Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Being skinny

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Being skinny

    Hey everyone,

    One of the things that is keeping me from applying to the local police is my size. I am a male, and definetely skinny. I am 5'10, and weigh 140 pounds. While my fitness level is not top notch, I do not feel I would have a problem passing the fitness exam.

    What are your thoughts (as an officer) of someone who is quite skinny? Would you have a problem working with them because they aren't as physically imposing as most of the other male cops? Should I let my weight issues stop me from applying?

    I have always been this way. Since leaving high school 5 years ago, I have gained maybe 15 pounds. I do not have an eating disorder, I am just naturally skinny.

    Any thoughts? Thanks.

    Edit- I guess I posted this in the wrong area...sorry.

  • #2
    Originally posted by johnpr
    Hey everyone,

    One of the things that is keeping me from applying to the local police is my size. I am a male, and definetely skinny. I am 5'10, and weigh 140 pounds. While my fitness level is not top notch, I do not feel I would have a problem passing the fitness exam.

    What are your thoughts (as an officer) of someone who is quite skinny? Would you have a problem working with them because they aren't as physically imposing as most of the other male cops? Should I let my weight issues stop me from applying?

    I have always been this way. Since leaving high school 5 years ago, I have gained maybe 15 pounds. I do not have an eating disorder, I am just naturally skinny.

    Any thoughts? Thanks.

    Edit- I guess I posted this in the wrong area...sorry.
    Before I became a Deputy Sheriff, I worked at a close-security prison in 2000. I walked into a block on my first day weighing at 146 lbs, at 5'8.

    "The giant is as the giant does." Ever hear of that? If not, let me assure you that people in general (yes, criminals too) respect someone more for the way they carry themselves. They are also more inclined to listen to directions from this kind of person. Size matters? Yes and No. You'll find there are people that love to challenge big people because they have something to prove. You'll find people who try smaller people because they underestimate them.
    Statistically speaking, LEO's who's killers were later interviewed about as to why they did it had one thing in common when asked: They all thought at some point that they could "take" the officer. A confident (not cocky) officer who carries themselves well would make a less tempting target.

    Criminals can sense fear. Carry yourself well; look people in the eye, stand with a good posture and speak not only firmly, but clearly. Have confidence in yourself. Keep physically fit wether you're big or small. Above all- no matter how often you'll hear discouragement; usually from fat-*** officers-
    Do not give up in your efforts. Good luck, Beanpole.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hey, they hire girls don't they.

      You'll not be having much of a problem, I'm thinking.
      Kelly

      We are the thin blue line
      between you
      and all the money in the world.

      And no you can't have any.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm 5'10 and about 140 too. I'm gonna start hitting the gym and eating more though. If you're determined, putting on the pounds is not impossible. Takes motivation and discipline. Both qualities I could use more of . I have a friend who was at about my size around his senior year of highschool. He started eating a lot (eating the right foods (not junk) and he started lifting religiously. He is know at about 160ish.

        Comment


        • #5
          Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the fight in the dog that counts.......or something like that.

          I heard that on one of those nike commercials.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JustDontDie
            . If you're determined, putting on the pounds is not impossible. Takes motivation and discipline.
            Actually, if you look around at some of your fellow officers........

            You'll find it didn't take much discipline or determination to put on those extra pounds!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by blackandgold978
              Actually, if you look around at some of your fellow officers........

              You'll find it didn't take much discipline or determination to put on those extra pounds!
              haha yeah you're right. I meant in a healthy manner.

              Comment


              • #8
                I know. I was just pulling yer chain a bit.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Sup slinky limbs

                  Originally posted by blackandgold978
                  Good luck, Beanpole.
                  hahahahahahaha

                  I am reed thin to bro, 6' and change and a buck 50 here, but I will absolutely fold someone bigger than me in a scuffle if I have to. Im the smallest person on my hockey team, but the one who's got the most knock out blows against players twice my size when an open ice hit is thrown. Like Preseason said "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog" If you can handle yourself well at that weight, you'll be fine. Thats why I havent let the weight issue hold me back from applying to various departments. Hit the weights, thats how Im getting rid of my lankyness

                  PittsburghKid
                  Reputation is the cornerstone of power

                  Rest in Peace: Officer David "Hazel" Pugh; Neville Island Police Department; I'll miss you friend

                  PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY POLICE
                  Written - Passed
                  Physical test - Passed
                  Background Investigation - Finished
                  Oral Board - Passed
                  Polygraph - Passed
                  Chief's Decision - Pending
                  Medical Exam - Pending Chief's Decision
                  Psycological Exam - Pending Chief's Decision

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks for all the responses. Your words mean a lot, and they are very inspirational.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Being skinny.

                      Hit the gym. Start applying. Start applying. Hit the gym. Get my drift? Go for it!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hitting the gym and taking a good protein shake will help out a lot.

                        I don't gain weight easy but I was working out 3 days a week taking a weightgainer protein shake and I gained about 15 lbs in 2 months.

                        You can learn a lot at bodybuilding.com

                        GL

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Putting on pounds

                          Originally posted by JustDontDie
                          I'm 5'10 and about 140 too. I'm gonna start hitting the gym and eating more though. If you're determined, putting on the pounds is not impossible. Takes motivation and discipline. Both qualities I could use more of . I have a friend who was at about my size around his senior year of highschool. He started eating a lot (eating the right foods (not junk) and he started lifting religiously. He is know at about 160ish.

                          Excuse me for chukling. But for me, putting on pounds doesn't take discipline and motivation. Keeping them off does. I gain weight when I smell food.
                          You can now follow me on twitter.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by SlowDownThere
                            Excuse me for chukling. But for me, putting on pounds doesn't take discipline and motivation. Keeping them off does. I gain weight when I smell food.
                            haha yes, just depends on the body type. It's harder to gain weight healthily then to lose it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by SlowDownThere
                              Excuse me for chukling. But for me, putting on pounds doesn't take discipline and motivation. Keeping them off does. I gain weight when I smell food.
                              I have a pretty easy time of gaining weight, muscle or fat. But for these skinny ectomorph guys, gaining muscle is a challenge and takes discipline in the gym and smart eating.
                              *Not a cop*

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6326 users online. 339 members and 5987 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X