300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crunch time at the end

I keep reading that sometimes an arrest can take several hours to fully process; i.e. paperwork and physically moving the suspect. What happens when you make such an arrest with only an hour or so left on your shift? Do you have to stay a few hours afterwords to finish it up?
    Thanks,
    Bill

Originally posted by sockherman
    I keep reading that sometimes an arrest can take several hours to fully process; i.e. paperwork and physically moving the suspect. What happens when you make such an arrest with only an hour or so left on your shift? Do you have to stay a few hours afterwords to finish it up?
    Thanks,
    Bill
    The arrest isn't complete til all the paperwork is done and turned in......
    Which results in......... OVERTIME
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

You betcha! If it is getting close to quitting time, someone else may do the transport for you. Most important is getting the report done so it can go to the DA in the morning.

We have a great group of individuals, where everyone helps each other out. If someone is "down" a bunch of reports, someone else will answer up to take their call.
      Last edited by deputy x 2; 10-03-2006, 01:14 AM.
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by sockherman
        What happens when you make such an arrest with only an hour or so left on your shift?
        $$Overtime$$, $$Overtime$$, $$Overtime$$.

One of the officers I used to work with was notorious for end of watch arrests. I think he actually had it down to a science. Between his salary and OT for end of watch arrests, bookings, reports and court, he was (according to an expose by the San Francisco Chronicle) the second highest paid employee in state government when he retired.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I call it getting whistle bit!!!No over time for us until after 86 hours a pay period though!!I usually try to get a good set of blinders on when it gets close to shift change.
          FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

i dig the o/t. its just comp time here but i havent been with this department for 4 months yet and already have 98 hours i can take off whenever. keepin them ratholed for better weather.

Comment

a.k.a.- Collars for dollars

Comment

We have overtime, but since we have overlapping hours on each shift (2 groups per shift), the arresting officer will complete his affidavits, etc. And the other guy will transport so the first guy can go home.

Comment

Originally posted by HCSO511
                  i dig the o/t. its just comp time here but i havent been with this department for 4 months yet and already have 98 hours i can take off whenever. keepin them ratholed for better weather.
                  Might seem like a silly question....but....what exactly is comp time?

Comment

Comp time is Compensatory time. Rather that taking the overtime for money in your paycheck, you can take the overtime in "time". You bank hours of overtime which can then be used to take days off with out using holiday credits or vacation time etc. Some agencies will let you cash out your comp time for a nice fat check (especially helpful around the holidays).

Comment

This is not a 9 to 5 job!!!
                      If you make an arrest or get a call near the end of the shift, its yours. Some like it for the OT, some hate it. Of course, one of the officers on the next shift may offer to take over for you if possible...
                      "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

We have "early" and "late" squads for each shift. That way shifts overlap by one hour. If there are several officers on one arrest and some are early and some late, usually the late will take the arrest so "early" can go home. Unless of course you want the OT.

Most of the time "you catch it, you clean it."

I like OT, but most of the time I like going home more. I only take someone at the end of shift if it's really necessary.
                        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7738 users online. 445 members and 7293 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X