Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer Safety, Traffic stop (Parking)

Ok I was on the Memorial boards and I see a bunch of officers died due to hit by car on a traffic stop.

Why cant you park your car about 3-4 feet to the left of the car you are stopping, would that not help this ? The angle of the car coming would be much greater

An officer that dies on duty is just awful to me. I do not want to be one of them .

Any thoughts ? !
    Last edited by Artic_storm; 02-05-2007, 03:09 PM.
    We remember the officers who we never really knew,
    Persons strong enough to answer the challenge are few,
    With heavy hearts we mourn the officers in eternal rest,
    There's more to these people than the badge on their chest.

Due to the sensitive nature of your question, you won’t (or shouldn’t) get any detailed responses. Suffice it to say traffic stop procedures do address this issue. Every stop is different and every stop entails some degree of accidental and felonious assault. Sometimes it doesn’t matter how or where an officer positions his/her car.

Comment

Originally posted by Ten Six
      Due to the sensitive nature of your question, you won’t (or shouldn’t) get any detailed responses. Suffice it to say traffic stop procedures do address this issue. Every stop is different and every stop entails some degree of accidental and felonious assault. Sometimes it doesn’t matter how or where an officer positions his/her car.
      Thank you sir, I was not sure in how to right it, Do you know what I am talking about though ?

Comment

Originally posted by Artic_storm
        Thank you sir, I was not sure in how to right it, Do you know what I am talking about though ?
        Yep, I know exactly what you mean but a public forum isn’t the place to discuss safety tactics. I see you are a firefighter. I’m sure a local officer would be happy to discuss it with you.

Comment

Yep, I know exactly what you mean but a public forum isn’t the place to discuss safety tactics. I see you are a firefighter. I’m sure a local officer would be happy to discuss it with you.

Thanks I will look into that. I am trying to get on a Dept right now and I will ask them what they do.

Thanks again

Comment

Plus we can't always control how the driver positions his car.

Ever notice how obvious it is when you stop a police officer?
            My posts are sometimes educated, sometimes informed, and sometimes blowing smoke...but they are mine and mine alone and do not reflect on anyone else (especially my employer).

Comment

Due to the sensitive nature of your question, you won’t (or shouldn’t) get any detailed responses.
              No offense but how is where we park our cars so we don't get run over sensitive in nature? Everyone can see us on the side of the road so hows it secrecrtive? I think officers get too much into thsi world of secrecrecy over silly things. I understand we dont' want to write WHY we park or do things in certain ways but simply answering if parking in style X is safer for not getting hit by a drunk than Y can't possibly hurt anything. I park about 3 feet out straight on ot the car in front of me. I don't angle it or anything like that because if my car gets hit I wnat the full weight of my car taking the brunt of the impact not a corner of the car.
              "When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power ... like God must feel when he's holding a gun. " Homer Simpson

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rohan
                No offense but how is where we park our cars so we don't get run over sensitive in nature? Everyone can see us on the side of the road so hows it secrecrtive? I think officers get too much into thsi world of secrecrecy over silly things. I understand we dont' want to write WHY we park or do things in certain ways but simply answering if parking in style X is safer for not getting hit by a drunk than Y can't possibly hurt anything. I park about 3 feet out straight on ot the car in front of me. I don't angle it or anything like that because if my car gets hit I wnat the full weight of my car taking the brunt of the impact not a corner of the car.
                I just don't think its a good idea. There are too many trolls lurking about. The person asking the question might be ok but not everybody reading this is.

Comment

Arcticstorm .. one of the things we have to take into account is not only our safety, but the safety of the motoring public. If we park our car 4 feet to the left of the car we pulled over, and that car is a foot off the white line, our car is partially blocking the far right lane of traffic, thus creating a hazard to motorists. It all boils down to the fact that our job is inherantly dangerous, no matter how much we try to overcome the circumstances.

Here in NC, we have a state law that helps us as Law Enforcement out somewhat. It's the move over or reduce speed law, and in general it requires drivers to move to the left or reduce speed when approaching a stopped emergency vehicle. So if you'r driving in NC, and you come upon a stopped emergency vehicle ( with lights activated ) on the side of the highway, you are required by law to move over a lane, or slow your vehicle to a reduced speed.
                  Last edited by WoodyTCSO; 02-06-2007, 09:55 AM.
                  No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. GEN. George S. Patton

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.
                  Gen George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by WoodyTCSO
                    Arcticstorm .. one of the things we have to take into account is not only our safety, but the safety of the motoring public. If we park our car 4 feet to the left of the car we pulled over, and that car is a foot off the white line, our car is partially blocking the far right lane of traffic, thus creating a hazard to motorists. It all boils down to the fact that our job is inherantly dangerous, no matter how much we try to overcome the circumstances.

Here in NC, we have a state law that helps us as Law Enforcement out somewhat. It's the move over or reduce speed law, and in general it requires drivers to move to the left or reduce speed when approaching a stopped emergency vehicle. So if you'r driving in NC, and you come upon a stopped emergency vehicle ( with lights activated ) on the side of the highway, you are required by law to move over a lane, or slow your vehicle to a reduced speed.
                    Thanks yes here in WI we have that too, It just got passed. I am a firefighter, I know how stupid people can be when you are going code. Thanks for all the help guys

I was not trying to judge you, it was just a thought

Comment

With the typical HUA driver, the way they hit the fully lit fire rigs regularly, the police cars are just a smaller target, but there are more of them. And at 50 MPH +, they can take out the officers' car and the officer on the side of the road.

HUA = Head Up A__
                      "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                      John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2285 users online. 138 members and 2147 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X