300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbus Ohio stress test

Maybe Bodie can help with this question, or another applicant who has gone through the process already.
    I passed my oral board and am anxiously awaiting the ok from the Columbus Police Chief to continue on to the stress test part of the hiring process. I was wandering if any one here knows how the test is administered. I do know its a treadmill run, but no one seems to know how long or how far an applicant has to run. I want to make sure i'm able to pass with ease, and not have wasted the last year going through the process.
    Thanks in advance.

Fordfreak

The "stress test" is not strictly for the Columbus Police Dept. In Ohio, you have to pass a large physical, including a cardiac stress test, to be admitted into the " Ohio Police and Fire pension fund", which, I believe, all full time police dept's officers are part of, that is why you are taking that test. From others that I have talked to, and my personal experience, how long and fast you must run is determined by the cardiologist administering the test, something about getting your heart beat up to a certain level...It is not hard, and I HATE to run, if you are otherwise healthy, dont sweat it. Hope this helps.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Comment

I did it. It's medical stress endurance test and it's hard. They push you to your lomits to see how your herat etc can take the stress. You feel like crap afterwards so get a good nights sleep and wear good walking or running shoes
      and loose comfortable clothes. You may do it at Grant Sports Med or someplace similiar

Comment

eat a light breakfast before hand that way you have the energy.

you'll get through it
        Go ahead and run! My dog is hungry!

Comment

Reason for Editing.
          Last edited by lazycop; 02-15-2010, 04:38 PM.
          Work smarter not harder!

Comment

Originally posted by NPD21
            The "stress test" is not strictly for the Columbus Police Dept. In Ohio, you have to pass a large physical, including a cardiac stress test, to be admitted into the " Ohio Police and Fire pension fund", which, I believe, all full time police dept's officers are part of, that is why you are taking that test. From others that I have talked to, and my personal experience, how long and fast you must run is determined by the cardiologist administering the test, something about getting your heart beat up to a certain level...It is not hard, and I HATE to run, if you are otherwise healthy, dont sweat it. Hope this helps.
            Ummmm.........just where are you getting this information from? I never had to pass this test to become certified in Ohio. (2004) I DID have to pass the physical fitness test (Which is a requirement for OPOTA certification) in accordance with standards set by the Cooper Institute in Texas...... but it's not administered by a cardiologist, it's administered by academy cadre. And it consists of a 1.5 mile run, push-ups and sit-ups.

CPD may have this requirement as part of their departmental hiring standards........but it is NOT a requirement to become a certified LEO here in Ohio, or to be admitted into PERS-LE.

Comment

Originally posted by blackandgold978
              Ummmm.........just where are you getting this information from? I never had to pass this test to become certified in Ohio. (2004) I DID have to pass the physical fitness test (Which is a requirement for OPOTA certification) in accordance with standards set by the Cooper Institute in Texas...... but it's not administered by a cardiologist, it's administered by academy cadre. And it consists of a 1.5 mile run, push-ups and sit-ups.

CPD may have this requirement as part of their departmental hiring standards........but it is NOT a requirement to become a certified LEO here in Ohio, or to be admitted into PERS-LE.
              The stress test is a requirement of any officers who pay into the Police & Fire retirement fund, it is not required for PERS-LE. When I took mine I was told the department could still hire you if you fail you just wouldn't get certain benefits from Police & Fire.

The test is pretty easy though its worse worrying about taking it than it is to actually take it

Comment

the best part was having the hot chick shave your chest before applying the ekg censors......

Comment

Sheriff's Deputies in Ohio are PERS LE.
                  Most POLICE officers are Police & Fire if they are civil service.
                  Totally different pension funds.

Comment

Ah..... now it's clear. Thanks for clarification.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I heard a few different versions of what the test consisted of. One of them consisted of running on the treadmill while inclined at a pace of 1 1/2 miles in under 12 minutes.

Fordfreak

Comment

If you're out of shape it will kick your butt hard.

Comment

I took the stress test for Columbus PD about two weeks ago. you start walking on a treadmill and then run. I think they wanted you to go for 10-15 minutes. The only part that is bad is that you can only breath through a tube in your mouth and they close off your nose. Wasn't the worst thing I ever did but wouldn't want to do it again.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6633 users online. 347 members and 6286 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X