Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michigan State Police double up at night....

I hear that the troopers are scared of the dark

Comment

Where I work, we have about a dozen troopers total, sometimes 13, sometimes 10 ... depending on who just transfered where, etc ... it did drop to a total of 8 in the mid '80s as budgets were frozen and several retirements hit us here in the area at once.

They try to schedule 2 on days and 2 on evening shifts, and then the midnight (10pm-6am) man that pulls it 7 nights in a row, then it's on to the next man.

We have a great relationship with two small cities here and the county sheriff's dept. that usually has one or two men on midnight as well. On traffic stops, you know you are likely alone, but they don't.
      Sometimes at night when I am up at the drivers door talking, I will make a comment out loud to my buddy "Stick" over there in the dark (he's fictitious, but again ... they don't know that) like "Yeah, just watch that side" or "No, that's OK" or something, as if he asked a question or something. I do tend to show my attitude of "I am going home, at any costs".

Even in the day, even when several are working, we may well be 25 miles apart when making stops, etc. If we hear some one running a 10-27/28/29 and there is anything unusual in the voice, we start that way. If they get something a bit special, we start that way. If it's a big wreck and they will maybe just need traffic control or a hand with the paperwork, we start that way. We start that way a lot.

We don't argue over who makes an arrest, so long as it's made when needed and no one is hurt. There are no turf wars here. Get the job done, no one's looking for special "recognition".

You get used to it, you develope strategies (this being a public forum, I'll keep most of mine to myself) of dealing with it. You learn to live with it as if it's natural and you maintain an air of confidence, no matter what you really feel. You quickly learn to never depend on anyone to watch your ***, because most of the time ... there is no one (and that may not be so bad, as some studies have shown that two man cars can be a hazard when both officers start counting on the other to watch their ***, and both can get lazy about it and soon ... no one is watching anyone's *** except the witress's ... but that's another story).

Main thing is to cultivate and maintain a good working relationship whith your local depts and individual officers. Don't be demeaning of them behind their backs at the local coffee stops, don't be gosiping about the men. Be mutually supportive of them, be happy when you get called to a scene in the city and they just want some advice about a truck's size or weight or the driver's CDL. Ask them to sit with you when you see them eating at the same restuirant as you are.

They are all great guys ... every one of them.
      Last edited by tbear853; 10-07-2005, 11:41 PM.
      Adios amigos.

Comment

I agree TBEAR, don't depend on back-up, makes you sharper in situations when your on your own alot....

Comment

I think I can handle the "alone" of a trooper. I think you're all right about the mental attitude of things. Also faking a partner would be I guess a good thing unless you ask the subject to step out of the car and he doesn't see anyone. Then he'll think you're crazy and that's proably just as good! LOL! Are there any Missouri Troopers on the forums? Anyway to track them down and ask them questions about it!? I posted in the state forums in Missouri, however doesn't look like many people at least for the Missouri side look at those forums! Anyone know of any trooper websites either? Also do you think my first couple years I would be stationed out in the middle of nowhere? Anyhow I suppose the ride along will really help me out! Anyone have any tips on GAINING weight? I'm like 5'10 130lbs I need to get toned etc... Any area of expertise and furthermore a diet to go on? I know that's kinda out of the blue but figured I would ask!

Thanks again!

Comment

I just looked and realized that you live in Springfield. I work some 60 miles south of you and also used to live in Springfield and Ozark.

Anyhow, if you were really interested and dedicated, then I'd definately say look into Missouri State Highway Patrol. I have yet to meet a Trooper that I wouldn't want beside me in a knock-down, drag-out.

I occasionally work with guys from Troop G, they usually lurk and try and horn in our 10-55's and the like, but it's all fair game I guess.

On the back up issue...you just have to figure out how and when to amp up the tactical officer survival skills. I don't care how fast your back up can get there but I'm betting that it's not 1,200 fps+

CYA is the best policy, avoid dumb mistakes and know when you can't handle a situation...just about any situation affords you the opportunity to "back up, tac up, and go back in."

Comment

What department do you work for? What is a 10-55?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by VSP734
                A few months ago, a guy I work with pulled over a car with 5 guys. One guy said, "Trooper, you do realize that there's 5 of us and only 1 of you, right?" His reponse was, "you do realize that I have 37 bullets, right?" They didn't say anything for the rest of the stop.

Anyway, in my county in VA we only have 3 Troopers total. There's no midnight shift because we don't have an interstate, although we are on call at night. There will usually be 1 Trooper and 1 or 2 deputies out for the whole county. If we need backup, we rely on a deputy or a Trooper from a neighboring county.
                You only have 37 rounds???
                Can you say DYNASTY? Go Patriots!

Comment

I used to ask my in service students "what is out there that is worth your life?" We can always drop back, follow from a great distance, and wait for backup - that's why they invented overtime!
                  "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                  John Stuart Mill

Comment

Anyone familiar with how Texas DPS is as far as having back up? I know some states have more troopers per population than others. Kind of how I went through california and saw 10 troopers but going through New Mexico I didn't see one.

Comment

Round Total

Originally posted by wannabeenytrp
                      You only have 37 rounds???

Unless you count the rounds still left in the box, then yeah we only have 37 ready to go. 13 rounds plus two 12 round reloads. It gets the job done. If worse comes to worse we could of course go to the M4 rifle though in a pinch I imagine you'd be hard pressed to get to it.

Comment

10-55 is a drunk driver

10-56 is a drunk pedestrian

In Missouri it is legal to ride your horse if you are drunk, however if the horse is drunk you are going to have a problem....
                        Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Comment

If worse comes to worse we could of course go to the M4 rifle though in a pinch I imagine you'd be hard pressed to get to it.

I don't let no body ride behind my seat, I keep so much strapped in it. I have a box, big and wooden, strapped in the center of the rear seat for forms, etc. It is secured by the center seat belt. I very rarely even allow anyone into the right rear seat, almost always only in wrecks once I see they are OK (like when I have two drivers, and it's raining, and such. The one that is drunk is always going up front).
                          I have been playing with ways of locating the M4 or 870 on midnight or evening shift there behind my seat where it is more readily available than the trunk and not so available to a left front seat passenger.
                          Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 11-11-2005, 05:11 AM. Reason: should have said "right" rear seat ???????
                          "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr
                            I don't let no body ride behind my seat, I keep so much strapped in it. I have a box, big and wooden, strapped in the center of the rear seat for forms, etc. It is secured by the center seat belt. I very rarely even allow anyone into the left rear seat, almost always only in wrecks once I see they are OK (like when I have two drivers, and it's raining, and such. The one that is drunk is always going up front).
                            I have been playing with ways of locating the M4 or 870 on midnight or evening shift there behind my seat where it is more readily available than the trunk and not so available to a left front seat passenger.
                            VSP obviously does not install protective screens in your patrol cars. No insult intended, but why won't VSP do that?

I certainly understand carrying a whole load of forms and other gear, but why not put the box up front in the right front seat?
                            #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                            Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                            RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                            Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                            "Smile" - no!

Comment

In the county that I work in, it's not uncommon for a Trooper for the Florida Highway Patrol to be the only one working in the county for his shift. It's strange - some nights you'll see 4 or 5 Troopers, and other times there will be only 1. As someone else stated, we try to cover each other, especially if we know that an agency is not well staffed on a particular evening. The problem that we have is that not everyone can moniter each other's radio frequencies. We have circumvented that problem to a degree by using Nextel.
                              If it wasn't for STUPID PEOPLE I'd be unemployed.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo
                                VSP obviously does not install protective screens in your patrol cars. No insult intended, but why won't VSP do that?

I certainly understand carrying a whole load of forms and other gear, but why not put the box up front in the right front seat?
                                i dont travel far from home often, but i never see any trprs with screens or cages, my old pd got away from cages, it was nice cause im 6-3, but they did it just so the city could save money,, , no that doesnt happen.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4196 users online. 285 members and 3911 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X