300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights on during radar?

Just wondering about something for a while and figured this may be the place to ask. Is it a rumor or law that officers running radar have to have some sort of visible light on so that they aren't entrapping drivers? Does that vary by department, is it total BS, do reflective emblems/decals count if so?

This doesn't sound very likely but I have heard it quite a few times.

THANKS
    Bad Boys, Bad Boys, watcha gonna do!?

Originally posted by kermityo123
    Just wondering about something for a while and figured this may be the place to ask. Is it a rumor or law that officers running radar have to have some sort of visible light on so that they aren't entrapping drivers? Does that vary by department, is it total BS, do reflective emblems/decals count if so?

THANKS
    Total BS.....
    You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.

sigpic

Comment

THANKS

In your area,it is totally true.If you don't see no light,THERE IS NO OFFICER RUNNING RADAR!!Just go a head and speed through the area.

Really I have never heard of such a thing.

Kinda reminds me of the old,a police car can only follow a car for 3 blocks before the police car has to turn off or make a stop!!!
      FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigg Dogg
        Kinda reminds me of the old,a police car can only follow a car for 3 blocks before the police car has to turn off or make a stop!!!
        I have not been asked that one in long time.
        You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.

sigpic

Comment

You can put balls of aluminum foil inside your hubcaps too, that will destroy the radar.
          Gotta love urban legends and other BS.
          Extraordinarily Ordinary & Remarkably Unremarkable!

"I bet you have an "Operator" patch on your gear"--CCCSD
          "Everyone has a purpose in life. Some people's purpose is to be the example of what NOT to do..."--tanksoldier

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc
            You can put balls of aluminum foil inside your hubcaps too, that will destroy the radar.
            Gotta love urban legends and other BS.

A dead fish in each hubcap works also. No really.

I had a guy tell that one night when I stopped him. He said I couldn't have got him on radar because he had a dead fish in each of the hubcaps. Up to that point I had been wondering what that horrible smell was.

Oh, BTW, as soon as he said that his buddy in the passenger seat lost it and busted out laughing. Want to guess where the driver got the fish idea?

Comment

Totally bogus. There might be individual departments with policies regarding having running lights on while running radar, but otherwise it's just not true.

By the way, "entrapment" is defined as a representative of the government making a person violate a law that they would not have otherwise violated. Even if it was true, it wouldn't fit the definition of entrapment.

Originally posted by Bigg Dogg
              We have a different version in my area. I was told by a high school kid that I couldn't follow him beyond three left turns. Apparently, right turns didn't count...not sure why. I had great difficulty keeping a straight face on that one. I've now heard it several times, always from high school kids. It's, apparently, a pretty widespread urban legend in my county.
              "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
              -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

My favorite is when you are trying to catch a speeder, he pulls into a driveway, jumps out and locks the doors thinking that because he is out you can't do anything to him!

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh
                  By the way, "entrapment" is defined as a representative of the government making a person violate a law that they would not have otherwise violated. Even if it was true, it wouldn't fit the definition of entrapment.
                  LOL i didn't mean entrapment in the legal sense. I know what it means but couldn't think of another word at the time that fit better. Also, I used it because it was the kind of word the people spreading the rumor would use.
                  Anyway... I thought it was BS and just wanted to verify.

I had heard the one about only being able to follow a vehicle for so long as well, and actually got into an argument with a naive person i worked with about it. He had a billion idiotic "truths" about the police he liked to share.

Thanks a lot guys, appreciate the input!

Comment

Its funny though. I can run with my lights and siren on and still get people speeding on Radar. People generally drive with their eyes 50-75 ft on the roadway ahead of their car.

Yeah that was an untrue statement from your co-worker.

Comment

As long as they are wearing their hat it's ok.
                      "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

That is a new one for me. But I like that one! There are so many in my area that are just funny as hell. I guess the "3 turn rule" is something all over the U.S. I thought it was just my area. I've been told a few times that 'pacing' is illegal because I'm speeding too.
                        It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

THANKS
                          I don't understand. Do you know what entrapment means? It means a police officer, through his action, coherces one into commiting a crime.

How does my lights being on or off coherce you into speeding?
                          You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

I don't want to come off as rude, but I already addressed the use of the word entrapment above. I wish people would read all the previous posts in a thread before replying. That sounds really rude and a**hole-ish, but i don't know how else to say it. Sorry.

Comment

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

No, pal, we're not making you speed, it's not entrapment, and I don't have to have any lights on while i'm running radar.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4630 users online. 232 members and 4398 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X