300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst thing said over a "Hot Mic"

Inadvertent radio transmissions around here are known as "Hot Mics" ie: sitting on the mic by accident or otherwise transmitting unintentionally.

Have you ever had one? What's the worst thing you said? Were there any repercussions?

I'm hoping to hear from dispatchers too since I think they qualify to post as "staff".

Personally my worst was while talking to the Dispatcher next to me. I was referring to a non-LEO and said "Try taking the mic out of your mouth you _________ ________ing ________." (Imagine the worst thing you could possibly say and it was worse than that.)

That one got me a week on the streets

This was right after the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction & Howard Stern getting fined. In my meeting the boss told me even Howard Stern wasn't as bad as me.

The most amusing was one of the Troops a couple of months ago. He was talking to himself while initiating a traffic stop. Something to the effect of " You're passing me you crazy ______ ________. I'm gonna ________ you up, __________"
    "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."
    09/11/2001 Never Forget

xxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by backdraft532; 04-19-2007, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I know of a guy who USED to work for a Bay Area PD who thought he was using the PA to tell a motorist to "pull the F--- OVER! Now!" and actually broadcast over a hot mic. This wasn't his first screw up as an officer, but I believe it was his last, if you know what I mean.
      *Not a cop*

Comment

We get alot of illegal aliens around here. Had a Captain say over primary after a short chase "Well, the trucks' pullin over now and they're bailing out....yup....got Julios runnin everywhere!" I almost wrecked out laughing.
        The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
        Ronald Reagan

Comment

I got a few I love to post here that I've heard but I might get banned.

A good unintentional one I heard was an officer screaming into the mic "I got a 10-10 I need another unit at Oh where the h*** am I"

We also had a guy using the bathroom who apparently was having a difficult time. Think of the "Who does #2 work for" scene from Austin Powers and you'll have an idea what it sounded like. Somebody located where he was and told him. He didn't believe it and continued on with his noise.
          In God we trust, all others are run MILES and NCIC.

Comment

Originally posted by backdraft532
            The most unique convo that i've heard was a female officer sharing her preference of intimate toys with the entire shift (and scanning public). Just shows that you shouldn't try to juggle a cell phone on your shoulder when you wear a shoulder mic for your radio
            LOL .... Before I came "on the other side" we had a R/O that did something like that. She was on the phone with either Victoria's Secret or Fredericks of Hollywood placing an order. She gave out everything including sizes and credit card info over the air before someone called in via landline and told her it was all going "over the air".

What p****d me off over my thing was two other R/Os had Hot Mics talking trash using "F bombs" about our Troops and didn't get so much as a verbal warning.

Puh-lease, when I messed up I was working an accident with roll-over and entrapment and was simply overwhelmed. I didn't have time to deal with non-LEOs who didn't even know how to work a two-way radio.
            "The statements and opinions contained in this communication do not necessarily reflect the official position of the Commission regarding these issues."
            09/11/2001 Never Forget

Comment

We had just switched over from Motorola Visars to HT-1250s, both have lapel mics. The difference being the Visar PTT button is on the front of the mic, and the HT has it on the side (traditional).
              I had just pulled onto the parking lot of our local trouble spot bar. I didn't have time to code out, because a patron ran around the building yelling 'fight'. I ran to the rear of the building, separated the parties and after a brief struggle, had both in handcuffs.
              Dispatch radioed my unit number, inquiring my location and status. Since I had never coded out, I was puzzled, but I told them my location, secure and two in custody. The dispatcher told me to contact her when I cleared the jail.
              I went in and she replayed the dictaphone for me; I heard "Give me your other hand or I'm going to split your f_____g head open."
              I had keyed the mic with my jaw, as I was wrestling with the violator. Fortunately it was 3:00 AM and not everyone in scanner-land (nor my supervisors) heard this traffic.
              “Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Personally heard a chat between unknown officers of an unknown agency on the interagency frequency using the f-bomb as noun, verb and adverb.

Heard a story about an armed robbery with RP on land line giving play-by-play. When the guys took off out the back, the dispatcher keyed up yelling "the mother-f-ckers are running out the back, the mother-f-ckers are running out the back!" The deputy replied "10-4, copy the mother-f-ckers are running out the back."
                Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Well, mine isn't nearly as crude as some of the above but one time my WC couldn't figure out where I was on the streets and he screamed "what the puck, over" on the radio in his thick Phillapeno accent. It was quite funny.
                  "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Years ago my partner & I were talking about a particular dispatcher. He was talking about ALL the things he'd like to do to her in bed, while I "found her so f---ing ugly you couldn't pay me to do her". We argued back & forth about this, cursing & swearing, until the Sgt. somehow found us & laughing, pointed to his car's mic.
                    We just looked at our car's mic & could see the little red light glowing. We didn't get in trouble, but the worst part was the dispatcher that was the topic of conversation was on duty . We later found out everyone in the radio room, even THAT dispatcher had a good laugh over it all. The radio supervisor, however, wasn't impressed. Since then I pretty much ride alone.

Comment

Technically not a "hot mic" since the guy voluntary pressed the button, but I had a county copper tell me about how he keyed up to answer "Code 4" but was talking to a perp while he keyed up, so what was actually transmited was something like this:

"Hey! If I want any **** outta you, I'll squeeze your head... Code 4."
                      You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Years back, before MDT's and this digital radio system that identifies who is transmitting, we were having an extremely busy night. Don't know how he pulled it off, but just as the dispatcher took a break from dispensing call after call, one of the guys put the mic in his lap and broke wind furiously. The dispatcher didn't miss a beat....she said "I'll give that one an eight" and went right on back to throwing out the calls. Classy? Not a bit. But it was funny as hell at the time.
                        Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by rpd1794
                          Years back, before MDT's and this digital radio system that identifies who is transmitting
                          Yeah when we got those all the fun comments ceased and the dispatchers really started feeling like god, allah and david korresh all in one.

Comment

We have an infamous tape of a dispatcher talking to herself on open mic. This was apparently a mic that would get stuck, and she didn't realise it, she kept requesting a response, but because her mic was open, couldn't hear them.

At one point, she says (thinking it's to herself) "don't make me call Paul Sam!"(patrol sgt's ID) Someone finally called in to advise the mic's status.

We also had a female deputy taker her handie-talkie home one night. Well, she must have been showing it to someone, they keyed up on our inquiry frequency saying "code cover!" Then no response to the frantic dispatcher. I got to do a roll call on my radio for that. She was called at home, and admitted to keying up, but not to the nature of the traffic.
                            Last edited by willowdared; 01-18-2006, 06:00 PM.
                            Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

hmm, the best hot mic story, well, a certain lt. was talking to an unknown female *who wasnt an officer* somewhere out on the street. they were discussing their problems, and trying to decide how best to get rid of the rash and the itch!!! this was right after shift change so two shifts heard it, dispatch kept trying to key up and cover him, but it went on forever, finally they called him on his pager, then suddenly there was dead silence,

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3760 users online. 229 members and 3531 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X