter said she can quick ship me and I'd leave the first week of April which gives me plenty of time to come back in time for academy.

Comment

So you want to go through two life changing experiences at the same time----------------------

Good luck with that
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          So you want to go through two life changing experiences at the same time----------------------

Good luck with that
          Hey man, it's OCS. Nothing like the "real" Basic Combat Training that soldiers go through. :-D
          Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

So you asked about being a "reservist", not NG. Fix that.
            When are you going to Branch School? You can't drill during the academy, so that's six months you won't be at your unit. How are they with that?

Are you affiliated? If so, then you need to figure out how you are going to do FTO and drill. It's going to impact your training.

You seem to feel that "joining the Army" is a lark, something to pass the time. That's going to make you a ****ty "Leader" and you are going to screw over those assigned to you.

What happens if your unit unit is deployed DURING the academy? Thought about that? Needs of the service dictate the rules, not you.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
              So you asked about being a "reservist", not NG. Fix that.
              When are you going to Branch School? You can't drill during the academy, so that's six months you won't be at your unit. How are they with that?

Are you affiliated? If so, then you need to figure out how you are going to do FTO and drill. It's going to impact your training.

You seem to feel that "joining the Army" is a lark, something to pass the time. That's going to make you a ****ty "Leader" and you are going to screw over those assigned to you.

What happens if your unit unit is deployed DURING the academy? Thought about that? Needs of the service dictate the rules, not you.
              OCS is essentially my branch school. The NG program is 18 months long once a month and if I joined it wouldn't start till March 2018 so I have the rest of this year going to drill with no MOS so I figured since I have no MOS responsibilities I would have a bit more time to devote to academy.

The academy I'm going to is M-F 7-5 with most weekends off. I talked with what will be my home unit's commander and she said I can make up drill days if I need certain drill weekends off.

I'm not affiliated yet but the department I want to join seldom hires folks who aren't attending/have a post certificate. You definitely bring up a valid point with FTO which is my main worry. I'd be starting FTO at the same time I'm doing OCS provided I get hired.

Joining the National Guard has been something I've wanted for awhile now. I've just been putting it off every time it has come up.

I can't deploy if I have no MOS.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalAspirant View Post

OCS is essentially my branch school. The NG program is 18 months long once a month and if I joined it wouldn't start till March 2018 so I have the rest of this year going to drill with no MOS so I figured since I have no MOS responsibilities I would have a bit more time to devote to academy.

The academy I'm going to is M-F 7-5 with most weekends off. I talked with what will be my home unit's commander and she said I can make up drill days if I need certain drill weekends off.

I'm not affiliated yet but the department I want to join seldom hires folks who aren't attending/have a post certificate. You definitely bring up a valid point with FTO which is my main worry. I'd be starting FTO at the same time I'm doing OCS provided I get hired.

Joining the National Guard has been something I've wanted for awhile now. I've just been putting it off every time it has come up.

That's what you think. Keep in mind that as a member of the NG, you're obligated to both the State and Federal government. EVERYBODY that wears the uniform is 11B MOS qualified if the Army so chooses to do so. If there is a natural disaster and the governor of your state activates the NG, and your unit gets called up, it is very likely that you will be ordered to duty and will be doing things like filling sand bags, directing traffic, etc. Not all jobs require a MOS when there is a critical need.
                Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Shocked at a lot of the replies in this thread.

Enlist now, go to Basic soon, go to the Academy.

I assume you're going to be doing OCS at Camp Roberts?

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post

That's what you think. Keep in mind that as a member of the NG, you're obligated to both the State and Federal government. EVERYBODY that wears the uniform is 11B MOS qualified if the Army so chooses to do so. If there is a natural disaster and the governor of your state activates the NG, and your unit gets called up, it is very likely that you will be ordered to duty and will be doing things like filling sand bags, directing traffic, etc. Not all jobs require a MOS when there is a critical need.
                    That's a fair point. I've always wanted to serve and Ive given this quite a bit of thought. I figured the risks of anything happening in 6 months are low but I'm sure reservists who were in academy when 9/11 happened thought the same.

Comment

You seem to have all of this figured out, yet you're inquiring here. Look: none of us here are opposed to military service. Most of us have done it. There's an old saying which proclaims. "You can work hard, or you can work smart".

I would suggest to you that any of the options you mentioned, will require 100% dedication and much hard physical and mental effort. It would be far better for you to concentrate on one activity at a time. Surely, you have sufficient imagination to fill the months remaining prior to the academy. That opus will demand your full, 100% attention.

Once you're settled/established at an agency is when you can contemplate Guard or Reserve service. Many folks balance this time quite successfully, but it will always be a challenge.

Comment

I loved serving in the military. I love serving as a police officer.

I hated boot camp and initial training and I hated the academy and FTO. I wouldn't want to do them back to back or concurrently or however you are planning it.
                        I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

My recruiter said
                          Anything prefaced by "my recruiter said" has less than a 10% chance of being accurate.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Originally posted by CAARNG 68W View Post

Don't be shocked. Many of us are serving/have served, and know the issues. Trying to drill and attend the academy is a set up for failure. That "18 months" requires more than one weekend, BTDT.

So...next year, he'll be posting in AAC about why he can't get hired...

Comment

Originally posted by CAARNG 68W View Post

Yes OCS is in San Luis Obispo. I noticed your name and I was wondering if you went through academy as a reservist or if you joined after?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7902 users online. 421 members and 7481 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X