Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a written warning and also being told you'll get a letter in the mail.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a written warning and also being told you'll get a letter in the mail.

My 84 year old mother told me a police officer pulled her over a few days ago. She had no idea why, but she said the officer told her she was going about 5 mph below the speed limit in the left-hand lane and was swerving somewhat into the other lane. The officer came to the window and my mom already never knows which buttons to push to open the window (she usually hits the open or close on the locks button or pulls up the window button when she should push it) and was so flustered from being stopped that the officer had her open the door so he could get the window down. The officer asked her if she was confused, and how old she was, where she was going, whether she had alcohol in the car. Well no alcohol because she doesn't drink and she was just going about 3 miles up the road to the grocery store. She will drive slow in the left hand lane because she doesn't like changing lanes and the store was on the left hand side.The officer gave her a written warning but also told her she'd be getting a letter in the mail within about a month. Now she is so worried that this letter is going to say they are going to take away her license or that she needs to take a driving test.

Does anyone know what letter she'll be getting in the mail?

Usually a warning is just verbal or a piece of paper handed to the operator, but I wasn't there so I do not know what took place... maybe he is requiring her to get a driving re-evaluation, as he felt she was unfit to be driving. That would be sent by the MVA/DMV, but again, I wasn't there. None of us could possibly know what is coming in the mail.
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Probably a re-test letter.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

In Arkansas when an officer has a reason to suspect someone should not be driving due to age or any other reason it is reported to the office of driver control. Driver control will contact the person to determine if their license should be revoked.
        Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
        In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
        Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
        Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

Yep. A DMV retest letter. She'll have to set an appointment with a DMV examiner to review her driving ability and whether or not it's time for granny to get off the highways.
          Originally posted by kontemplerande
          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Will they actually require her to take a driving test or is it just having her come in to be mentally examined? She is so worried that she will have to drive with an instructor and just knows that she would fail due to nerves. She couldn't even put the window down when the officer came up to the car because she was so flustered so he had to have her open the door so he could do it for her which I'm sure didn't help her situation. She was hitting the lock buttons and pulling on the window button rather than pushing it. She said she was a nervous wreck for the rest of the day because she has never been stopped before in her life. Is there a way to fight it if they do revoke her license? She lives alone and no family is nearby to take her places.

Comment

It's a driving test and vision test, at least here in MD. My grandfather got re-evaluated and had 2 accidents in the parking lot before getting to the driving test, needless to say, he lost his license.

She can always appeal the DMV's decision, but they will just keep making her take the tests. She HAS to take the tests to get/keep her license. State requires it.
              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
              that we are all that stands between
              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Yep. What they said. The "Letter" is most likely from the licensing issuing agency and she will be evaluated as to her ability to SAFELY operate a motor vehicle.
                My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mapper View Post
                  Will they actually require her to take a driving test or is it just having her come in to be mentally examined? She is so worried that she will have to drive with an instructor and just knows that she would fail due to nerves. She couldn't even put the window down when the officer came up to the car because she was so flustered so he had to have her open the door so he could do it for her which I'm sure didn't help her situation. She was hitting the lock buttons and pulling on the window button rather than pushing it. She said she was a nervous wreck for the rest of the day because she has never been stopped before in her life. Is there a way to fight it if they do revoke her license? She lives alone and no family is nearby to take her places.
                  If she has all those problems she should not be driving. If she gets that "flustered" she certainly couldn't make the split second decisions required for driving and would be a danger to herself and other motorists on the road with her.
                  Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
                  In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
                  Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
                  Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

My Mother is the same age and thankfully no longer driving. I know it's a key to their independence, but sometimes it is time to hang up the keys. I feel for you and her also. There are volunteer groups that will drive seniors to various activities. It's worth looking into for her safety and the public's.
                    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

I contacted the WI DMV and, although they cannot tell me what exactly the paperwork was, it was sent by the medical division of the DMV. This person told me that she has 30 days to get the paperwork back to them or her license will be canceled. Once the paperwork is received by the DMV they will notify her by mail if anything else is needed by her. So if she sends back the paperwork from the doctor and the doctor says she's okay then does that mean she doesn't need to retest?

I realize that officers probably have no idea about this, but thought I'd ask.

Comment

Will they actually require her to take a driving test or is it just having her come in to be mentally examined?
                        Depends on your state.

In CO I believe they do the whole thing: Written test, eye test and driving test.

She was hitting the lock buttons and pulling on the window button rather than pushing it.
                        If she can't open the window correctly do you really think she should be driving? Might be time for her to hang it up.

Had one a few months ago that I was _sure_ was drunk... nope, just driving while old.

Got him a ride home and the family convinced him it was that time. Might be that time for her.
                        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by Mapper View Post
                          So if she sends back the paperwork from the doctor and the doctor says she's okay then does that mean she doesn't need to retest?
                          Now that you've stated this is Wisconsin, I can be a little more precise for you.

She'll be getting a packet from the Medical Review and Fitness Section of the DMV. In that packet will be a questionaire for her to fill out and a MV3644 for her physician to fill out. In order for a physician to fill out the form, the doc must complete a full physical. The doc will list pertinent findings and then make a series of recommendations regarding her ability to drive safely. The packet is then returned to MRFS.

MRFS will review the information provided and make a decision as to what the next step will be. Their findings will either be "No Action", "Retest Required", or "Cancellation". No Action means that everything is ok and the license can continue on as normal. Retest requires that she go to her local DMV to retake the knowledge and skills test to determine if she can be a safe driver. Lastly, Cancellation means that based on the medical examination alone, they find cause to simply cancel the operating privilege outright.

From a practical standpoint, nearly all doctors will recommend a DMV retest unless the patient is 100%, no doubt, capable of being a safe driver. If there's any doubt whatsoever (like having to be medically tested...), the vast majority of doctors will recommend retest. It's a liability issue for them. If they send back the form saying the person is capable of being a safe driver and the next week that person kills someone in a car wreck, it can come back on them.

Even if MRFS recommends No Action, it is highly likely that when she goes to renew her DL when it's expiring, she will be made to retest at that time.
                          Originally posted by kontemplerande
                          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Thanks for your answer. Even if she just had a physical in the last couple of months and everything was fine, she still has to go through all that again?

Comment

I certainly sympathize with you and your Mom. My dad is 89 and although he still has a valid license in SC, he is no longer driving due to health concerns. It is hard on him, and harder on my Mom who now has taken over the driving duty that has most always been his.
                              While it's no fun to flag drivers we are concerned about, it is necessary. I've seen too many tragic accidents result from older folks being on the road who honestly had no right to be operating a car. Also, older folks often don't fare well in motor vehicle collisions that a young person would easily survive.
                              Best of luck to your Mom- I hope she does well.
                              SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                              SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5834 users online. 407 members and 5427 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X