300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My trouble with the law..please help!

Ok to start off I am 19 year old sophmore in college. I recieved a phone call tonight from my dean telling me that a CHP lieutenant needed to talk to me about a criminal investigation about me. The accusation is that a month ago i was witnessed performing a "reckless" manuver in my car which the officer considered reckless driving. He was off duty and at his house when this occured. My question is can the officer file charges against me for an action that was witnessed by him while he was off duty a month ago? My dean (a former cop) said the statute of limitations for a misdimenor is one year and that i could be arrested by the officer anytime at his discretion. Any advice would be great because i dont want to go to jail over a reckless driving charge that happened a month ago.

Short answer, yes everything the dean told you is true.

Police officers have full powers off-duty; he could have arrested you at the time of the incident. I would suggest you meet with the officer and hear what he has to say. I am guessing they are just trying to make you sweat a little bit, chew you out, and hope you learn a lesson. If you dick around, the officer would be within his authority to actually file the charge.

Comment

Last edited by GotYour1040; 01-04-2014, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sktr007
        Ok to start off I am 19 year old sophmore in college. I recieved a phone call tonight from my dean telling me that a CHP lieutenant needed to talk to me about a criminal investigation about me. The accusation is that a month ago i was witnessed performing a "reckless" manuver in my car which the officer considered reckless driving. He was off duty and at his house when this occured. My question is can the officer file charges against me for an action that was witnessed by him while he was off duty a month ago? My dean (a former cop) said the statute of limitations for a misdimenor is one year and that i could be arrested by the officer anytime at his discretion. Any advice would be great because i dont want to go to jail over a reckless driving charge that happened a month ago.
        The officer can make application for complaint and have a warrant issued for your arrest, but that is usually reserved for the most egregious cases.

Something here smells a bit.

First, CHP Lieutenants don't handle traffic complaints. Something like this would be handled by a bottom of the food chain Officer. Second, CHP usually handles incidents like this by sending a warning letter to the registered owner of the vehicle.

Methinks you either left something out, or someone is pulling your leg.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I dont think i left anything out. I truthfully cannot recall the incident in which the officer was taking action against. I am meeting with the officer in a few days and am not planning on being a Smart @ss. If i drove recklessly in his eyes then i probably was, so i will apologize. I think the threats of jail and further legal actions were done to make me sweat. I am rather disappointed in my dean because he is the guys friend and on the phone last night he was obviously taking the officers side and trying to intimidate me by threatening me with jail time. One last question. The officer claimed that he saw me personally driving the vehicle. However, he has never seen me before and when he came looking for me last night he asked my roommate and my friend which one of you is Tyler. He obviously didnt know who i was because he would have picked me out of the group. I still do not understand how me could press charges against me because he was of duty, and the incident happened over 2 monthes ago. Thank you again for the responses and i hope the situation doesnt go any further.

Comment

Last edited by GotYour1040; 01-04-2014, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Like I said before I cant recall the incident, so i will be sceptical until he describes what he observed me doing. I am not trying to avoid the responisibilty, but there are other factors that cannot be explained on a forum. I hate that I have to kiss the guys *** in order to not get arrested or charged. Which is exactly what the officer told my dean I would have to do. I can understand if the officer wanted to file the complaint that day or even that week, but not two monthes later, conveniently after I had a run in with his friend at the fire department.

Comment

The accusation is that a month ago i was witnessed performing a "reckless" manuver
                the incident happened over 2 monthes ago.
                but not two monthes later, conveniently after I had a run in with his friend at the fire department.
                Sniff Sniff. Anybody else smell that???

Look. You came here to ask us a question which was fine. But quit giving us excuses because we don't care. Either you take our advice or you don't. You decide.

Oh yeah, and if you want to say you're telling us the truth, then tell us the truth. Dont change your story then start tacking things on. Good luck.
                It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Oh and one more question. Was this your CVPI that he saw you in?
                  It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

I am not trying to change the story at all. The Dean said he didnt know the time frame and that it could have been 5 days or 3 months ago. However the location in which the incident occured was near my friends house which havnt been to in over 2 months. Actually it was my crown victoria, non-police package LX sport.

Comment

What happened to the car from THIS THREAD? Didn't even last you a year?

Comment

Sold that to my friend Chris because the intake manifold exploaded. BTW, thats some great police work. Anything else you wanna accuse me of besides being a liar?

Comment

BTW, thats some great police work.
                          Yeah your right! I should show my boss that I can use an internet forum search engine! I bet I'll get a raise!!! I am awesome!

Anything else you wanna accuse me of besides being a liar?
                          Well since you asked, and since you are now on your SECOND crown vic in one year (out of all cars in the world to buy) I guess I'll accuse you of being a.....ahhh nevermind.

Comment

If you would like i could call your boss and recommend a promotion. And i loved my old crown vic and my new one is even better, hence I will keep buying them.

Comment

I'm curious and have a question for you sktr007. You mentioned that you were an "aspiring cop." Do you believe someone might have mistakenly felt you were harrassing them with your "cop car?"

BTW, I'm not a uniformed police officer, so I cannot answer your question other than to ask you a question which might perhaps bring something new to the table for you to think about.
                              Last edited by theugly; 05-04-2006, 06:04 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7835 users online. 448 members and 7387 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X