Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clocked in Tennessee, ticketed in Alabama?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clocked in Tennessee, ticketed in Alabama?

I commute between Fayetteville, Tennessee and Huntsville, Alabama nearly daily for work and school. There are state troopers in the area daily ticketing people for speeding.

Needless to say, one day I was daydreaming and about the time I crossed the Tennessee/Alabama state line, I noticed a state trooper catching up to me. About 1/4 of a mile into Alabama, I find a good and safe place to pull over (in a business' parking lot)

My issue is, the police officer was a Tennessee state trooper and the ticket was written in Alabama. Is this legitimate? I asked if he could call another police officer to the scene as a second opinion but he refused. I just signed the ticket and went on my way. -- although I did spend roughly an hour in talking with him trying to figure things out.

It just seems to me, if he were to ticket me, he should've brought me back to Tennessee.

As long as the Trooper observed the violation inside of his jurisdiction, he has every right to cite you for it...even if it's outside of his jurisdiction when he manages to perform the stop. This applies to any kind of jurisdiction, from municipality to county to state.

I'm aware of the old myth that, if you cross a state line, law enforcement cannot pursue/enforce/etc because they are outside of their jurisdiction. It is just that...a myth.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Oldv Myth ....... pay ticket if it ever happens .... you would look foolish arguing that point.

Comment

It's called the.....

Uniform Act on Close Pursuit.

As long as he just gave you a ticketand released you, no problem. If he had placed you in handcuffes to bring you back, you would be entitled to a hearing to ensure that the act applied.
        You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Yep, it is a good ticket. I used to work on the IN/OH state line and used to hear the same argument all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowDownThere
            Uniform Act on Close Pursuit.

As long as he just gave you a ticketand released you, no problem. If he had placed you in handcuffes to bring you back, you would be entitled to a hearing to ensure that the act applied.
            Even in that case, it would have been a good arrest. The violator would be be jailed in the state in which (s)he was apprehended until said hearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
              Even in that case, it would have been a good arrest. The violator would be be jailed in the state in which (s)he was apprehended until said hearing.
              You sure? I know that California's compact on fresh pursuit only applies to felonies and state law only allows booking in California jails for felony crimes commited in other states. On top of that, I don't believe the Constitution allows for extradition of misdemeanors.

If we chase them from California into an adjoining state for a misdmeanor and they refuse to sign, we let them go and simply have a warrant issued for their arrest in California.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Clocked in Tenn, ticketed in Alabama

Tennessee Trooper had every right to make the stop and issue the citation in Alabama.

Comment

You've been watching too much Dukes of H***ard reruns, Phaux (geez Bo, if we can only make it to the county line...).

[-- although I did spend roughly an hour in talking with him trying to figure things out.
                  ]

= Interpretation: I argued with the trooper for over an hour and the only reason he didn't pull my left wing *** through the wing window was because he was in another state and the paperwork would have been overbearing.

[I asked if he could call another police officer to the scene as a second opinion but he refused. ]

=Interpretation: See above re: the wing window extraction technique.

Thanks for telling one side of an obvious inaccurate story. Be grateful you weren't locked up and pay the ticket putz.

Comment

Originally posted by phaux
                    I commute between Fayetteville, Tennessee and Huntsville, Alabama nearly daily for work and school. There are state troopers in the area daily ticketing people for speeding.
                    No, really??? Thats what Troopers do.

Needless to say, one day I was daydreaming and about the time I crossed the Tennessee/Alabama state line
                    So, you admit to be careless.

My issue is, the police officer was a Tennessee state trooper and the ticket was written in Alabama.
                    For a violation committed in Tennessee, and your point is?

I asked if he could call another police officer to the scene as a second opinion but he refused.
                    Do your co-workers do your work too?

It just seems to me, if he were to ticket me, he should've brought me back to Tennessee.
                    And you would have turned back to Tennessee so he could have wrote you a ticket?

You should have to pay a moron tax. Instead just pay you ticket.

Comment

On top of that, I don't believe the Constitution allows for extradition of misdemeanors.
                      I don't believe it's covered in that document.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me the whole question is a matter of agreements between states. I know felonies are.

Needless to say, one day I was daydreaming and about the time I crossed the Tennessee/Alabama state line, I noticed a state trooper catching up to me. About 1/4 of a mile into Alabama, I find a good and safe place to pull over (in a business' parking lot)

My issue is, the police officer was a Tennessee state trooper and the ticket was written in Alabama. Is this legitimate? I asked if he could call another police officer to the scene as a second opinion but he refused. I just signed the ticket and went on my way. -- although I did spend roughly an hour in talking with him trying to figure things out.

The ticket signed in Al for a violation committed in Tn and witnessed by the Tn officer who presented the summons, is OK.

Had it been me, and I were across a state line, I too would offer you a chance to sign, but if you were a resident of my state (Va.) and you refused to sign simply because we were two miles into NC., I would have simply said "OK" and just gone back to Va., and secured a warrant, put you in VCIN, and likely served it on you at two AM on my next midnight shift after having about three police cars (couple deputies and my car, all with same bright blue strobes) sitting in your drive way with every light going, spotlights aimed at house windows, and one PA flipped over to radio "just for effect" (for something serious {felony}, I would arrest and take you to the nearest magistrate depending on the agreements in place).

Next time, you would probably jump at the chance to sign a simple summons if offered.

(But I don't live or work that close to a state line, so it's not something I study very closely.)
                      Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 11-14-2005, 09:16 PM.
                      "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
                        You sure? I know that California's compact on fresh pursuit only applies to felonies and state law only allows booking in California jails for felony crimes commited in other states. On top of that, I don't believe the Constitution allows for extradition of misdemeanors.

If we chase them from California into an adjoining state for a misdmeanor and they refuse to sign, we let them go and simply have a warrant issued for their arrest in California.
                        You might have a point... I don't know about misdemeanors. Anytime I was involved with a state-line arrest issue, it was a felony.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1
                          You might have a point... I don't know about misdemeanors. Anytime I was involved with a state-line arrest issue, it was a felony.
                          Yeah, I'm thinking that's pretty much the story here, but no harm in offering him/her the opportunity to sign.

Is that what you would really prefer? Handcuffs, the whole thing? Just curious. Faced with the choice of signing a summons or being brought back across a state line, I think I would prefer to sign and go on.
                          Or maybe you just wish that he was supposed to take you back and his failure to do so is enough to get the charge dropped?
                          Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 11-14-2005, 09:24 PM.
                          "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

I've been involved with extraditions on misdemeanors. Can't say that I've ever seen one for a non-jailable misd, and if you want to talk about Maryland I've seen them refuse to extradite wanted violent felons from across the river in northern VA.
                            "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3885 users online. 271 members and 3614 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X