300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• failing b/c of being normal

a guy i know to have been a former LEO walked in today so i asked was he going to get back into LE. he replied i tried with a local dept. and made it all the way through until his psych, than he was failed b/c he was too normal. he was a deputy s. in the south b4 moving to MI.

so can you fail your psych for being too normal?
    sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

ive heard stories like that... sad but true....
    Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God Matthew 5:9

Comment

Originally posted by JMunn
      ive heard stories like that... sad but true....
      Well who knows what the truth is. Many say that once you become a cop passing that test gets harder because you think, act, live as a cop opposed to someone who hasn't. I suspect the reason was because he has a cop. Also why did he leave LE?

TGY
      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

he had to leave the le job because of his wife, she missed her family.

Comment

Most places that I know of will send you to a psychologist if you fail the psych test. They say that cops and military personnel usually don't pass because their minds have been changed by the experiences. Who knows.
          Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the sons of God. - Matthew 5:9

Comment

Originally posted by eman2k5
            so can you fail your psych for being too normal?
            "Normal" is a highly relative term. What is normal for me is probably not so for you, and yet we could both be psychologically healthy. The psych tests don't just look for evidence of pathology (mental illness). They mainly provide a profile of personality traits. These personality scales have all sorts of names, depending on which test you're discussing, and even in which context a test is used. Some examples might be masculine/feminine, introvert/extrovert, honesty, resistence to stress, thrill-seeking behavior, etc. These tests are "normed" for law enforcement by administering them to either experienced officers who have been successful in the field, or to populations at large, some of whom become law enforcement officers. The idea is to get a range of personality scales that profile a typical successful officer. The ideal candidate will have scores that place him or her right in the middle of each of those scales. Few people are like that, so there is an acceptable range for each scale. Each agency is free to set their own standards on how much variation they will accept from the standard cop profile before they reject an applicant on the psych test. They can also send gray-area candidates to talk to a psychologist, or they may send everyone, just as a backup. But I think any psychologist would reject the notion that there exists a test result of "normal" across the board.
            Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

The psych just shows if you are good for that department at that time. Each department is different. Each type of agency (HP vs SO vs PD vs Fed) is going to have a different profile.

Keep trying - hell get on somewhere.
              The All New
              BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
              Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
              - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

but what if the person was a current officer, will he have a better chance? does the LEO have to retake all the test?

Comment

Perhaps the hiring agency didn't explain themselves fully or maybe your friend is confusing "normal" with "mediocre".

Did he show some passion, vigor and drive for wanting to work for this new agency in particular while being interviewed? If he was turned down based on the written portion of the Pysch, did they see a pattern of someone who was a take-charge person with a positive attitude and potential or did they see someone who just goes with the flow. Most "normal" people go with the flow.

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy
                    Many say that once you become a cop passing that test gets harder because you think, act, live as a cop opposed to someone who hasn't.
                    TGY
                    This is something I've noticed, and commented upon, for years. I believe there is somthing about being a cop that makes you unsuitable for the job. I've seen lots of good, decent cops get shot down for another agency (mine) on a psych exam.
                    You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by So Fla Cop
                      Did he say he would rather be a plumbler than a florist?
                      Actually, that one's pretty obvious. The onee I personally enjoyed were:

Would you rather be a lion tamer or hunt tigers?
                      Do you ever talk to your dog?
                      Is your feces ever odd looking?
                      WOuld you rather live and die or exist forever?

And a THOUSAND MORE just like it
                      The All New
                      BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                      Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                      - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

we had stuff like

i think i might like the work of a libriarian

people are out to get me

i love my mom, or if shes dead, i loved my mom

some crazy stuff... i dont know wat they get out of the first Q posted but must be somethin...
                        Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God Matthew 5:9

Comment

I think that the guy's problem may be that when he took the test, there were no answers that could indicate even a slight personality flaw. I think we all have minor personality flaws, and when none show up on the test, it appears that the person is manipulating the test -- therefore, they will not be considered for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by chaser266
                            I think that the guy's problem may be that when he took the test, there were no answers that could indicate even a slight personality flaw. I think we all have minor personality flaws, and when none show up on the test, it appears that the person is manipulating the test -- therefore, they will not be considered for the job.
                            ***NOT A LEO, but have an MS in Psychology and am trained in administering the MMPI and other clinical assessments***

In reality, what Chaser266 posted shouldn't be happening. The MMPI has a set of "lie scales" and "validity scales" built into it, which tell the clinician the likelihood and degree to which someone is lying on the test. It basically tells things such as faking bad, faking good, faking all over the place, etc. The way that it arrives at this conclusion is pretty complex and it would be nearly impossible for someone to fool this unless they had pretty extensive training in how the test works. So if someone was manipulating the test, the test would tell you that, regardless of how "crazy" or "normal" their actual answers were.

I'm really not sure what the deal is with your friend, Eman2k5. There's probably more to the story and it's hard to know without seeing the actual report done by the person who administered the test. It really isn't a pass/fail type thing. Perhaps his test profile was very "normal", but his lie scales indicated that he was being deceptive. Who knows. Best bet for him would be to try for a different department, I guess. And for other people to not worry about appearing "too normal" on the psych tests. An attempt to artifically appear otherwise could do more harm than good.

Hope this helps some.

Comment

...........edit.............
                              Last edited by ; 12-03-2006, 05:06 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4639 users online. 264 members and 4375 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X