Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to formally compliment an Officer?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to formally compliment an Officer?

Without sounding like a kissa**, where do I go from here?

I had a non-criminal encounter with a Police officer three weeks ago.
    I feel that he went beyond the call of duty in resolving the situation.
    From the LEO's point of view, what would be the most beneficial way to compliment him?

Should I write a letter to him?
    Should I write a letter to his immediate supervisors?
    To his top supervisors?
    Send multiple letters?
    File a report?

You get the idea.
    I'm back in the game baby.

Not a LEO.

A letter to the chief wouldn't hurt.

I work in a very small department, so perhaps protocol elsewhere will vary.
    summer - winter - work

Comment

It's a fairly large Sheriff’s Department.
      I was thinking the Major or Sheriff himself maybe?

The LEO was a rookie if that makes any difference.

Not a LEO.

Comment

Write to the head of the department. The Chief or Sheriff. They will get your letter to the officer as well as place a copy in his personell jacket.

Comment

Sent it to the Sheriff. Traditionally the sheriff will write an attaboy comment on it and send it down the chain of command. Not to be outdone, each manager and supervisor who sees it will feel compelled to put their attaboy on it as well. By the time it gets to the bottom of the food chain, it will have so many nice notes that the rookie will feel pretty good about having gotten so much recognition.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Letter to the editor of the newspaper and his boss.

I'm getting ready to write a similar letter for a city employee (non-LE) who recently went above and beyound w/ a sewer problem at my house.

IMO, people should write more of these kinds of letters.

Comment

Was the Letter to the editor a joke or would they really publish that?

Not a LEO.

Comment

I would definately send the letter to he Sheriff/Chief. Your city's political climate with determine whether the letter would be published in the paper. In Dallas, if it's positive it definately won't make the paper.

Comment

As others have said, a letter to the chief/sheriff will ensure it gets to the officer. As an SA with a federal agency, I often rely on/work with local and/or state police agencies. When our investigation is finished, or whatever matter I was involved with them, I will always try to send a letter to the chief/sheriff/supt thanking him/her for the support of there department and will cite the specific officers who helped. Sometimes (depending on our supply) I will try to send along a mug with my agencies logo on it, or maybe a plack depending on the scale of the operation, you know, just something nice to show my appreciation.

Comment

You need my Sheriff's name and address?
                    sigpic
                    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Nothing quite says thank you like a letter to the chief.
                      I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

Originally posted by Consultant
                        Without sounding like a kissa**, where do I go from here?

I had a non-criminal encounter with a Police officer three weeks ago.
                        I feel that he went beyond the call of duty in resolving the situation.
                        From the LEO's point of view, what would be the most beneficial way to compliment him?

Should I write a letter to him?
                        Should I write a letter to his immediate supervisors?
                        To his top supervisors?
                        Send multiple letters?
                        File a report?

You get the idea.
                        Send a letter to the Chief (PD) or Sheriff (SO).

The Chief or Sheriff will likely then send the letter to the next person down the chain of command, usually with his own note on top of the orginal. It will keep working it's way down the chain until it reaches the Officer's/Deputy's direct supervisor.

When we want to thank a local or state officer we have one of our bosses send a letter to the Chief, Sheriff or whomever else heads the agency. Always a pleasure to have a cop call and say thanks for ensuring everyone from the Chief to the shift Sargeant, and everyone in between, know they're doing a great job.

When thanking another federal agent we send a letter to the Special Agent in Charge (SAC). The only way to go higher for the feds would be to contact someone in HQ back in DC, but that is usually overkill. Again, always a pleasure to hear from another agent saying thanks for letting everyone from the SAC to the Group Supervisor, and everyone in between, know they're doing a great job.
                        Last edited by SA13; 02-22-2007, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Get him a lap dance from a stripper.
                          Anyone who believes "the customer is always right" has never been a police officer.

Comment

In addition to a hard copy letter to the agency head, if it is an agency with a website, many times both complaints and compliments can be e-mailed.

And, by the way, thanks for asking!
                            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Get him a six pack! No, all joking aside, I agree with sending a letter to the Sheriff.
                              "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10035 users online. 366 members and 9669 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X