300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy Questions :)

About how many is a normal/good-sized class? About how many make it all the way through? Why do those who don't make it through fail...like is it mainly due to the academics? Change of heart? Lack of strength...physical or emotional?

Let's say everyone passes an academy. What is the next step after that? Does everyone get going with a field trainer (or whatever that is called)...or do only the cream of the crop cadets move on?

Yah, I'm very CLUELESS about this and would LOVE some feedback. I have my final interview w/ chief next week and unless anything crazy happens from now until January, I'll be starting the academy soon and I'm dying to know some of these answers.

Boy! Questions questions questions!

About how many is a normal/good-sized class?
    Depends. I've seen class averages of around 30-35 where I went through the academy, but that's by no means a hard and fast rule. Academies run by schools or colleges usually limit class size according to the school's guidelines...then there's the question of facilities and space available to them.

About how many make it all the way through?
    Again, it depends on the academy and, sometimes, the state. Some states have tougher guidelines than others...some have more hours required and some have PT requirements, for example. Some academies have reputations for being tougher than others...here in Ohio, the Highway Patrol academy has a reputation for being a dang tough academy. Others, like the "open enrollment" academies, just stick with the state minimum guidelines. My academy had about a 3/4 pass rate.

Why do those who don't make it through fail...like is it mainly due to the academics? Change of heart? Lack of strength...physical or emotional?
    Any or all of these can be factors. The academy can be both physically and emotionally tough. It can be high stress. It can reveal to people that law enforcement just isn't for them.

Let's say everyone passes an academy. What is the next step after that? Does everyone get going with a field trainer (or whatever that is called)...or do only the cream of the crop cadets move on?
    If you've already been hired by a department, and they have a field training program, then you will probably be assigned to a Field Training Officer (FTO). This is where you really start to learn HOW to be a police officer. The academy is good, don't get me wrong...it's the foundation for the officer you will become. Listen to your instructors and learn what they tell you well. But you can't learn law enforcement in the classroom. Experience is the only real teacher in this job.

Good luck
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

my class started as 128...down to 116 now. the bigger the class the easier to stay under the radar!

Comment

Hellokitty,
        My class started with 29 people, and 10 months later (I go part-time) we're down to 22. There's many different reasons people leave, either they fail PT, fail exams, attitude problems etc. Ha we even had one kid get arrested for hitting his girl in the head with a frying pan (I [email protected]*t you not) so obviously he wasn't going to finish, we even had a couple people that simply realized that this wasn't the career choice for them and they dropped out.

Now I don't know how other states work (I'm sure alot do this) but here in PA you can do 1 of two things. 1) Get hired by a department and they'll put you through their county academy or 2) You can put yourself through an academy (which is what I'm doing) and try to get hired after or during your training. I graduate in 3 weeks, and have been taking entrance exams while going through the academy. In fact I just took a test last week and scored 3rd highest, and now preparing for my interview. So, there are so many different reasons people leave, and different ways depaending on where you live.

I hope this helped you a little bit. Good Luck!
        "Do not draw me without honor"

"Do not sheath me without Justice!"

Comment

Thanks, all of you!! That does shed some light. From what I understand in this county, you are 'hired' before you begin the academy. So that's good. Now I just have to make it through. I'm counting on making it in. Haven't been given the official invitation yet, but hope to next week. Very excited. Thx again!!

Comment

A normal class at ALEA here is 25-50 depending on what agencies are sending recruits here. All recruits will be assigned an FTO upon completion. As to why people wash out--change of priorities,can't cut it physically, can't handle the stress and/or academics.there's alot of reasons. Let me give you a little advice---You have the opportunity to have a career many people only watch or dream about.In return all the Academy is asking is that you give 110% for 16,18 weeks or 6onths or whatever itis. In return you'll have a 20-25yr career with retirement & benefits that people in the private sector only dream about.That sounds like a good trade-off to me .Good luck & enjoy the Academy & your career

Comment

Another big factor in the washout rate in an academy is how many former military are in your class.

Former military are less likely to washout as they have gone through a boot camp and are used to rigid procedures and discipline.

Comment

USAcop is right, being in the military I knew that the academy wouldn't be as difficult for me but, most of all I want nothing more right now than to be a cop. That in itself has been my driving force even in my current job search, I want it and I will get it no matter how long it takes. Your drive, and passion for it is what will help you through kitty (atleast that's what I believe).

I don't know what kind of shape your in right now but, I would start running and doing push-ups now, this will put you a little bit ahead if not prepare you for what's to come. Even if you do 10 push-ups when you get up every day, it's something. When I'm able to I do 25 push-ups every half hour or hour depending on where I am. Remember For everyday you don't workout, those guys in prison are!!

Pain is only weakness leaving the body.
                "Do not draw me without honor"

"Do not sheath me without Justice!"

Comment

llllllllllll
                  Last edited by VAsteve20; 11-17-2005, 04:00 PM.

Comment

omg.

Well, if I wasn't too nervous before, I definitely am now. I can't seem to build my endurance up to get past a few miles. I guess I'll try...

Comment

You will do fine kitty. Just NEVER quit! Heart can make all the difference when things get tough.

Trust me, if I can make it through Bootcamp, Fire Academy AND Police Academy, you can do this. Be positive, work hard and Never, Never quit!

Comment

llllllllllllllll
                        Last edited by VAsteve20; 11-17-2005, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks AKFireCop, I got lazy over the last couple months, but I have 7.5 weeks to go now til January 4th. I hope I can get past where I was in September by then...I'll give it my all.

VASteve, the dept. I'm going for is Prince William Va. I don't know yet if I'm definitely in. Hopefully, this meeting with the chief & captain on Friday will end my wait. I have to just get my mind prepared for this. I hate exercise until I get into it. Then I usually burn out after awhile. I have 7 weeks or so until it starts...it's time to shake off that annoying laziness of mine. Everything in my brain tells me to just do it and quit whining. I wish there were an academy that was 100% academics! Maybe I can be a consultant of some sort that just sits in the back of cars and gives advice? I'm just kidding. But honestly, with all this physical activity coming my way, I wouldn't mind just being a FT ride-along. lol....
                          Last edited by hellokitty; 11-13-2005, 10:42 AM.

Comment

HELLOKITTY,

If you want to get motivated by running watch the movie "chariots of fire" or "Running brave"

Running brave is about a native american who had no chance of winning his olympic race but ended up winning due to his determination. its a true story

Comment

I might give that a shot. My stupid brother told me to download a bunch of Rocky songs into my Ipod. Of course, he likes to make fun of me and said "Knowing you, that would be the only way to get you motivated"...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6445 users online. 345 members and 6100 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X