300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little confused

Hi, I always wanted to be a police officer or a soldier but recently my brother gave me a bb gun since he wasnt using it anymore (M1911) and I realized I dont really love guns and people getting killed. I watched the video of some guys shooting him self in the head and I guess I realized I dont want to be around that. Anyway I still want to be a cop but I just dont wan to see people getting shot or killed. Is there a job where I could still be a cop and not be arround guns? K9 unit maybe?

I dont I wanted to be a cop my hole life and now I realized I dont like guns...kinda sucks but I need to figure thise out before I go back to school since I'm taking criminal justice classes.

Thanks for any feed back...

Jay

P.S: anyone had or has the same problem?

First off no one likes to see people killed. As for K-9 being a "safe" option. Sorry that won't happen. Those guys/gals are usually the first to go into a hostile situation. They are the most proned to be ambushed during a building search for example. As far as not liking guns. Another set back. You have to ask yourself the question, if you hear shots fired while you are responding to say a domestic violence call....Are you going to tuck tail and run or are you going to muster the courage to go in? Only you can really answer the questions that you posted. Being scared is one thing but being a coward will get you and others killed. I am not saying that you are a coward just breaking it down for ya! Good luck whatever you chose!
    "Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared." — Eddie Rickenbacker
    World War I hero

Comment

If you really dislike weapons and the dangers of the job before you've even experienced it, this likely isn't the path you should choose *if* you don't think you can deal with it. You will at some point in your career, deal with an incident either involving a gun from a BG, or yours. Not to say cops are gun toting crazies but you need to be mentally and physically prepared to deal with the worst. I don't think any of us likes to see some of the ugly things but it is the nature of the work at times.

CJ could also be used if you wanted a job in Corrections. Not my cup of tea but to each their own. You could also consider a career in Probation, Parole, Dispatching or depending on how far into your CJ course, consider taking something else that will allow a decent number of credit transfers. Best thing for you to do is talk to someone in your school's admin to see what options are available.

May not be completely off the table but only you can answer why you've wanted to do this your whole life.

Good luck

Comment

Most likely somewhere down the road you are going to have to deal with death, it kinda comes along with the job even in Corrections. Maybe you should go to school and learn a Forensic Science like fingerprinting and work in a crime lab at maybe a state level.
        There are laws to protect the freedom of the press's speech, but none that are worth anything to protect the people from the press.

Mark Twain

Comment

Part of being a cop is carrying and qualifying with a firearm. K-9 officers are cops who are in a specialized unit. And the dog is "part" of their equipment.

If you don't want to be around guns, then this job is not for you. This job has the tendency to be filled with gore. The video of the man in the interrogation room was not as bad as it could have been.

Maybe something toward forensics (medical)...but that is also gore! Dispatching maybe a choice.

Hmm, don't know what to tell ya! Maybe it's still early enough to change your major. With the hesitation you are feeling now..it's probably the best decision.
          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I'm not scared at all and I want to help people. I was scared of hights untill I went sky diving and now my fear is gone. Maybe if I shot a real gun into a target the fear might go away or maybe if the local cops could take me for a ride one day. Maybe I dont fear the gun it self but maybe what it does. My dad was in kosova and he was shot few time and maybe thats why I dont like weapons. I'm gonna go shot some cans with my bro before I start my CJ classes to see if I can deal with my problem or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay473
              I'm not scared at all and I want to help people. Maybe if I shot a real gun into a target the fear might go away or maybe if the local cops could take me for a ride one day. Maybe I dont fear the gun it self but maybe what it does.
              A ride along might expose you to our everyday dealings.

Guns injure and most importantly kill. Cops don't shoot to injure. In a split second decision, Are you WILLING to shoot a person to defend others and more importantly yourself? If you hesitate, you may end up dead.

And if you're not sure.....I'm SURE I wouldn't want you as a brother.
              This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Shooting is not the problem. I would shoot the protect others or myself but my problem would be dealing with it. How do you live with knowing you took someone else life? That might be my biggest problem...could I handle it?

Comment

Shooting is not the problem. I would shoot the protect others or myself but my problem would be dealing with it. How do you live with knowing you took someone else life? That might be my biggest problem...could I handle it?
                  When the time comes (inevitable this day and age) you will be debriefed and counseled.

No one really knows HOW they would react until they are wearing the shoes.

Comment

Agree on that. I will try to get a ride along with the local officers. Not sure if they alow that but it would help me out greatly. Thanks for the help....

Comment

Jay, IMO, before you even invest your hard earned money in CJ classes, go on a ride-along, famiiliarize yourself (with a certified NRA instructor) with a small caliber gun first THEN ask yourself if you can do the job. Police work is stressful,dirty & all-encompassing job wherte many times you'll meet the absolute lowest level of humanity. NO ONE LIKES TO SHOOT PEOPLE! And you'll be exposed to injured/dead people regularly. I think maybe you're imagining waaaaay too much actual physical violence in the job than there really is. If you decide this is what you REALLY want, consider volunteering at the PD or SO while in school to familiarize yourself with procedure & to get yourself known.....Good luck!

Comment

Police officers don't WANT to shoot and/or kill anyone in the line of duty. We don't WANT to deal with death, whether it be by natural causes, accident, suicide, or homicide. However, the simple fact of the job is that you WILL deal with death as a police officer. There's a possibility that you WILL have to take the life of another human being to protect yourself or another person.

You have to decide whether or not you can do these things BEFORE you decide to do the job. It's something that all of us who are sworn officers had to consider and make a decision on, and it's not something you want to be deciding when the $#!t hits the fan. Now, until it happens, nobody really knows for sure how they will react or how they will deal with the consequences of their actions in situations like this, but it better be something that you've done some thinking on and believe strongly that you can do.

I agree with the advice you've gotten already...educate yourself about the job and get some first-hand experience through internships or ride alongs. But, remain realistic about your ability to do EVERYTHING that the job entails. On this job, failure to act puts others at risk.
                        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

That is The $64,000 Question for every one of us. I can tell you from personal experience that it's not going to anything like what you expected, and not the same as what someone else experienced, because each one of us is unique and reacts differently. Critical incident intervention services are better now than they were when I experienced my incident in the mid-80s, but they are still imperfect, and in some areas, non-existent.

Your statement about shooting to protect yourself or others is pretty close to the only circumstances where you are allowed to shoot, but you have to be completely resolved in your mind that you will do this without hesitation. There's not much comfort in coming in second place in a gunfight.

If this is a serious concern, I'd suggest looking to another area related to criminal justice that doesn't involve firearms. Corporate loss prevention can offer some excellent careers, and I don't know of any LP folks that carry (doesn't mean that there aren't any, but rather that they're rare). There are also government jobs investigating things like welfare or insurance fraud that have many of the same skill sets as policing, but don't involve firearms. As you mature, you may rethink your view of firearms and decide to go for a more traditional LE job. I saw someone post here the other day that they didn't get their first police position until they were 42, so you've got lots of time.
                          Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

There is a high demand for Insurance Fraud Investigators this is a growing crime, and it cost corperations millions of dollars. If you do decide not to pursue Law Enforcement ( there is no shame in you deciding this is not for you) this is a path you might want to take a close look at.IMO
                            There are laws to protect the freedom of the press's speech, but none that are worth anything to protect the people from the press.

Mark Twain

Comment

Little confused

Jay, in your current mindset, law enforcement is probably not for you. That doesn't make you a bad person. I could have never made a living being a musician. Your reluctance to see people injured or killed speaks well for you as a person. Most cops go through a 20-30 year career, and thankfully, never have to use thier firearm. What matters is the ability to do so both physically and mentally, if it's required. As Tim Dees noted, there's not much good coming out second in a gun fight. Not only can your life be at stake, but also that of an innocent citizen, or another Officer. Give all of this plenty of thought, do some ride alongs, go to the range if possible, and do some shooting under safe, controlled circumstances. If, at the end of the day, you decide that law enforcement isn't for you, there is absolutely no dishonor in that choice. Best of luck!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5323 users online. 288 members and 5035 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X