300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMV Lookup

I was hoping that someone would know the answer to my question which is, if you go to the DMV and ask for the listing of a car and you have a name can you find out where it is located (Like where there person lives)?

Or is that just something that happens in movies?

Originally posted by Tomtheman70
    I was hoping that someone would know the answer to my question which is, if you go to the DMV and ask for the listing of a car and you have a name can you find out where it is located (Like where there person lives)?

I hope not. Not sure though. If I need to locate an individual I just run a check through the computer in my squad car. It only works for Illinois which is the location of my department. We have two different ways of looking up information through the computer. Not guaranteed the information is correct. Alot of times people will move and not update the secretary of state or they will just provide a bogus address.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Here in CA, it used to be, you could do that. Some elected state official's daughter got a note in the mail from a guy who liked her looks and paid the fee to DMV to get her name/address. That's all it took.

Not all states are like us, however, it varies from state to state.
      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Unless it's changed, in California you go to DMV, pay a fee and fill out a form explaining why you want the info. They then send the form to the car owner in question and ask if they object to releasing the information. If they object, you're pretty much out of luck.

This is known as the Rebecca Schaeffer law. To quote from another website: Schaeffer was an actress who last co-starred with Pam Dawber in My Sister Sam, a CBS sitcom that ran from 1986 to 1988.

Schaeffer was shot and killed by Robert John Bardo, an obsessive fan who stalked her for three years through letters and attempted entry to the My Sister Sam set. He eventually got her home address from a detective agency which obtained her residence information from the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Partly as a result, California laws regarding the release of personal information through the DMV were drastically changed.

In addition, the Federal Driver's Privacy Protection Act of 1994, contained in 18 U.S.C. 2721, requires that each state pass measures to allow individual citizens to shield personal information in their motor vehicle records through so-called "opt out" provisions. Although the law took effect in 1997, legal challenges delayed full implementation until a 2000 ruling by the Supreme Court in favor of the law.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Jesus L-1! You have won the award of the most informed person on this forum based on about every response I have ever seen you write!

Wow, makes me glad your a good guy.
          "Get this and get it straight! Crime is a sucker's road and those who travel it wind up in the gutter, the prison, or the grave. There's no other end. They never learn."

Comment

Originally posted by ejay
            Jesus L-1! You have won the award of the most informed person on this forum based on about every response I have ever seen you write!

Wow, makes me glad your a good guy.
            Thank you, kind Sir! (It just goes to show what happens when you are newly retired and have way too much free time on your hands than is healthy.)

Don't forget to submit your check for $500 for my one time consulting fee. (G)
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

i havent heard in a few years but in oklahoma you could last time i checked. that was 3 or 4 years ago. havent heard about it changing but im sure it will before too long.

Comment

Last I checked here you can get plate and driver status for a fee. Not sure what justification a non-LEO would have to provide, and I don't know if the owner of that info is contacted.

During out IDACS training they stated that release of BMV info to the public is a no-no because the BMV dosent get their cut. (not for security or privacy reasons).
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Movies only. In Georgia and pretty much everywhere else I can think of it is a felony to give out such information to non LEO's. Imagine what a person could do with such information...bad....very bad.
                  "Anyone is capable of anything"

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be".

-Peter Gibbons
                  Office Space

Comment

As you can see, it varies by the state you're talking about.
                    Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

I'm not sure for Colorado. The few times someone has asked me to run a plate for them I always tell them to check with DMV, at least that gets them out of my hair.

Comment

In AZ, you had better be a LEO, if not, it's a no go. I had to talk to several supervisors of a rental car company, to track down a hit and run driver, and it was like pulling teeth - even though I was in uniform and showed up in a fully marked patrol car.
                        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9892 users online. 479 members and 9413 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X