300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spouse A Cop???

Many of you officers have a spouse or family member that in the beginning tried to talk you out of being in LE. Many have had to battle with them to explain that it is your dream career and it does not always involve risking your life 24/7 like they show on COPS.

My question to all of you is-Would you be okay with your spouse becoming a cop?

I thought of this and surprised myself a little with my thoughts. I honestly would not want my little 110lb wife battling it out with the bad guys. She doesn't want to be cop so it
    Last edited by NEXTYEAR; 01-04-2006, 11:59 AM.
    "Those who are undisciplined are held back. Those who are disciplined are allowed to go forward."

My wife was one of the first female State Troopers in her (Western) state - she was issued male uniforms and body armor. She was a Fed with another agency when we met (I was a Fed as well). I never feared for her - only for anyone who might try to take her on. She can talk, fight, and shoot. But mostly, she has the inner stregnth to WIN. Here in the West, we call it "grit" or "sand". Whatever you call it, she has it.
    It's individual - not all men have grit either.
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
      It's individual - not all men have grit either.
      You are right. It is based on the individual. So, if you would have met your wife and she was not a fed at the time and decided to get into law enforcement, would it have been the same? Would you take in account if she has grit before supporting her 100 percent or trying to talk her out?

I agree that there are those cut out for the job (have grit) and those who aren't (don't have grit) and it doesn't matter what gender they are. If your spouse did not have grit but for some reason still wanted to the job would your support be the same as it would if she did have grit?
      "Those who are undisciplined are held back. Those who are disciplined are allowed to go forward."

Comment

I believe in equal rights - including the right to fail. If my wife had been a waitress, and she decided to enter law enforcement, I would support her all the way. If you don't, she will always wonder "did HE keep me from what I really want to do".
        That is more likely to end a marrage than if she goes to the academy and fails, or changes her mind after she gets on the street.
        But a woman without 'grit' would not have become my wife!
        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
        John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
          I believe in equal rights - including the right to fail. If my wife had been a waitress, and she decided to enter law enforcement, I would support her all the way. If you don't, she will always wonder "did HE keep me from what I really want to do".
          That is more likely to end a marrage than if she goes to the academy and fails, or changes her mind after she gets on the street.
          But a woman without 'grit' would not have become my wife!

I agree with that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4263 users online. 233 members and 4030 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X