300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Juristdictions Same Powers?

Do all police officers in a given state have the same powers even though they are in a different juristdiction? For instance can a cop in Town A run across into Town B and make an arrest if need be? or vice versa? I know the state police can do this... but what about regular city/town officers? Also if your in hot pursuit of a vehicle and he/she crosses town lines can you still pursue or do u have to stop? how about state troopers with state lines, ex. can a NY state Trooper continue to chase a suspect after he has crossed over to Connecticut?

If you are in hot pursuit, you can continue across any jurisdictional boundaries without having to worry about it. I am not sure about everyplace else but down here we have what is called mutual aid. It basically gives us the power to act outside of our juristiction. It is a signed agreement between agencies. Most agencies have them signed county wide.
    In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Originally posted by sflcop
      If you are in hot pursuit, you can continue across any jurisdictional boundaries without having to worry about it. I am not sure about everyplace else but down here we have what is called mutual aid. It basically gives us the power to act outside of our juristiction. It is a signed agreement between agencies. Most agencies have them signed county wide.
      Is this state law or is this just between the agencies themselves? what if you end up in chasing a suspect into a town where there is no mutual aid agreement signed, can you still act as if it were your own jurisdiction?

Comment

Most of the time is agency policy the binds you to a jurisdiction. In Florida for example cops are State Certified but have limited powers depending on where they work. The majority of times local cops have county arrest powers even if they are out of their jurisdiction due to county mutual aid. Hot pursuits are good as long as the crime was committed in the jurisdiction where you work in. Now obviously again b/c of agency policies you just can’t chase anybody for any anything. My agency binds me to forcible felonies only like; strong arm robberies, home invasion, battery on leo etc. So if some knucklehead decides that they don’t want to stop b/c they don’t want a ticket; I have to let him go since no forcible felony has been committed. Of course I can follow at a safe speed in order to get tag and vehicle description and put out a bolo but that’s it.

You could act as leo in forcible felonies outside your county but most agencies may or may not cover you in court. Besides once you cross your county jurisdiction lines you start to get out of radio range.

Comment

The concept of a crook steping across the city limit line and shouting, "King's X, I'm out of your jurisdiction" seemed so absurd that in 1969, the California Legislature amended state law to give all peace officers authority anywhere in the state.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

In VT we have state wide authority, and can chase to NH for felonies or DUI's. I'm not sure about the other surrounding states though.

Comment

Some states give Officers statewide authority AZ, CA and many others. Others, like Washington State and Illinois have authority limited to their jurisdiction.....hot pursuit being the exception. For example a Chicago Police Officer in Urbana Illinois observes a crime and takes action.....legally he is considered an "armed citizen" and can detain for the locals unless his investigation leads him there. Illinois creates what is known as a police district wherein any adjoining jurisdiction has the same jurisdiction as any other entity. Illionos has no CCW so an "Armed Citizen" is really the police anyway.....its semantics
              You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

In NY, violations (traffic, disorderly conduct, trespassing) can only be performed by an officer in their 'geographical area of employment'. A police officer in Yonkers can only write a speeding ticket in Yonkers, but the Westchester County Police can write a speeding ticket anywhere in the county and the NY State Police can issue a violation summons anywhere in the state. Violations are not considered crimes. Misdemeanors and felonies are considered crimes and any officer statewide can arrest anyone for any misdemeanor and/or felony with probable cause. As for hot pursuit, as per Criminal Procedure Law an officer while in close pursuit can continue a pursuit through the home county and the next physical county over, which in southern Westchester can mean the Bronx, Rockland or Fairfield County, CT.

Comment

In Ohio, we are certified by the State of Ohio as Peace Officers. If a citizen can make a felony arrest ...why couldn't we? (being a cop just gives you power to arrest for misdomeanors and a few other perks)

That being said, I am sometimes asked to respond outside of my jurisdiction to assist another agency. When doing so, I have the same jurisdiction as the agency that requested my assistance. Likewise, if I request assistance, responding officers have equal jurisdiction also.
                  An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8626 users online. 393 members and 8233 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X