300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC Spray Self Defence Spray

hello everyone. i am a vollie firefighter, but a civilian, hoping to one day become a police officer. i live in a pretty rough part of town. i wouldnt consider where i live "dangerous", but we do have a good bit of viloent crime. i also visit birmingham a good bit to visit my gf at UAB. i am thinking about buying oc spray for self deffence. i was looking at galls.com and was thinking about the "First Defense MK3 Fast Acting Foam" or the "Fisrt Defense MK4 Fast Acting Foam". can a civilian legally purchase and carry this type, or any type of pepper spray for defence? i am also thinking about buying a carrying case for as well, if this is all allowed. just wanted to make sure that this allowed,

Check with your local PD, or look up the state laws.

Or, stop in your local gun shop - around here, OC is sold in gun shops, outdoor shops, auto parts stores, etc.
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

Comment

It is legal in most states, but I can't say for sure in Mississippi. Like Sleuth said, ask at you local PD.

And, a word of advice about pepper foam...it has to be shaken before use and doesn't "fog" around glasses, unlike pepper spray. Pepper foam is usually chosen by people who work in environments where they don't want to risk the cross-contamination of pepper sprays (usually indoor environments like security at hospitals or office buildings). You may want to consider more traditional pepper sprays unless you have a specific reason to use foam. You also have a choice to make in pepper sprays between stream or fogger application. Stream shoots a stream of pepper spray for a longer distance but fogger puts more pepper spray out quicker at a shorter distance (kinda like a fire extinguisher).
      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

also the MK4 will not be sold to you by galls...
        Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

so for a civilian, what would be a good one to buy? i would like something that packs a good punch, but wont overdo it. i looked again and found the Mace® MKVI Personal Size Triple Action Spray. it says its good for civilian use. it has CN tear gas, Oleoresin Capsicum pepper formula and a marking dye. thanks for your answers. you have no idea how much i respect you guys.

Comment

sounds like a good one, dont want to big of one, one for your keys would work, that way u will always have it...
            Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Personally, I'd say stick with something that's straight OC. I've never seen the benefit of the OC/CS/CN combinations. If OC doesn't stop em, the CS or CN won't, either. The "marking dye" probably isn't a big deal, either. Trust me, they'll be "well marked" if you give them a good face-shot of OC.

A self-defense instructor and LEO who I trust always recommended Bodyguard in the fogger. He wouldn't recommend or insult any pepper spray until he was "scenario sprayed" (ie, spray him and let him run at you with a foam bat to see if he could function after being sprayed) with it. He said Bodyguard was the hottest, quickest acting OC he had taken a hit with. He also recommended the fogger because it puts the OC out quickly and in a wider pattern, thus mitigating some of the bad aim associated with using OC during a high-stress encounter. Just don't spray a fogger into the wind...it's a very fine mist that blows back easier than a stream.
              "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
              -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

thanks. i e-mailed my local police department to ask if it is legal in mississippi to carry pepper spray. i also e-mailed birmingham police in alabama, since i visit there a lot. just wondering however, i know they make the small one that fit onto your keychain. but would i be allowed to purchase the type that police use, like the small canister type with the carrying case?? i know that sounds like overkill. the reason i want to carry this is because of an incident that occured about 2 nights ago. me and my gf was at a restaurant in the downtown area. when we left, one of the local drunks, who i have seen before, asked me if i would give him some money. i told him i didnt have any cash on me, which i didnt. he said "that bull s***, u just came out of that restaurant i know u have some." i told him to leave us alone and we started walking to my truck. he was following us and wouldnt stop yelling about how he knew i had some money. finally a cop rode by, and the guy stoped. but i started thinking about what could have happend if the cop didnt come by, and things got worse.

Comment

Sure, you can purchase the 1.5-2oz pepper sprays as a civilian. The only canisters that are usually restricted to LE-only are the big tactical/crowd control "fire extinguishers."
                  -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Foam sucks

I would not go with the foam. I've been sprayed numerous times over the years and the foam just doesn't do the trick. When I worked in the jail, we were issued foam and I sprayed several people with it. At best, it shut off their eyes, but did not stop their aggression. I actually saw one perp wipe the stuff off his face and fling it back at officers.

The only exception to this is aqueous foam, like the Phase IV product. It comes out as a light foam but instantly converts to liquid upon contact. Still not as good as a stream delivery, but better.

Also, I don't recommend the tear gas "blends." Stick with straight OC that has a SHU of around 2,000,000.
                    \

Comment

ok, i have finally decided what kind i am going to get. i am going to buy the Fox Flip-Top Dispenser Mark 3 Cone Fog Defense Spray. it has the spring-loaded protective flip top. it packs a punch too. has a 2% OC formula rated at 5.3 million SHU. its a 2.0 ounce. i am also going to get the Bianchi AccuMold® Mark III Spray Case. thanks for all of the help guys. keep up the good work out there. stay safe. i cant wait untill i am one of you.

Comment

make sure you can carry that size Oc because in Nj civilians can only carry less than 2oz. I Would Also Recommend Counter Assault Oc-10
                        We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

A word of advice. Don't be that guy who wears duty gear (cuff case, oc case, radio holder) in public when you're not a cop. Forget about the holster and put the oc in your pocket. You're not gonna need a very big canister. It's great that you want to be a cop, but don't act like a total wannabe.

Comment

Also, with any "defense spray" be prepared for the guy to not react to it at all. I am not a drug user and not out of my mind, but OC/CS takes a few minutes to work on me. Every time I have been exposed to it (even military concentrations) I still could have beaten someone to death before it took effect. Even then the effects were irritating, not debilitating.
                            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                            8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Word of Advice

Just be sure you are justified in using it or you will be the one getting arrested and also sued!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Code of Virginia) § 18.2-312. Illegal use of tear gas, phosgene and other gases.

If any person maliciously release or cause or procure to be released in any private home, place of business or place of public gathering any tear gas, mustard gas, phosgene gas or other noxious or nauseating gases or mixtures of chemicals designed to, and capable of, producing vile or injurious or nauseating odors or gases, and bodily injury results to any person from such gas or odor, the offending person shall be guilty of a Class 3 felony.

If such act be done unlawfully, but not maliciously, the offending person shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony.

Nothing herein contained shall prevent the use of tear gas or other gases by police officers or other peace officers in the proper performance of their duties, or by any person or persons in the protection of person, life or property.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-70; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15.)
                              "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2566 users online. 139 members and 2427 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X