Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 codes

Hello,

In prep for my upcoming academy, I've been busy studying about 5 pages of radio codes in my study guide.

I just noticed that in the table of contents, the 10 codes are listed between 2 pages.(out of 5)

So are the 10 codes a specific set of codes, or are all radio codes considered the '10 codes'?

Thanks

10 codes vary- they are agency specific short hand used for radio traffic

10-4 is probably one that is more commonly used
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

The term "10-codes" is only specific in that codes are ....10-XX, 10-YY.

The term is generally used as a generic term for ALL radio codes. Most departments use 10 codes but not all 10-codes are the same. They vary form department to department or region to region. Many departments also have 11 codes, 11-xx, 11-zz etc. Same concept. Short hand radio traffic.

When you refer to: brevity codes, 10- codes, 11-codes, area specific codes or any type verbal "short hand" term, as "10-codes", you will be understood.

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared
        10 codes vary- they are agency specific short hand used for radio traffic

10-4 is probably one that is more commonly used
        point in case,,, we got jumped out for using "10-4" supposedly it doesnt exsist,, and "we are not truckers dammit, so dont sound like one"

so yes, it definetly varies from agency to agency.

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
          point in case,,, we got jumped out for using "10-4" supposedly it doesnt exsist,, and "we are not truckers dammit, so dont sound like one"

so yes, it definetly varies from agency to agency.
          The problem with 10-4 is that everybody uses it so generally. 10-4 means acknowledgement not affirmative. Eg. "Can you head back to the station?" Or in my department; "can you 10-25 the station." That is not a time when you say "10-4." I mean it's great you acknowledged their traffic but will you head back or not???

My department uses 10 and "11-codes." In most cases I think we should just use plain English but I don't make the rules.
          Last edited by RabbitMPD; 11-15-2005, 09:45 PM.
          It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Most guys now just say "can I get a 28,29 on a veh" .... sad when we even shorten brevity codes

Comment

I heard of 10-codes, but what the heck is 11-codes?

Comment

Ah yes 10-04, I have heard screaming fits on air, over it's use in the St. Louis Area, big no no.

One County I worked for I was dispatching one night, My County used Missouri Highway Patrol 10 codes, The County south of me contacted my County and the Highway Patrol on same broadcast, they advised that there was a 10-10 in progress at county line and that subjects were 10-33 equipped, as the Highway patrol used 10-10 to advise they were out to lunch, I was scratching my head thinking that 10-33 must mean utensils, Highway patrol hopped on and demanded that they transmit clear, and not use non-standard 10-codes. Turns out 10-10 was Fight, and that 10-33 meant weapons, I was dissappointed as I thought we were going to get some free food.
                Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Comment

The 10 codes are the 10 codes, all the rest are considered the radio codes including the station numbers in your case for testing purposes.

Originally posted by Scouts Out
                  Hello,

In prep for my upcoming academy, I've been busy studying about 5 pages of radio codes in my study guide.

I just noticed that in the table of contents, the 10 codes are listed between 2 pages.(out of 5)

So are the 10 codes a specific set of codes, or are all radio codes considered the '10 codes'?

Thanks
                  "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by toby101
                    We don't have a whole lot of 11 codes but we have a few. For instance 11-11 means they are going to give sensitive information over the radio (warrants, gang hits, etc). This way we can come back and tell them if we are clear or not.
                    It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Most jurisdictions use a combination of 10 codes and signals. 10 codes generally refer to an action (in service, enroute, at scene, etc.) and the signals refer to the type of call you are being dispatched to. They do vary from one to another agency and that is why the feds are trying to get local agencies to not use them during major incidents involving multiple agencies.
                      Jerry
                      "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

I'd rather use the "10" code than have every Yahoo out there with a scanner know what I'm requesting when I notify dispatch, "10-50, 10-79!"
                        Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by keith758
                          I'd rather use the "10" code than have every Yahoo out there with a scanner know what I'm requesting when I notify dispatch, "10-50, 10-79!"
                          True, but you don't want to put out "officer needs assistance" when that code means " I'm going on a meal break" to the other guy.
                          Jerry
                          "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

Originally posted by toby101
                            We have 11 codes too, just more short hand. 11-48 = transport, 11-41= ambulance, 11-42 = no ambulance needed, etc

We have "code" codes too - for info that we need to broadcast, but don't want the whole world (media)to know.
                            Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

While I feel the "10" code is necessary in certain delicate situations. I have no problem with any officer stating in plain english that they need help or assistance. Ther public monitoring a scanner doesn't need to know about a robbery in progress, a homicide, a coroner notification, etc.
                              Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6763 users online. 394 members and 6369 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X