300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proving your identity

I would like to know from any law enforcement officers out there if they would have handled this situation the same way or differently. On Friday January 13, I went out of state to see my girlfriend. While in her home state that day but prior to arriving in her town, I was pulled over by an officer who said one of my tailights was out. I didn't know this at the time but it was out. He asked to see my license and registration. This is where the problem started.
    I got my registration, but when I went in my wallet to get my license, I could not find it. The officer then told me it was against the law to drive without your license. He asked me for my social security number which I gave him. He repeated it to a dispatcher I guess. He waited and then said there was no record of a drivers license in my state with that social security number. I explained that my license had a drivers license number on it rather than my social security number. He then asked me to give him that number. I could not as I did not remember it. He said that I had no way to prove my identity and he couldn't just let me go with a citation. Moreover, he told me I could not drive my car since I didn't have a license with me. He told me he would have to have my car towed and that I would have to come with him to the station where I could call someone to vouch for my identity.
    He asked me to get out of the car. He then asked me to walk to the rear of the car face the trunk and put my hands on the trunk while spreading my legs. He did a pat down and then said that I was to put my hands on my head. I did as I was told but asked why. He said that he was going to cuff me for the ride to the station. I asked him if this was necessary and he said yes. He then proceeded to cuff me behind my back. He then read me my rights. I asked if I was under arrest and he said yes. I asked for what and he said for driving without a license.
    When we got to the station, I was booked and photographed and fingerprinted. Then I was able to make a phone call where I called my parents and asked them to come and vouch for my identity. They siad they would but it would take them several hours as they had to come from out of state. When the officer realized it would be several hours, he told me that I would have to be transported to the county jail to wait. He then called another officer who was going to take me from the police station to the jail. On this trip I was cuffed in front with a chain around the waist and shackled.
    When I got to the jail I was made to strip and put on a jumpsuit. Then I was put in a cell where I waited until my parents arrived. When they did arrive, I was allowed to put my clothes back on but was told I had to go before a magistarte who would set bond to release me. I was cuffed behind the back again and taken to the magistrates office while my parents followed us there. Once inside, I remained cuffed until the magistrate released me.
    I realize that officers can't be too careful, but is there a better way to handle this? I went to court and paid the fine for driving without the license. I admit I was in the wrong and fully expected to get a ticket. I didn't expect to be arrested. Any opinion would be welcome.

The officer did things by the numbers. His actions were prudent and appropriate.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. It helps to know that everything was done properly.

Comment

The officer did everything by the book
        John D. MacDonald, "The early bird who catches the worm works for someone who comes in late and owns the worm farm."

Comment

I guess I'm missing a few things from your story........ You first said you couldn't find your license in your wallet and then later said you admitted you were wrong and expected a ticket. Can you clarify? Do you have a license and just forgot to carry it with you.....or do you not have a valid driver license and driving? Everything you described sounds legitimate and good officer safety if he was arresting you and taking you to jail. If you do not have any identification on you and a records check based on your statements does not show you have a license then that should make the officer even more alert and he will be wondering who you really are or what you are hiding? People lie to us all the time !!!!

Comment

To clarify, I do indeed have a valid license but it was not in my wallet. My parents found it at home when I called. I had been clearing Christmas receipts out of my wallet and inadvertently took my license out with them.

Comment

Originally posted by bjc91127
              I would like to know from any law enforcement officers out there if they would have handled this situation the same way or differently. On Friday January 13, I went out of state to see my girlfriend. While in her home state that day but prior to arriving in her town, I was pulled over by an officer who said one of my tailights was out. I didn't know this at the time but it was out. He asked to see my license and registration. This is where the problem started.
              I got my registration, but when I went in my wallet to get my license, I could not find it. The officer then told me it was against the law to drive without your license. He asked me for my social security number which I gave him. He repeated it to a dispatcher I guess. He waited and then said there was no record of a drivers license in my state with that social security number. I explained that my license had a drivers license number on it rather than my social security number. He then asked me to give him that number. I could not as I did not remember it. He said that I had no way to prove my identity and he couldn't just let me go with a citation. Moreover, he told me I could not drive my car since I didn't have a license with me. He told me he would have to have my car towed and that I would have to come with him to the station where I could call someone to vouch for my identity.
              He asked me to get out of the car. He then asked me to walk to the rear of the car face the trunk and put my hands on the trunk while spreading my legs. He did a pat down and then said that I was to put my hands on my head. I did as I was told but asked why. He said that he was going to cuff me for the ride to the station. I asked him if this was necessary and he said yes. He then proceeded to cuff me behind my back. He then read me my rights. I asked if I was under arrest and he said yes. I asked for what and he said for driving without a license.
              When we got to the station, I was booked and photographed and fingerprinted. Then I was able to make a phone call where I called my parents and asked them to come and vouch for my identity. They siad they would but it would take them several hours as they had to come from out of state. When the officer realized it would be several hours, he told me that I would have to be transported to the county jail to wait. He then called another officer who was going to take me from the police station to the jail. On this trip I was cuffed in front with a chain around the waist and shackled.
              When I got to the jail I was made to strip and put on a jumpsuit. Then I was put in a cell where I waited until my parents arrived. When they did arrive, I was allowed to put my clothes back on but was told I had to go before a magistarte who would set bond to release me. I was cuffed behind the back again and taken to the magistrates office while my parents followed us there. Once inside, I remained cuffed until the magistrate released me.
              I realize that officers can't be too careful, but is there a better way to handle this? I went to court and paid the fine for driving without the license. I admit I was in the wrong and fully expected to get a ticket. I didn't expect to be arrested. Any opinion would be welcome.
              This is BS. I'm in South Carolina and we can't run DL's by SSN's. It's NAME AND DATE OF BIRTH for any state in the US and Canada.

I call BS!
              "It's okay ma'am...I work for the government and I'm here to help."

Comment

Originally posted by Hey There Chief
                This is BS. I'm in South Carolina and we can't run DL's by SSN's. It's NAME AND DATE OF BIRTH for any state in the US and Canada.

I call BS!
                I think the story is plausible and creditable. In my state we can run DL

Comment

[QUOTE=Tennsix]I think the story is plausible and creditable. In my state we can run DL
                  Stay safe.... or stay home.

Comment

"personally" I would have made more of an attempt to search for ID then simply by using a SSN.
                    Facts are meaningless, they can be used to prove anything.

Stay Safe

Comment

In texas we can run by SSN, and do like alot of the others here said, imho i would have just given him a ticket, which can be dropped if he has his DL, and let him go.... got bigger fish to fry
                      Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

I was thinking SC too as he called the judge a magistrate.

As for asking for a SSN to run a DL check...I've never heard of that. It has always been name and dob, but I'm sure the dispatchers can run by SSN too to verify, though I would not ask for an SSN.

As for getting arrested for driving without a license, the officer did everything by the book.

He/she couldn't verify that you were legally allowed to drive. You couldn't show any ID saying you were able to drive. You got arrested for driving without a license. He was perfectly justified in the eyes of the law.

Why didn't you have your DL with you? I hope you learned a lesson and I'd like to know how your court appearence goes.

Comment

somthing sounds a bit not right, a well versed cop and a well versed
                          dispatcher running a oln thru their state computer and or running thru
                          nlets and nothing can be found.....???

odd things happen, and maybe their was a poltergeist in the computer system, or the officer seen a phantasm.....
                          " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                          " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

I am mildly curious to know why the guy didn't run the plates and match that information to whatever the driver was saying...from there they should have gotten a name and seen if they had any warrants.
                            "We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." - Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead

Comment

Originally posted by KY PO
                              I am mildly curious to know why the guy didn't run the plates and match that information to whatever the driver was saying...from there they should have gotten a name and seen if they had any warrants.
                              True.... But who is to say (without ID) the driver was who he claimed to be.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5560 users online. 337 members and 5223 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X