Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Highway Patrol Payscale - So Low

http://www.chp.ca.gov/recruiting/html/osalary.html

Base salary for a starting CHP officer is approx $52,302 which includes uniform allowance and PPP pay (physical performance pay).

If you have a two-year college degree (AA or AS), you get an extra $120 a month (total of $1440 a year) which brings the total salary to $53,742.

Why is the CHP payscale so low? Law Enforcement officers (the city cops) make a hell lot more than CHP officers. For example:

Starting San Francisco police officers make approx $64,000 (close to $65K).
    Starting Oakland police officers (Oakland is apporx 45 mins away across the bay from SF) make $65K.

San Jose, Redwood City, etc,, police officers also get paid $65K+.

Why is the CHP payscale so low? California is so expensive, is it because the state doesn't give a **** about its employees?

Please enlighten me.
    May God bless every single public servant out there!

With their take home vehicles you can add about 8000 to their salary.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor60
      http://www.chp.ca.gov/recruiting/html/osalary.html

Base salary for a starting CHP officer is approx $52,302 which includes uniform allowance and PPP pay (physical performance pay).

If you have a two-year college degree (AA or AS), you get an extra $120 a month (total of $1440 a year) which brings the total salary to $53,742.

Why is the CHP payscale so low? Law Enforcement officers (the city cops) make a hell lot more than CHP officers. For example:

Starting San Francisco police officers make approx $64,000 (close to $65K).
      Starting Oakland police officers (Oakland is apporx 45 mins away across the bay from SF) make $65K.

San Jose, Redwood City, etc,, police officers also get paid $65K+.

Why is the CHP payscale so low? California is so expensive, is it because the state doesn't give a **** about its employees?

Please enlighten me.
      Low? Thats about par or a little more than alot of SoCal depts. The bay area cities pay scale is a little higher than SoCal because of the higher housing.

Comment

Ummm- yeah - what Five0 said - that's more then most So Cal agencies start at, and our cost of living is starting to rival the north!
        Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Maybe it's because all they are doing is highway patrol, as opposed to full-service policing.

Comment

Originally posted by SeVere
            With their take home vehicles you can add about 8000 to their salary.
            Umm, I don't think the CHP lets you take home the CVIs... Unless you're a high ranking official I guess...

If you're a CHP officer and you work in the Nor Cal area, it must be kinda hard since it's so expensive to live in Nor Cal.
            May God bless every single public servant out there!

Comment

As a matter of state law, the total CHP compensation package is set at an average of the five largest law enforcement agencies in the state. I don't remember exactly which ones they are but I think they are LAPD, LASO, SFPD, Oakland PD and San Diego PD. The first four pay very well, while San Diego is extremely low, which drops the average considerably.

What makes things confusing is that "compensation package" includes a lot of disguised money that you left out of your calculations. Normally, cops with the CHP retirement plan pay 8% of their salary into the pension system each month. CHP pays this for their officers, so it's like getting 8% more than the figures you quoted. In addition, most agencies give you an unpaid lunch. CHP pays it's officers 1/2 hour overtime each day for their lunch break. This is like getting an additional 6 1/2% more than the figures you quoted. Add this together and pay for a CHP rookie, fresh out of the academy is closer to $60,000 per year. By the way, all of this hidden money is counted as salary for the purpose of computing your retirement.

You also forget that CHP officers can work anywhere in the state and not just the high cost areas. So, a rookie CHP officer assigned to Imperial County makes 167% of what starting sheriff's deputies are paid for working in the same location.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Razor60
                Umm, I don't think the CHP lets you take home the CVIs... Unless you're a high ranking official I guess...

If you're a CHP officer and you work in the Nor Cal area, it must be kinda hard since it's so expensive to live in Nor Cal.
                Wow, that must be the first State Patrol agency that does not have take home vehicles. Sorry for my error.

Comment

Deleted. Double post (see below). Guess I got up too early.
                  Last edited by L-1; 01-10-2006, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Wow, that must be the first State Patrol agency that does not have take home vehicles. Sorry for my error.
                    With almost 7,000 sworn personnel, the cost is just too great. Chp only has around 3,000 vehicles in its fleet.

Comment

I think some officers have take home vehicles though. They have rural officers that live on their beat.
                      Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

There are a number of resident post officers who work in areas so remote that they operate out of their houses and keep their cars there. However, they are few in number (I would guess no more than 50 for the entire state).

At one time, a CHP resident post officer wound up living in Nevada because the area he patrolled in eastern California was so desolate that the nearest suitable housing was in Nevada.

Comment

CHP officers
                          Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

I think they have take home vehicles. Near where I live is a Chippie and his patrol car is often parked overnight in his driveway.

Comment

[QUOTE=nobody33]CHP officers

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4745 users online. 353 members and 4392 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X