300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shifts for women

Does the fact that a woman may be raising her child alone have any effect on what shift they put her on? Also...has every cop worked mid nights at one point in there lives? Thanks to anyone who responds.

Sorry but no. On patrol, shift assignments usually go by seniority. When you are the new cop - you fill in the unmanned spots on a shift. You can ask if there are several openings in different shifts - but I wouldn't count on it. You really are going to have to find a reliable babysitter / relative to help out. And with late arrests, late cases and court - you really are going to have to be flexible. Good luck!

Comment

Oh about working nights - you are going to probably have to work nights sometime during Field Training.. PDs like to see you on training with all the different shifts.

Comment

Nope...In todays age and time, some men ALSO raise their children alone. When you are hired, you know the shifts may vary and that's what you agreed to.

One shouldn't get into this line of work..if you have to throw down a "hardship" to get the primo shifts. Plus that will ONLY work against you with your co workers. All shifts are bidded by senority...so midnights might be a possibility.
        Last edited by deputy x 2; 07-30-2006, 05:46 PM.
        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2
          Nope...In todays age and time, some men ALSO raise their children alone. When you are hired, you know the shifts may vary and that's what you agreed to.

One shouldn't get into this line of work..if you have to throw down a "hardship" to get the primo shifts. Plus that will ONLY work against you with your co workers. All shifts are bidded by senority...so midnights might be a possibility.
          Good post deputyx 2

In addition to the varied hours there are also the weekend and holidays that single parents may miss.

I did two years on the midnight to 8 shift but that was before I was married and had kids. Ironically I voulnteered to take the 12 - 8 AM shift for a guy w/less seniority because of his child care issues.
          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by novachic20
            Does the fact that a woman may be raising her child alone have any effect on what shift they put her on? Also...has every cop worked mid nights at one point in there lives? Thanks to anyone who responds.

If the babydaddy is high enough in rank, they will work with you. Otherwise you are probably out of luck.

Comment

In my PD, shifts (and days off) are bid by senority. I'm sure if a new hire came on board and cut a deal to have a certain shift or days off, it would seriously p!&& off an officer that had more time on the job.

It would be a bad thing for a rookie to do. The general feeling is that you understood the work and hours involved. If you didn't want to work within that framework, you shouldn't have taken the job.

I don't think that's an unfair feeling. Most of our officers are married. Most of them put their personal lives on hold and work the hours and days they draw. It's not fair for a new officer to bump over someone that has five years of working the crappy shifts because that new officer has some special issues. It'd bring down one hell of a union greivance and I don't know too many people that would side with the newbie.

I worked ten years on evenings, most of the time with Tuesdays and Wednesdays off. I missed a lot of family stuff. Had I finally gotten to the point where I could have gotten a different shift and different days off and a new officer sobbed their way into weekends and/or a shift I wanted, that officer would not have been my favorite- to say the least. (I'd probably be attending anger management courses as a result of our encounter).

I'm a Sgt now and as the junior Sgt, I'm stuck on midnights. The day shift Sgt is likely retiring in Jan. If another newly promoted Sgt comes along and steals day shift away from me, that Sgt and I will definitely have problems.

Your personal issues are yours alone. Don't take the job if you can't handle the job. It will and can adversely affect someone else.

Sorry, this is a pretty straight-forward and blunt post, but it's the way things are.
              Last edited by FNA209; 07-30-2006, 07:14 PM.
              "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Do you see the general consensus here??? You agree to take the job AND ALL that goes along. Meaning? Rotating shifts if that is what they do, low pay at first if that is what they pay. I took a $14,000 pay cut to get a different department. I was near the tops in senority at my last gig but here, I will be low for a long time cause its a small dept. I went from a approx. 900 member dept. to a less than 50 man...I have guys with 4-5 years in L.E. telling me what to do and i have almost 12 years. No big deal, its part of the job...
                If ya cant work shifts, go for another department...
                I got nothing for now

Comment

Originally posted by novachic20
                  Shift assignments in my agency are bid for by seniority as well. No preferential treatment is given for officers with children, or those going to school, or those who have secondary employment. Because you know ahead of time that you have unusual family needs, you have plenty of advance notice to make alternative arrangements for their care.

As a side note, one of the minimum qualifications for the job usually is that you are available to work all hours of the day or night as required by the department. If you are unwilling or unable to work some shifts, then you no longer possess the minimum requirements necessary to continue in your employment and may be subject to termination.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Does your State have Marshal/Constable positions? Welfare Fraud investigators? Something that works weekdays, W/E off??
                    Three Stripes beats Four Aces.
                    Retirement: You've Won the War when you're Paid to Stay at Home.

Comment

I hate to tell ya, but if you're expecting to work a good shift under the single parent excuse---forget it! It'll work against you with your peers, & even if you do find a "guardian angel" on the Dept. that'll help you, how do you justify it? I guarantee you're not the only single parent on the PD & others find a solution. It sounds like this job just isn't for you.

Comment

Hemi cop is right.....the powers above might sympathize but your co-workers will resent...... no they will HATE you if get preferential treatment as a single parent. IT will be especially nasty from other female officers who are single parents.
                        You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

there should be no way you should be given preference for having a kid. Not to sound mean, but it's discriminitory. If we give YOU the good shifts then, fellow male officer with 4 kids at home is going to raise hell. Your position is police officer, not male or female police officer.

Good luck.
                          -Stay safe

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop
                            I did two years on the midnight to 8 shift but that was before I was married and had kids. Ironically I voulnteered to take the 12 - 8 AM shift for a guy w/less seniority because of his child care issues.
                            Yeah, I fooled you with the fake car seats for about 2 years, didn't I?
                            Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

An alternative though! (Our shifts are 4 on, 4 off, 12 hours each)

Some of our female members only work part time. They work Day 1, the 2nd woman works Day 2. Then the 1st woman works Night 1, and the second works Night 2.

So half of the pay, half of the work, but lets you enjoy your job but still be at home. If you can afford it, and there's' another member willing to job share, it's good.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7697 users online. 443 members and 7254 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X