X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wannabeenytrp
    replied
    Originally posted by SinePari
    I assume you were driving on the Mass Turnpike, where there's only a handful of Troopers to patrol the entire length, from Boston to the NY line.

Now if you get on one of the other interstates, 91, 95, 84, 91...then that's another story.
    yeah, I-90...

Stay Safe!

Leave a comment:

• SinePari
    replied
    Originally posted by wannabeenytrp
    I used to drive from MA to NY on a regular basis, 120 miles in MA and 268 miles through NY. Granted I was driving in NY more but I almost never saw MA Troopers and always saw the NYSP (8-12 cars was typical).
    I assume you were driving on the Mass Turnpike, where there's only a handful of Troopers to patrol the entire length, from Boston to the NY line.

Now if you get on one of the other interstates, 91, 95, 84, 91...then that's another story.

Leave a comment:

• wannabeenytrp
    replied
    Originally posted by SinePari
    Our dept has a minimum manning that HAS to be met every shift. If people only see 1 or 2 Troopers on patrol in a particular area, it's usually because the others are at the barracks doing reports or an invest somewhere.

Other times there will be a Blue Blitz campaign, usually right before a holiday weekend. It's when all of the admin and specialty unit Troopers get back on the road and hammer the motoring public for traffic violations. Then you'll see 5 or 6 cruisers within a few miles of each other writing Vs.

I used to drive from MA to NY on a regular basis, 120 miles in MA and 268 miles through NY. Granted I was driving in NY more but I almost never saw MA Troopers and always saw the NYSP (8-12 cars was typical).

Motorists in MA drove much faster but when MA troopers pull vehicles over they often pull 2 and 3 at a time (more so 2)... I am a recent graduate so I don't have much road time, but I have tried twice to pull over 2 cars, once I succeeded and the other time the second motorist got off an exit... Ah well, what can you do?

Leave a comment:

• SinePari
    replied
    Our dept has a minimum manning that HAS to be met every shift. If people only see 1 or 2 Troopers on patrol in a particular area, it's usually because the others are at the barracks doing reports or an invest somewhere.

Other times there will be a Blue Blitz campaign, usually right before a holiday weekend. It's when all of the admin and specialty unit Troopers get back on the road and hammer the motoring public for traffic violations. Then you'll see 5 or 6 cruisers within a few miles of each other writing Vs.

Leave a comment:

• purdinpopo
    replied
    hey I had a rollover in a patrol car equipped with a cage. I was north on a State Blacktop, crested a hill, Truck coming south in my lane, I went as far right as I could, I was in a 99 CVPI, no anti-locks, went into a skid, slid into the ditch on the right, hit a culvert, popped the car and spun me. I suffered a concussion, My Pepper spray canister broke one of my ribs on the left side (It did not leak though). The idiot that caused the accident was able to open my door, I was hung in the seat belt. I gave him my boot knife which had never seen use in the ten years I had carried it, to cut me down, I figured it was hard telling where the thing would end up if I cut myself down. All four doors worked, only the back glass was broken and that by the culvert. When I visited the car at the body shop where it was being stripped for parts, the roof was "tented up" over where the cage had been. So all in all I am all for roll bar cages even if they do rob me of a couple inches of leg room, they might just save your life.

Leave a comment:

• Fryd
    replied
    Very good topic that deals with the 2 most frequently asked questions that are posed to me.

1.Why are you by yourself?
    2. Hey Trooper where is your cage?

I work in a fairly large county with a couple of city agencies and a decent sized sheriff's dept. Although I do frequently run calls that take me 30 minutes or more from the nearest backup.

We are a full service State Police agency and take the majority of calls regardless of where they may originate.

Its also good to hear from some of the other Troopers out there on this board, just to see how the other side lives.

Leave a comment:

• gotthblues
    replied
    Originally posted by USAcop
    Cages are nescessary for officer safety.

Ours are installed to offer some protection in a roll over crash.
    ive heard that before, but the way that ours were installed, they wouldnt have done crap for us in a roll over, except maybe squash your head through your butt.

Leave a comment:

• USAcop
    replied
    Cages are nescessary for officer safety.

Ours are installed to offer some protection in a roll over crash.

Leave a comment:

• gotthblues
    replied
    Originally posted by PeteBroccolo
    VSP obviously does not install protective screens in your patrol cars. No insult intended, but why won't VSP do that?

I certainly understand carrying a whole load of forms and other gear, but why not put the box up front in the right front seat?
    i dont travel far from home often, but i never see any trprs with screens or cages, my old pd got away from cages, it was nice cause im 6-3, but they did it just so the city could save money,, , no that doesnt happen.

Leave a comment:

• SWATcop
    replied
    In the county that I work in, it's not uncommon for a Trooper for the Florida Highway Patrol to be the only one working in the county for his shift. It's strange - some nights you'll see 4 or 5 Troopers, and other times there will be only 1. As someone else stated, we try to cover each other, especially if we know that an agency is not well staffed on a particular evening. The problem that we have is that not everyone can moniter each other's radio frequencies. We have circumvented that problem to a degree by using Nextel.

Leave a comment:

• PeteBroccolo
    replied
    Originally posted by t150vsuptpr
    I don't let no body ride behind my seat, I keep so much strapped in it. I have a box, big and wooden, strapped in the center of the rear seat for forms, etc. It is secured by the center seat belt. I very rarely even allow anyone into the left rear seat, almost always only in wrecks once I see they are OK (like when I have two drivers, and it's raining, and such. The one that is drunk is always going up front).
    I have been playing with ways of locating the M4 or 870 on midnight or evening shift there behind my seat where it is more readily available than the trunk and not so available to a left front seat passenger.
    VSP obviously does not install protective screens in your patrol cars. No insult intended, but why won't VSP do that?

I certainly understand carrying a whole load of forms and other gear, but why not put the box up front in the right front seat?

Leave a comment:

• t150vsuptpr
    replied
    If worse comes to worse we could of course go to the M4 rifle though in a pinch I imagine you'd be hard pressed to get to it.

I don't let no body ride behind my seat, I keep so much strapped in it. I have a box, big and wooden, strapped in the center of the rear seat for forms, etc. It is secured by the center seat belt. I very rarely even allow anyone into the right rear seat, almost always only in wrecks once I see they are OK (like when I have two drivers, and it's raining, and such. The one that is drunk is always going up front).
    I have been playing with ways of locating the M4 or 870 on midnight or evening shift there behind my seat where it is more readily available than the trunk and not so available to a left front seat passenger.
    Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 11-11-2005, 06:11 AM. Reason: should have said "right" rear seat ???????

Leave a comment:

• purdinpopo
    replied
    10-55 is a drunk driver

10-56 is a drunk pedestrian

In Missouri it is legal to ride your horse if you are drunk, however if the horse is drunk you are going to have a problem....

Leave a comment:

• vsp645
    replied
    Round Total

Originally posted by wannabeenytrp
    You only have 37 rounds???

Unless you count the rounds still left in the box, then yeah we only have 37 ready to go. 13 rounds plus two 12 round reloads. It gets the job done. If worse comes to worse we could of course go to the M4 rifle though in a pinch I imagine you'd be hard pressed to get to it.

Leave a comment:

• Matto
    replied
    Anyone familiar with how Texas DPS is as far as having back up? I know some states have more troopers per population than others. Kind of how I went through california and saw 10 troopers but going through New Mexico I didn't see one.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3766 users online. 261 members and 3505 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X