300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I still become a LEO?

Good afternoon, this is my first post so I'm sorry if this is not posted in the correct forum. 6-7 years ago I was a teenager and Got arrested for a felony drug charge (possession with intent to distribute). I would buy pot (5 grams at a time) and if my friends needed some I would sell it to them. I wasn't a "drug dealer" but on my juvenile record I'm sure it looks that way. Anyways I completed my probation, no issues since, record sealed. Ever since then I have been walking a line straighter than laser beam. I work full time and when I'm not working I'm taking care of my family, I have a wife and daughter.

Recently I have been contemplating becoming a police officer, I am just wondering if my juvenile record is going to hold me back (I'm in California if that makes a difference). During an interview I can provide many letters of recommendations from a judge, my old probation officer, police officers, a former captain in the Marine Corp...Etc. any advise is greatly appreciated! I'm sorry if it seems like I'm rushing through this post, I am on my lunch break at work. God bless!

The "sealed" record isn't and if you were selling pot to people who "needed some" you were a drug dealer. It is commendable that you have turned it around and are going the right direction, but it's not looking good for the background investigation.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

slamdunc Thank you for your reply. In your opinion, is there anything I can do? Is it set in stone I am disqualified or will it all come down to the review board's decision? On the Riverside Sherrifs department websight it says no adult felonies but does not mention juvenile; either way I plan on being completely truthful and honest for the sake of my integrity. Is there any hope?

Comment

Candidates will be disqualified in the background investigation for reasons that include, but are not limited to...
        Just because they didn't list it doesn't mean you get a pass. A juvenile adjudication equivalent to a felony drug distribution would be an auto DQ most places. Trying to minimize your actions by stating you weren't a "drug dealer" after explaining how you purchased marijuana and resold it won't help you, either.

Comment

DD312 I understand, and truth be told it is what I was expecting; but I don't want to leave any stone unturned if there is a way I want to find it. I was thinking about writing a letter to the county Sherrif-Corener asking for a way to redeem myself for my previous wrong doings and prove I am a changed man. Do you think this might help? If not is there anything you can recommend I try? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Did you ever have any of this marijuana on school property?

You are going to face some steep hurdles. Without being your background investigator, as a broad brush example the candidate with limited work experience and a GED and no college and no criminal history is a better pick than you. A big agency like RSD is at best going to leave you in the "maybe" pool.

But, like I said I am not your BI. Apply and find out for yourself.
            semper destravit

Comment

I can speak from experience in Maryland, that it does not look good...AT ALL...for you.
              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
              that we are all that stands between
              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Yes, you can still be a Leo.

Buy this suit and wear it. Problem solved.

Seriously, the question to ask isn't whether you could technically qualify its why would a department hire YOU over somebody exactly like you who WASN'T a drug dealer?

Then throw in the fact that they've got plenty of candidates who completed high school, have at least some college, have military service and other more extensive work history... who ALSO weren't drug dealers.

So. Why do they hire you instead?
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                Last edited by tanksoldier; 01-20-2017, 08:25 AM.
                "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

tanksoldier look I understand what your saying, I don't think you need to be quite as rude but I get it, I'm a ****ty candidate; virtually nothing going for me, I messed up and nothing I do can fix that. What I'm asking is there any chance at all, no matter how small it is, I'll apply to every department in the country if I know there is even the slightest chance.

Comment

Not with an arrest at 7 years ago, especially possession with intent to distribute. That's gonna kill your chances almost everywhere.
                    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                    that we are all that stands between
                    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Any person convicted of a felony (or of a crime in another jurisdiction that would be a felony in California) is prohibited from employment as a California peace officer [Government Code §1029(a)]. This prohibition holds even if the conviction was sealed, expunged, or set aside. It may also apply to any convictions that were subsequently reduced to a misdemeanor occurring on or after January 1, 2004.

Proceedings under juvenile court are generally not considered to be a criminal conviction under GC §1029 unless the individual was certified, tried, and convicted as an adult. Therefore, juvenile convictions are not included as a legal bar to appointment as a peace officer.

However, the conduct surrounding the offense should certainly be considered as part of the overall background.
                      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I don't think you need to be quite as rude but I get it
                        Oh. Fortunately I left my "give a damn what you think" in my other pants.
                        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I would buy pot (5 grams at a time) and if my friends needed some I would sell it to them
                          I wasn't a "drug dealer"
                          http://coub.com/view/3ce3o

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony1996 View Post
                            tanksoldier look I understand what your saying, I don't think you need to be quite as rude but I get it, I'm a ****ty candidate; virtually nothing going for me, I messed up and nothing I do can fix that. What I'm asking is there any chance at all, no matter how small it is, I'll apply to every department in the country if I know there is even the slightest chance.
                            Go apply at Chicago, they would be honored to have you on the force.
                            https://forum.officer.com/forum/publ...mote-diversity
                            Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
                            In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
                            Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
                            Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

When people say "I will apply anywhere" I want to say, really, anywhere? Guam (CNMI) and the USVI are hiring. As are the BIA Police at Pineridge.....
                              semper destravit

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3263 users online. 159 members and 3104 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X