300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Duty Carry Question

Alright I'm fairly certain I'm going to be hired. I've passed all my tests and have a conditional offer. All that is left is for them to interview my girlfriend. I have a few questions about the job that I wouldn't ask my superiors because I don't want to look stupid, but I don't mind looking stupid in front of you guys

So, in many agencies I've read that you're required to carry a pistol while you're off duty. So say you know you're going out to have some drinks with your buddies, do you bring your firearm? I can imagine the repurcussions of having to shoot someone and then getting a BAL test showing positive. On the other hand, say someone hurts someone else and you couldn't stop it because you didn't have your firearm. So basically, if you're going to drink, do you bring the boomstick?
    "Mom says when I have the badge on you have to respect me!"--Officer Dewey

Well that depends on your dept. policy.

1 or 2 maybe...getting hammered..hell no
    Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Originally posted by CashMony
      Alright I'm fairly certain I'm going to be hired. I've passed all my tests and have a conditional offer. All that is left is for them to interview my girlfriend. I have a few questions about the job that I wouldn't ask my superiors because I don't want to look stupid, but I don't mind looking stupid in front of you guys

So, in many agencies I've read that you're required to carry a pistol while you're off duty. So say you know you're going out to have some drinks with your buddies, do you bring your firearm? I can imagine the repurcussions of having to shoot someone and then getting a BAL test showing positive. On the other hand, say someone hurts someone else and you couldn't stop it because you didn't have your firearm. So basically, if you're going to drink, do you bring the boomstick?
      I can't tell you how many good officers lose thier job for going out and choke'in down a few BUDS. I have seen them fired for failing to offer assitance and I have seen them fired for getting involved in an incident after having a few. I know a few of the guys will go the other way with this 1 but if this job a career choice and not just a couple year job for you. Stay home and drink and don't drink in public because if you do It will chap that back side for ya in the end. No matter how much you like it you are better off drinking with the boys around a poker table at the house.
      Your a daisy if you do.

Comment

There is not a single agency in my surrounding area of employment that mandates the carry of a firearm during off duty hours.

Comment

Chiller has it right. If it gets to be more than a couple, or it looks like it's going to be, go out to the car and secure your weapon in the trunk. Once you take it off, your police role becomes witness, and your primary weapon is your cellphone to call dispatch.

Most cops would advise you this should be the case off duty, drunk or not... It's usually not worth it to get involved. Obviously, life and death or protecting the weak and innocent is not what I'm talking about, but in most cases you're wayyy better off to take good notes and call it in.
          LVMPD:THE BEST

Comment

Originally posted by duke3478
            Chiller has it right. If it gets to be more than a couple, or it looks like it's going to be, go out to the car and secure your weapon in the trunk. Once you take it off, your police role becomes witness, and your primary weapon is your cellphone to call dispatch.

Most cops would advise you this should be the case off duty, drunk or not... It's usually not worth it to get involved. Obviously, life and death or protecting the weak and innocent is not what I'm talking about, but in most cases you're wayyy better off to take good notes and call it in.

Not to mention more court dates on your off time.........####-it
            Your a daisy if you do.

Comment

Originally posted by CashMony

Night out with plans to drink all night, just leave it home. Try to stay away from places where fights happen often and you should be good.
              "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

Absolutely, positively rule number one...alcohol and firearms DO NOT MIX. If you're drinking, leave the firearm locked up at home.
                "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

My Office policy leaves space for discretion; We're supposed to have a weapon "readily available" at all times, depending on the Deputy's activities. We take into account all sorts of activities, drinking included.

We're not allowed a single drop of alcohol if armed.
                  I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

My city doesn't require us to be armed off duty. We have to have our ID card, but not our weapon.

If you want to keep your badge, getting drunk is something you do on vacation in a foreign country, or at home.
                    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jwise
                      My city doesn't require us to be armed off duty. We have to have our ID card, but not our weapon.

If you want to keep your badge, getting drunk is something you do on vacation in a foreign country, or at home.
                      I wouldn't carry my ID without a weapon, that is just asking for trouble.

It is against state law to carry when consuming alcohol or with any BAC above .00. Even if it was legal, I wouldn't carry if I was drinking at all.
                      -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

Originally posted by Landric
                        Agreed, and I highly doubt jw was suggesting it, merely quoting his departmental policy. This reminds me of that off duty LASO deputy who was murdered, execution style, during a take over robbey in a Buena Park hair salon. I doubt any LEO with a grain of sense, would carry their LE ID card only. For the longest time, I would carry my off duty weapon "only", for fear of becoming a victim of such a scenario.
                        "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

If you're drinking, don't carry your gun. If you can't live without your gun, don't drink. It's pretty simple. I don't think it's reasonable to believe you'd be fired for not having your gun while you were drinking. I don't think it's even legal to require you to carry off duty. You're not getting paid to be the police 24/7, so why should you have to carry 24/7? Especially if you're not in the town in which you work.

Especially if you insist on carrying your ID card, your badge and a separate wallet to hold them both.......

Comment

I'm surprised that any California agencies still have a "shall carry" policy for off duty personnel.

Back in the 1970s this came back to bite the justice system. On St. Patrick's Day, an off duty SFPD officer who was drunk, came across an off duty parking checker in a financial district bar. The officer, who had a long standing feud with the parking checker, walked up to him, drew his weapon, shot him in the back of the head and killed him.

The officer was tried and convicted by a jury of murder and committing a felony while armed with a firearm. However, the conviction for committing a felony while armed was reversed by the judge. Their logic was that because the officer was required by his department (the government) to be armed at all times, it was inappropriate for the government to now punish him for having complied with that order. I know the logic sounds a little twisted. Nonetheless, I am not aware of it ever being overturned.
                            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by duke3478

Another point...
                              If your drinking to the point where you dont think you should be carrying try not to drive either...that will get you in just as much trouble.

I would advise leaving it home, with your car, if you know you will be drinking. Even if your Dept. policy requires you be armed I would like to see them try to hold you accountable for not stepping in while off duty...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5339 users online. 290 members and 5049 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X