300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chewing some lady's ***

Ok so here I am just after shutting down the highway due to a vehicle fatality(0230 hrs). I have about 20 flares set up(looking like a x-mas tree) blocking the highway leadng people to an off-ramp.
    I am parked sideways in the roadway with my over heads on. Now I've been sitting this way for about 2 hours already with every car going where it's supposed to(I'm sitting in may car it's 37 degrees).
    I have left a small gap about 1/2 a car length in one row to allow tow trucks, police etc through.
    Now a group of cars pass by with all getting off except the last one who drives through the pattern and then down the hill increasing speed back to 65. About 200 yards down are a bunch of officers on foot mapping the scene.
    I have to leave my post and hual down the hill to stop this car beofre she plows into some cops.
    When I stop her I ask her what made her think she could go down the hill. She replies that no one was around to tell her that she couldn't. I get mad and raise my voice telling her that the other cars in front got off and if she saw the 20 flares. As I'm speaking to her she talks over me and I then ask her if she is going to "shut up" and left me talk. Now she states that I have no right to speak to her that way so(due to past complaint) I told her I was sorry for saying "shut up" but continued to chew her butt with a rasied voice.
    Now its VERY RARE that I yell at someone but this really ticked me off. I wrote her a cite and she still argued with me about.
    Well now I feel bad and am worried about a complaint against me.
    The question is am I just being a worrywart or did I do wrong? I feel like calling her to say sorry but I'm afarid that it will screw me if I do.

PS Sorry for the long post just want to paint the picture.

TGY
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

you've got a conscience.....( i think i spelled that wrong)

I wouldn't sweat it..Ive been there before..You write somebody a cite or chew somebody out and then a hour goes by and you start thinking you screwed up...

Don't worry, I think its just called being human..

If you feel that bad about it, and feel like she didn't deserve the citation, I'd go to court and have it either dismissed or amended..

Dont feel bad admitting your wrong.Says alot about your character..

Good Luck..
    ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

Do not dismiss this charge or apologize any further! You feeling bad about it does NOT relinquish the fact that she violated the law and jeopardized the lives of many LEOs and others on the scene.

I understand your feeling of the complaint issue, and my advise is, to get over this one and next time... don't chew ***, just give a ticket professionally, bluntly and courteously and thats it.

Even when someone deserves an "*** chewing" and the public expects it (or should - considering what violation they committed), there are still "boundaries" (i.e. "shut up", name-calling", finger pointing, etc.).

And I have been in your shoes with past complaints, so I know your frustration, but we DO NOT win in the end.

So...Cite and Release! Good luck to you !
      Charlie 31, HPPD

"Evil is a fact not to be explained away, but to be accepted; and accepted not to be endured, but to be conquered. It is a challenge neither to our reason nor to our patience, but to our courage."

Comment

Wow!

It's 37 degrees there? Man, it was like 84 here.
        You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

I had a incident last year here in Kodiak, We had an accident that supprisingly wasn't a fatality. I had my 1990 Suburban parked blocking off the road along with some flares directing traffic onto the base, when some lady who apparently didn't notice the 30 cars turning onto base tried to hit my Suburban. Her answer "I was trying to get to the Flats". I had my first complaint yesterday. I stopped a kid for a simple violation, and before I know it, his mom pulled up in another vehicle and got out. I told her for officer safety and hers she could not be here and to leave. She tried to pull the I'm him mom card, I again told her for safety reasons to leave. She then wanted to know what he did and I told her that if he wanted to tell her, he can when he gets home. She V lined right towards our office to complain. I hate it when people think just because we are MP's they can just come up on stops. No butt chewing for me, thanks to the tape recorder!

Joe

Comment

1)Its never a good idea to chew someone out and write a ticket Chose one or the other. I have many times chewed someone out too much to write them a ticket.

Try to chew people out in a way to show you seem to care about their safety.

Emphasize how important it is to watch their driving around stopped police vehicles. I explain to people how we had 32 patrol cars hit last year stopped with their emergency lights. We are much more likely to get injured by getting hit at crash scenes than getting shot I explain to them I have a bad back from getting hit while I was parked on the right shoulder with my overhead lights on. I have a sore back I deal with everyday and hope I will be able to retire.

If you, your husband, son or daughter was working as a police officer how would you like people to drive next to patrol cars?

They dont have much to say to me except to apologize.
            Last edited by USAcop; 10-05-2005, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Who cares why she did it...just write her and kick her....wish I could take my own advice.....Sometimes you cannot help serving up a youdumbidiotfool sammich to the vehicularly challenged.
              Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

Chewing some lady's -----

She'll probably drop a dime on you. Take the "counseling" and move on. Dont' pull the citation. If she goes to court, what you said, or how you said it shouldn't be an issue, simply the violation. "Driving with head up**&^ and mind in neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by DUI_eliminator
                  If you ever think you are going to get beefed, issue the ticket. Don't let people use the "I'm going to beef you" card to try and get out of a cite.

I have tried to give breaks and not cite when I thought I was going to get beefed. I got beefed once and the WC asked me why I did not issue the cite.

You stopped her for a legit reason, she got made and you cited her. She asked for it. She could have easily just apologized for the mistake, but she took it to the next level. I would have cited her and then telephoned the WC and gave him the heads up. It looks better when you call the WC first.
                  I agree with DUI eliminator 100 % Good post.

Comment

Originally posted by USCGjoker
                    I had a incident last year here in Kodiak, We had an accident that supprisingly wasn't a fatality. I had my 1990 Suburban parked blocking off the road along with some flares directing traffic onto the base, when some lady who apparently didn't notice the 30 cars turning onto base tried to hit my Suburban. Her answer "I was trying to get to the Flats". I had my first complaint yesterday. I stopped a kid for a simple violation, and before I know it, his mom pulled up in another vehicle and got out. I told her for officer safety and hers she could not be here and to leave. She tried to pull the I'm him mom card, I again told her for safety reasons to leave. She then wanted to know what he did and I told her that if he wanted to tell her, he can when he gets home. She V lined right towards our office to complain. I hate it when people think just because we are MP's they can just come up on stops. No butt chewing for me, thanks to the tape recorder!

Joe
                    oh its not cause you are an mp it happens to city/county/state police too......i personally think its funny when people act like that, i just keep my calm and that ****es them off even more

Comment

Originally posted by SlowDownThere
                      It's 37 degrees there? Man, it was like 84 here.

Rub it in you SOB!

If you ever think you are going to get beefed, issue the ticket. Don't let people use the "I'm going to beef you" card to try and get out of a cite.
                      This is what the majority of other officers have said too.
                      After the stop I told the Sgt. who was at the scene about to give him a heads up. Lucky for me he creates more complaints then he handles.

TGY
                      Last edited by That Guy; 10-06-2005, 10:19 PM.
                      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by Arresting Lady
                        Charlie, I think I'm in love.

/blush
                        Charlie 31, HPPD

"Evil is a fact not to be explained away, but to be accepted; and accepted not to be endured, but to be conquered. It is a challenge neither to our reason nor to our patience, but to our courage."

Comment

I am going to weigh in on this one by quoting the Good Book (and no, I'm not one of those religious types that Bible thumps every situation ... I just think the Bible captures the essence on this subject.)

"Be ye angry, and sin not" (Eph.4:26)

Sometimes it is completely appropriate to show a certain level of righteous indignation without rising to the level of inappropriateness. Of course, each department may have varying philosophies and/or regulations regarding this, but I do believe there is a time and place for letting someone know, in no uncertain terms, they messed up badly .. particularly when officer and/or public safety is compromised. I do not, however, believe name calling, profanity, or excessive emotion is within bounds. That being said, I would lie to say I never messed up in this regard. The best thing, in my opinion, is wait it out and see what happens. Don't reopen the wound by making contact with this common sense deprived individual.
                          Poor soul, he was so high-strung. Afraid the strain was more than he could bear.

Comment

Self Control Needed Here

You need to learn some self control. A pattern of citzen complaints due to you chewin' *** as you put it could be a serious blow to your career.
                            Instead write the ticket, Smiling all the time, With full knowledge that ticket copy is just gonna FUBAR their day better then any words out of your mouth.

Comment

If you get called in, bring in the list of Police officers, EMS, and FF killed under just such circumstances this year. (More officers died in accidents than gunfights last year.) Tell your boss, "OK, I got "PO"ed because I know every person on the scene, and I worried that she was going to kill them.
                              Now, would you rather yell at me, or tell the widows of our officers how it was too bad this woman ran them down?
                              What you did was have a normal reaction to an abnormal circumstance.
                              PLEASE, do not pull the ticket!
                              "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                              John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3031 users online. 147 members and 2884 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X