300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Serve And Protect

Hey guys and gals I was wondering if anyone could tell me the origin of the phrase "TO SERVE AND PROTECT". I am writing a paper on terminology and sayings that police officers use. Now I know what most of you are thinking, cops don't say that phrase. However it is used to describe what we do. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Quallze

"SO OTHERS MAY LIVE"
    You have to go out, but you don't have to come back!!

Coming to a CRACK HOUSE NEAR YOU!!!!!

.............double post..............
    Last edited by Frank Booth; 12-17-2006, 04:27 PM.

Comment

"May the Force be With You," was taken.
      The All New
      BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
      Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
      - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

"Who's dope is this?" Was also taken.
        "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the son's of God."

Comment

Okay, those answers cover "To serve and protect." But, here, from the LAPD website is the answer regarding the slogan "To protect and to serve"

------------------------------

In 1955, a contest was announced in the Los Angeles Police Department's internal magazine, BEAT. The contest involved devising a motto for the Los Angeles Police Academy. The motto needed to be something that would succinctly express the ideals to which those who serve as Los Angeles Police Officers are dedicated.

The winning entry, "to protect and to serve", was submitted by Officer Joseph S. Dorobek and served as the LAPD academy's motto until, by City Council action, it became the official motto of the entire Los Angeles Police Department in 1963. It continues to appear on the Department's patrol cars as a symbol of commitment to service.

"To protect and to serve" has become one of the most recognizable phrases in law enforcement. Throughout its almost 50 years of use, it has come to embody the spirit, dedication, and professionalism of the Officers of the Los Angeles Police Department.

--------------

Nowadays. however, we often add another line..."when we friggin' feel like it!"
          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

I only see officers saying that on COPS. It is pretty corny. My motto is "To arrest and take your silly dirtleg self to jail."
            Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

I don't SERVE anyone !!!!!!!
              "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

To Serve and Protect

Kern County (Calif) Sheriff's Dept had a good one decaled on their patrol units a while back. "We're going to kick your ***".

Comment

My motto was: "You have the right to remain silent,..... just as long as you can stand the pain!"
                  "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                  John Stuart Mill

Comment

Shrek: "You have the right to remain silent...what you are lacking is the capacity."

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal
                      Kern County (Calif) Sheriff's Dept had a good one decaled on their patrol units a while back. "We're going to kick your ***".
                      I believe it was "We will kick your *** and take your donuts too." I will try to find the picture of it for you.
                      Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

Originally posted by quallze
                        To Serve And Protect

Hey guys and gals I was wondering if anyone could tell me the origin of the phrase "TO SERVE AND PROTECT". I am writing a paper on terminology and sayings that police officers use. Now I know what most of you are thinking, cops don't say that phrase. However it is used to describe what we do. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
                        Quallze
                        Only time I recall that slogan was watching "One Adam 12" or some other cop show based on the left coast. I have had people tell me it was my job (ie: "to serve and protect them", even to the point that it includes changing their tire .... which task by the way, is not a duty, but rather is a courtesy I may decide to perform, or not perform, solely at my discretion.).

I just told them they were lost. My job is law enforcement and all that "that" entails. I am not charged with the responsibility to always be there to serve the individual ... or to protect them.

Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 10-28-2006, 10:49 AM.
                        "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

At least one district court in 1981 ruled there is no duty to protect for LE, as they are assuming a duty to the public at large, and not to any one individual. As of 1999 Census Bureau statistics, there was only one officer on duty for every 1,813 citizens, so it is literally IMPOSSIBLE to "protect" them all.
                          This is one of the reasons "protect and serve" is going out of style.
                          You don't serve the general public? Certainly you do, by providing police services, paid for by the tax base, as do I, by providing confinement, custody, and attempted rehabilitation of convicted and incarcerated individuals. Yes, we serve John,and Jane, Q. Public.

Comment

The agency that I worked for in NJ before I came to FL used "Service Above Self."
                            If it wasn't for STUPID PEOPLE I'd be unemployed.

Comment

I prefer...

"GET SOME"
                              The All New
                              BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                              Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                              - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2923 users online. 157 members and 2766 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X