300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cops Always Irritated?

Just thought of something and wanted all of your opinions...Why are so many cops always look like they're in a bad mood? Do most regret their job decision and hate it that much? Im still interested in this career but I don't want to be a grumpy sore a** by the time I'm 30. Thanks for opinions.

I get asked all the time why I look so mad. I'm generally in a great mood, but it does tick me off when some chump tells me I should smile. When I'm on the job I'm all business. I generally don't joke around with the public. Some officers do, but it doesn't work for me. I think that the public confuses the vigilance and concentration that most officers show for being mad. You have to remember that most of the time cops are actively seeking out criminal activity and trying to be aware of their surroundings.

Comment

Originally posted by dui9402
      I get asked all the time why I look so mad. I'm generally in a great mood, but it does tick me off when some chump tells me I should smile. When I'm on the job I'm all business. I generally don't joke around with the public. Some officers do, but it doesn't work for me. I think that the public confuses the vigilance and concentration that most officers show for being mad. You have to remember that most of the time cops are actively seeking out criminal activity and trying to be aware of their surroundings.
      I agree!

We are always under the scrunity of the public. We always therefore have to be professional...because you never know who is watching..but you can bet someone IS..

With that...how would it look if we were "joking and smoking" at the scene of a fatal crash? The headlines would read: "COPS laughing at dead motorist"!! details and video on the 11pm news.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I just hate people

I often look grumpy because I often am. Fact is I just don't like people. There I am mindin my own business, singin' along with the radio and some mope who can't run his own life thinks he can just call and inturupt my day. It is soo irritating. Why can't these people just let me be so I can pick on minor traffic offenders rather than go after the "real criminals." Then when I get bored with that mabee I will go down to the hood and hassle people so that goofy white kids with baggy pants can call me a racist "hater."
        War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
        John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

Comment

...because apparently my red and blue flashing lights and the 250 lb guy I have handcuffed on the ground and police tape aren't enough for Bob-the-motorist to guess that now is not a good time to walk into my sene/ pull up behind me on my traffic stop/ stop in the middle of the road and ask me for directions.

Sigh. That is truly my biggest pet peeve. Besides that dul9402 pretty much got it on the nose.

Comment

If you're looking for a smile, go talk to Ronald McDonald. If your family has an emergency, do you want the officer who responds to have a serious demeanor, or act like a giggling teenage girl?

Comment

I smile all the time when I am at home with my son. At work I smile when I pinch someone for dui.
              Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Its quite simple really..a good portion of the people that we come across on a day to day basis at work should clean themselves from the gene pool...period. They all lie straight to your face and would punch you in the back of the head at first avail. opportunity, so why should I be bothered pretending to be their mate? I'm not irritated, I just cannot be bothered anymore, hence, most police members move in police circles in a social environment.

Anyway..keep smilin!

Comment

Grumpy?

I agree,when I'm working, I'm as serious as a heart attack. However, on the rare occassion when I do joke with a member of the public, I'm still looking for the cretin who is determined to spoil not only my day, but everyone elses as well. When it all comes down to it, there are three types of people in the world, COPS, those who hate COPS, and those who are out to get something for themselves from COPS. I know there are the extremely rare exceptions to this rule, but they are just that, RARE.

Stay upright, Stay safe,

Terry

Comment

Maybe it has something to do with your presence!
                    Anyone who believes "the customer is always right" has never been a police officer.

Comment

Originally posted by Freeze
                      I don't want to be a grumpy sore a** by the time I'm 30. Thanks for opinions.
                      My screen name says it all!!!
                      "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

We're surrounded by people doing stupid **** all day long and that can be irritating. However, occasionally someone will do something so stupid that I can laugh about it for hours. Those are the people that keep me coming back to work.

Comment

Originally posted by holfo000
                          Fact is I just don't like people.
                          Then you are in the wrong line of work!

Comment

Except for those incidents where you were required to be less than pleasant, smiling and being polite to the public wasn't difficult. In fact being nice and friendly to most of the public often resulted in obtaining good information about some of the criminal activity in the area.
                            Retired

Comment

Originally posted by BUZ
                              Then you are in the wrong line of work!

Why's that? Does he have to be some people lovin' hippie to do his job? As long as he's proffesional with people and does his job according to the law and department policy, his hatred of people sounds fine to me. Just an opinion.
                              True warriors are fierce because their training is fierce. -Miyamoto Musashi 1645

Lead, follow, or get the out of the way!

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit ......(No one provokes me with impunity)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4469 users online. 263 members and 4206 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X