NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you encountered any issues with illegal immigrants?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you encountered any issues with illegal immigrants?

Is it a major issue facing departments or is it overhyped?

What are illegal immigrants? It is definitely not "over hyped" one bit. I arrest them all the time, usually for driving without a license which is actually a waste of my time. The liberal judge they usually face thinks it's unconstitutional to charge them for driving without a license if they have a Mexican DL. At least I get their car towed.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

I work in a small department Pop. 3800/Sworn Officers 7. The 3800 is only the people that are not migrant works or temporary population as some of them are referred to. Temporary population being people of any race that live in our hotel/motels for 6 months while they work here and then move on. However, we have a large tomato plant, potato plant, and livestock management plant in the area. At busy times of the year our population will be 4500 to 5000 people. I would say that anywhere from 750 to 1750 are illegal immigrants. We have a times detained as many as 10 illegals and have been told to let them go by Immigration because it's not worth their effort to come for less than 12. Strangly enough as of late we have been encountering illegals with prison ink on them that appears to be american corrections in orgin. I'm not tat expert however. The majority of our illegal made arrests include controlled substances, violence, weapons and crimes of moral turpitude.

So in my opinion is there a problem? Umm yep.
      Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
      I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
      Originally posted by weinerdog2000
      as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

The biggest problem I have with illegal immigrants is one that was recently created by OUR legislators: It is now impossible for them to obtain licenses and state issued identification.

Due to this crackdown, illegal immigrants are now forced to live anonymously in our country, or leave. (Obviously leaving is not an attractive option for many.) Now, when a police officer confronts an illegal alien, it is difficult to verify his identity. It is easy for him to change his identity. It is easy for him to claim a false address.

Also, since the illegal immigrants can't get licenses, they can not obtain insurance coverage. Obviously, many will continue to drive. So, in essence, our legislators have just dumped millions of uninsured motorists on our highways by passing this legislation.

In my agency, we are very short on manpower on the street. Officers very frequently deal with unlicensed illegal immigrants behind the wheel. Every time we arrest them (because of lack of proof of identity and residence) instead of releasing them on a summons, the other officers on the squad have to pick up the slack. The safety of the other officers is compromised because fewer backups are available. And all because the federal government has pushed immigration enforcement responsibilities to the state level (DMV.) It would be nice if the DMV went back to issuing licenses based on one's ability to drive, rather than their immigration status.

Comment

Man, I'm gonna' be all over the map on this one, but here goes...

250,000+ people tucked nicely into less than eight square miles...that's my area of the City. The overwhelming majority are Mexican and Central American illegal immigrants, I'm sure among the Korean, Armenian, and Filipino quarters, there's illegals among them, as well. We often play a game as we drive through town, it's called, Find the American! I'm so sorry to see that Chaser266, and others, have bought into the "if they had licenses, we wouldn't waste so much time on them" argument.

I worked in a restaurant for four years before becoming a cop. Most all my male counterparts were illegals. I get the argument that they are here for a better life, to make money to support their families, etc. I saw it and believed it. Back then, the people I worked with wanted to be Americans. Today's crowd, for the most part, only wants what the U.S. has to offer them while they retain their culture and their language and ignore our rules and speak no English. You may not be aware, but some Koreans and Chinese are foregoing English and going straight to Spanish, as their second language. In L.A. area schools over 100 other languages are spoken, there, to ESL students. Is there any other state in the union which is prepared to provide ESL education on that level?

But it has grown way beyond that stage, here, at least in CA. Now some are here to sell dope, beat their wives and kids, innapropriately touch their daughters, break into or steal cars, pack guns, run in gangs, and shoot at each other....beacuse back in Mexico or El Salvador they imprison you in places that make Pelican Bay look like Club Med, or they kill you and your family for the sake of public order.

The focus of these local protest groups, which include Mayor Villaraigosa and Cardinal Mahoney, seems to be only on Mexicans...that focus is so limited. In L.A. we have the largest voting block of registered Mexican absentee voters - Mexican politicians campaign here for their votes! We also have the largest absentee voting block outside of El Salvador. America has about 100K illegal Irish, too, even they have lobbying groups on Capitol Hill trying the get them all amnesty. I'm sure in West Hollywood, there are illegal Russians.

IT IS NOT RACISM, for goodness sake, It's about legal vs. illegal immigration. But it's easier to call critics of the illegals racists, so we can be quickly dismissed as bad people, with evil in our hearts. We're mean-spirited, so says the Cardinal, and if a Cardinal says it, it must be true, right?

50-75% of our arrests for high grade misdemeanors and felonies are illegal aliens. Not having a license is mildly interesting... I'm hoping that on May 1st, when they are supposed to stage their massive boycott, that they boycott the freeways, the hospital emergency rooms, and the jails whch they overcrowd, constantly.

Chaser, and pals...if something isn't done about the problem of unrestricted illegal immigration nationwide...their not having licenses will be the least of your concerns as well. I envy you, your small annoyances. I wish they were mine.

BTW, just so you know, I'm not in favor of making 12 million people felons. The system would not be able to handle the workload. The ideal situation is where we assist Mexico, El Salvador, Guatamala, et al, in becoming places worthy of the hard-working people who have fled them for our land. The problem is, that along with the hard-workers, they brought their lazy, no good, sons, brothers, and cousins with them, the ones who routinely broke the law back home, and knew that American cops would never shake them down for money, or beat/kill them without possibility of facing any penalty.
          Last edited by Kieth M.; 04-26-2006, 01:50 AM.
          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M.
            250,000 people tucked nicely into less than eight square miles...that's my area of the City. The overwhelming majority are Mexican and Central American illegal immigrants, I'm sure among the Korean, Armenian, and Filipino quarters, there's a few illegals among them. We often play a game as we drive through town, it's called, Find the American! I'm so sorry to see Chaser266, and others, have bought into the "if they had licenses, we wouldn't waste so much time on them" argument.

I worked in a restaurant for four years before becoming a cop. Most all my male counterparts were illegals. I get the argument that they are here for a better life, to make money to support their families, etc. I saw it and belived it.

But it has grown way beyond that stage, here, at least in CA. Now some are here to sell dope, beat their wives and kids, break in to or steal cars, pack guns, run in gangs, and shoot at each other....beacuse back in Mexico or El Salvador they imprison you in places that make Pelican Bay look llike Club Med, or they kill you and your family for the sake of public order.

75-90% of our arrests for high grade misdemeanors and felonies are illegal aliens. Not having a license is mildly interesting... I'm hoping that on may 1st, when they are supposed to stage their massive boycott, that they boycott the freeways, the hospital emergency rooms, and the jails whch they overcrowd, constantly.

If something isn't done about them...not having licenses will be the least of your concerns as well.
            Thanks for bringing that up, Keith. But let me be clear: I'm not saying that nothing should be done about the situation.

I think that we need to do something to solve the immigration problem, and that starts with securing the borders. If we don't secure the borders, all other efforts will be a waste of time.

I don't think that our immigration system has anywhere near the capacity to deport 10-20 million immigrants. And I'm not interested in paying the taxes associated with deporting that many people, not to mention the loss of labor force. In other words, I support a guest worker program, in conjunction with increased enforcement (both internally and at the border.)

My agency has a problem with immigrants involved in gang activity, and some immigrants just get drunk/high and commit crimes. We already have laws on the books to deal with those situations -- I don't advocate kicking ALL illegal immigrants out of the country simply because SOME of them are criminals. I am in favor of deporting criminal/gangster immigrants, and sometimes ICE is willing to make that happen -- but far too infrequently.

And in defense of my reply, the question was in regard to immigration being a major issue facing departments. In my jurisdiction, if a few officers make cusodial arrests for minor offenses (such as an illegal driving w/o license,) they can anticipate being unavailable for 2 hours. And if I remain on the street handling calls for service, I can anticipate working most incidents alone, and waiting 30+ minutes for backup, if I need it. So, the short answer is, yes, due to the license issue, illegal immigration is a major problem at my department.
            Last edited by chaser266; 04-26-2006, 01:39 AM.

Comment

In Virginia the INS will not pick up the illegals unless there are more than 20 in one place. They do not waste their time with one.

Comment

Originally posted by theugly
                Is it a major issue facing departments or is it overhyped?
                They get drunk, drive and cause many wrecks and smile while doing it. The funny thing is that with all the talk about this problem, people still don't get it. The other day, a woman, a citizen whose vehicle was struck by a drunk Mexican says, 'can I see his insurance card'. She asks this while we are looking at the guys 25 year old car with wires hanging from the dash and the headliner hanging down to the cars headrests.
                The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

" I am in favor of deporting criminal/gangster immigrants, and sometimes ICE is willing to make that happen -- but far too infrequently"

doin it all the time its just that theres not enough manpower yet...also remember that just cause it doesnt APPEAR to be happening in ur town/city, doesnt mean its not happening.... have u ever come into contact with an ICE agent where u work?..ask 'em whats goin on there...i run into alot a cops who dont know about ICE and when i tell 'em what we do, they think its great

Comment

As most of you guys know I am in a Katrina area,You want to talk about illegals????This community is so tight knit that when I married into it 4 years ago I might as well have been illegal(some are still questioning it) and I am about as American as can be ,and now we have an influx of illegals and it is driving the local populace nuts!as well as us since we get zero assistance from ICE or INS due to them being overloaded in N.O..But to play the devils advocate,this area would be a lot further behind in rebuilding without them,and I personally hired a roofer who had a crew of 10 Mexicans that came to my house at 1300 to reroof it (including a section that had to be replaced due to an errant tree)and by 1730 they were finished ,and the work was excellent.So asin any case there are pros and cons and I can see where the southern Calif.,Texas etc have it way worse,this one is going to be a tough row to hoe.
                    Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

last night when i got off work, we had 4 in our hold cell's,

venezuala
                      haitii
                      guatamala
                      jamaica

all in for traffic offenses,.....and no insurance
                      " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                      " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

I got a Mexican guy that is going to spend 4 years in prison for trafficking....and after the 4 years INS is going to deport him. So for 4 years we are going to foot the bill on this guy only to deport him at the end. Insanity.
                        "We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." - Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead

Comment

Do you mean the 'wets' who shoot at Border Patrol? Or the ones who brought down a helo with rocks, and tried to kill the pilot? Or those who smuggle heroin, cocaine, and the ever popular marijuana? Or those who bring in unsafe food for sale? Or the ones with TB or AIDS?

So, why should we think of illegal entry as a problem? They are ALL just here to better themselves, right?
                          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                          John Stuart Mill

Comment

The only time I have seen ICE come out was for illegal immigrants that are arrested for violent felonies

Comment

98% of them are drunks. Many of them are gang members. Many of them have decided that sitting on their asses drinking Coronas, smoking cigarettes, being a nuisnace, bringing down the value of their areas, eating chalupas, letting their yards go to crap, driving their el caminos packed out with 40 mexicans, standing on street corners looking for work, waiting in front of convenience stores for someone to come pick them up, driving without a license, ****ing in their front yards, getting into drunken brawls over who gets to pork the house slut that night, and making babies has become boring, so they have resorted to committing crimes.

Send them packing with a swift kick in the rear.

Don't bother with the "they do all the work no one here will do!!" nonsense. I've heard it all before. We managed without them before, we can do it again. I have the utmost respect for the immigrants who waited patiently to get here LEGALLY, bust their balls doing backbreaking work. The ones who come here illegally? Send them, their wifes and girlfriends, and their disgusting little babies packing. Build a wall along the border and authorize deadly force against anyone trying to get in illegally.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2162 users online. 88 members and 2074 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X